Register to reply

Mean Free Path of an Electron -

by dekoi
Tags: electron, free, path, urgent
Share this thread:
dekoi
Nov23-05, 08:32 PM
P: n/a
An electron can be thought of as a point particle with zero radius.
Find an expression for the mean free path of an electron through a gas.

The mean free path of an electron can be represented by:
[tex]\lambda = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2} \pi \frac{N}{V} r^2}[/tex]

Electrons travel through L = 3 km in the Stanford Linear Accelerator. In order for scattering losses to be negligible, the pressure inside the accerlator tube must be reduced to the point where the mean free path is at least 50 km. What is the maximum possible pressure inside the accelerator tube, assuming T = 293 K?

By using the equation [tex] \lambda = \frac{L}{N_{coll}}[/tex]
[tex] N_{coll} = \frac{L}{\lambda } = \frac{3}{50} = 0.06 collisions[/tex]
I then know that

[tex]N_{coll} = \frac{N}{V}V_{cyl} = \frac{N}{V}\sqrt{2} \pi r^2 L[/tex]

However, I don't know how to continue from here to find the pressure, because I know neither the number density [itex]\frac{N}{V}[/itex] or the radius [itex]r[/itex].
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
Physics Monkey
Nov23-05, 09:24 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,333
Clearly you can't treat electrons as point masses in your current model since a point mass corresponds to [tex] r = 0 [/tex] i.e. infinite mean free path. I would suggest trying to examine your assumptions again.

Here is some information about the model you are currently using: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...ic/menfre.html
Gokul43201
Nov23-05, 09:41 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Quote Quote by Physics Monkey
Clearly you can't treat electrons as point masses in your current model since a point mass corresponds to [tex] r = 0 [/tex] i.e. infinite mean free path.
PM, the OP is talking about electron-molecule collisions, not electron-electron collisions. The molecules having a non-zero diameter gives the electron a finite mean-free path.

Gokul43201
Nov23-05, 09:53 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Mean Free Path of an Electron -

Quote Quote by dekoi
An electron can be thought of as a point particle with zero radius.
Find an expression for the mean free path of an electron through a gas.

The mean free path of an electron can be represented by:
[tex]\lambda = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2} \pi \frac{N}{V} r^2}[/tex]

Electrons travel through L = 3 km in the Stanford Linear Accelerator. In order for scattering losses to be negligible, the pressure inside the accerlator tube must be reduced to the point where the mean free path is at least 50 km. What is the maximum possible pressure inside the accelerator tube, assuming T = 293 K?
You can solve this from the equation above for the mean free path.
However, I don't know how to continue from here to find the pressure, because I know neither the number density [itex]\frac{N}{V}[/itex] or the radius [itex]r[/itex].
What relation tells you the number density of an ideal gas from the pressure and temperature ? As for the radius, I think you may assume that the gas in the SLAC is mostly N2 and use the size of an N2 molecule as the diameter.
Physics Monkey
Nov23-05, 10:34 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,333
Right Gokul, thanks. The more I thought about it, something did seem amiss. Heh, I should probably go to sleep.

Register to reply