Potential of a charged ring in terms of Legendre polynomials

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the potential at a point due to a charged ring with radius a. The equations used include an integral and an expansion in terms of Legendre polynomials. There is a discrepancy between the answer obtained and the one given in the textbook, leading to a discussion about the angle between the vectors and the azimuthal dependence of the potential. The conversation also touches upon using a Green's function and the multipole expansion.
patric44
Homework Statement
find the potential of a charged ring in terms of Legendre polynomials
Relevant Equations
dV = kdq/|r-r'|, k is set =1
hi guys
I am trying to calculate the the potential at any point P due to a charged ring with a radius = a, but my answer didn't match the one on the textbook, I tried by using
$$
V = \int\frac{\lambda ad\phi}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|}
$$
by evaluating the integral and expanding denominator in terms of Legendre i got the following answer
$$
V = 2\pi\lambda\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}P_{n}(cos\theta)\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^{n}\qquad,for\;\;a>r
$$
but the book answer was
$$
V = 2\pi\lambda\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}(2n)!}{2^{2n}(n!)^{2}}P_{2n}(cos\theta)\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^{2n}\qquad,for\;\;a>r
$$
what I am doing wrong

Likes Delta2 and PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write out your working? I think you should only get even-numbered polynomials.

ergospherical said:
Can you write out your working? I think you should only get even-numbered polynomials.
I expanded the inverse of $|\vect{r}-\vect{r^'}|$ as follows
$$
\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r^{'}}\right|^{-1}=\left(r^2+a^2-2ra\cos\theta\right)^{\frac{-1}{2}}=\frac{1}{a}\left(1-2\frac{r}{a}\cos\theta+\frac{r^2}{a^2}\right)^{\frac{-1}{2}},
$$
comparing with the generating function of the Legendre polynomials, I got
$$
V=2\pi\lambda\left(1-2\frac{r}{a}\cos\theta+\frac{r^2}{a^2}\right)^{\frac{-1}{2}}=2\pi\lambda\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}P_n\left(\cos\theta\right)\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)^{n}.
$$

You incorrectly assumed the angle between ##\vec r## and ##\vec r'## is ##\theta##.

Likes PhDeezNutz
vela said:
You incorrectly assumed the angle between ##\vec r## and ##\vec r'## is ##\theta##.
Isn't it just ##\theta##!
potential.png

The vectors are not necessarily at the same azimuthal angle ##\phi##.

ergospherical said:
How should I take care of this in the expansion of ##|\vec{r}-\vec{r^{'}}|^{-1}##?

Write ##\mathbf{r}## and ##\mathbf{r}’## as Cartesian vectors and evaluate ##\mathbf{r} \cdot \mathbf{r}’## that way.

Likes graphking
ergospherical said:
I think we should find a way to dispense with the azimuthal angle entirely since this is an axis-symmetric potential.

Likes ergospherical
PhDeezNutz said:
I think we should find a way to dispense with the azimuthal angle entirely since this is an axis-symmetric potential.
If ##\mathbf{r}## is at azimuthal angle ##\phi## and ##\mathbf{r}'## is at azimuthal angle ##\phi'##, then the expansion of ##|\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}'|^{-1}## contains terms in ##\cos^k{(\phi - \phi')}##. This azimuthal dependence vanishes upon integrating over ##\phi'## from ##0## to ##2\pi##.

Likes graphking and PhDeezNutz
OP

The general form of an axis symmetric potential in the near region is

##\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} A_n r^n P_n \left( \cos \theta \right)##

Treating the on-axis potential in the near region ##\theta = 0## makes all of the Legendre Polynomials equal to 1 ; ##P_n \left( \cos 0 \right) = P_n \left( 1 \right) = 1## for all n.

So the on-axis potential is

##\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} A_n r^n##

Once you find the on-axis Taylor Expansion you just slap on the relevant Legendre Polynomials

On axis ##r = z##

## \Phi \left( z \right) = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int \frac{\lambda}{\sqrt{R^2 + z^2}} R \, d \phi' = \frac{\lambda}{2 \epsilon_0} \frac{R}{\sqrt{R^2 + z^2}}##

Invoke the smallness parameter ##r \ll R## and taylor expand

Hint: ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^2}} = 1 - \frac{x^2}{2} + \frac{3x^4}{8} - \frac{5x^6}{16} + \frac{35x^8}{128}##

This hint matches up with the coefficients in your desired answer.

I wouldn't worry about expanding the whole thing, matching the first few terms is enough to draw a conclusion IMO.

Edit: I was more or less copying and pasting one of my posts from another thread. So just chanage ##R## to ##a##

In post #1 you state "I am trying to calculate the the potential at any point P ##\dots##"

Doesn't that include the region ##r>a##?

Likes PhDeezNutz
If memory serves me correctly, there is a trick to finding it easily for all [itex]\vec{r}[/itex]

Likes PhDeezNutz
It's easier to think in terms of the Green's function,
$$V(\vec{x})=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 G(|\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|) \rho(\vec{x}').$$
Of course
$$G(\vec{x}-\vec{x}')=\frac{1}{4 \pi |\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|} \; \Rightarrow \; \Delta_x G(\vec{x}-\vec{x}')=\delta^{(3)}(\vec{x}-\vec{x}').$$
The multipole expansion is then derived from the multipole expansion of the Green's function,
$$G(\vec{x}-\vec{x}') = \sum_{l=0}^{\infty} \sum_{m=-l}^l \frac{4 \pi}{2l+1} \frac{r_{<}^l}{r_{>}^{l+1}} \mathrm{Y}_{lm}^*(\vartheta',\varphi') \mathrm{Y}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi).$$
Here ##r_<=\text{min}(r,r')## and ##r_{>}=\text{max}(r,r')##, and I used the spherical harmonics normalized to 1, i.e.,
$$\int_0^{\pi} \mathrm{d} \vartheta \int_0^{2 \pi} \mathrm{d} \varphi \sin \vartheta \mathrm{Y}_{l'm'}^*(\vartheta,\varphi) \mathrm{Y}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi)=\delta_{ll'} \delta_{mm'}.$$
The relation to the Legendre polynomials for axisymmetric problems (rotational symmetry around the ##z## axis) is
$$\mathrm{Y}_{l0}(\vartheta,\varphi)=\sqrt{\frac{2l+1}{4 \pi}} P_l(\cos \vartheta).$$
Of course all ##\mathrm{Y}_{l0}## do not depend on ##\varphi##, because ##\mathrm{Y}_{lm}(\vartheta,\varphi) \propto \exp(\mathrm{i} m \varphi)##. The orthogonality relation thus is
$$\int_{-1}^1 \mathrm{d} u P_{l'}(u) P_{l}(u)=\frac{2}{2l+1} \delta_{ll'}.$$

Last edited:
Likes Delta2 and ergospherical
How meaningful is this multipole expansion for ##(r_{<},~r_{>})\approx a## when ##\vartheta = \frac{\pi}{2}##?

Likes PhDeezNutz
I'm not sure, whether there's a misunderstanding concerning my convention. In my notation ##\vartheta## is the polar and ##\varphi## the azimuthal angle, i.e., the relation between Cartesian and spherical coordinates of the position vector is
$$\vec{x}=\begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \\ x_3 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} r \cos \varphi \sin \vartheta \\ r \sin \varphi \sin \vartheta \\ r \cos \vartheta \end{pmatrix}, \quad r \in \mathbb{R}_{>0}, \quad \vartheta \in (0,\pi), \varphi \in [0,2 \pi).$$
The spherical coordinates are singular along the ##x_3##-axis, i.e., for ##\vartheta \in \{0,\pi \}##.

So the idea is to just use the expansion of the Green's function in terms of spherical harmonics
$$\frac{1}{4 \pi |\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|} = \sum_{\ell=0}^{\infty} \sum_{m=-\ell}^{\ell} \frac{4 \pi}{2 \ell+1} \frac{r_>^{\ell}}{r^{\ell+1}} \mathrm{Y}_{\ell m}^*(\vartheta',\varphi') \mathrm{Y}_{\ell m}(\vartheta,\varphi).$$
Then the potential is given by (for ##r<a##, i.e., ##r_{>}=a## and ##r_{<}=r##, \quad ##\vartheta'=\pi/2##)
$$\Phi(\vec{x})=4 \pi \int_0^{2 \pi} \mathrm{d} \varphi' \frac{a \lambda}{4 \pi|\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|} = 4 \pi \lambda \int_0^{2 \pi} \mathrm{d} \varphi' \sum_{\ell=0}^{\infty} \sum_{m=-\ell}^{m=\ell} \left (\frac{r}{a} \right)^{\ell} \mathrm{Y}_{\ell m}^*(\pi/2,\varphi') \mathrm{Y}(\vartheta,\varphi).$$
The integral makes all contributions with ##m \neq 0## vanish. Further
$$\text{Y}_{\ell 0}(\vartheta'=\pi/2)=\sqrt{\frac{2 \ell+1}{4 \pi}}
\mathrm{P}_{\ell}(0)=\begin{cases} \sqrt{\frac{2 \ell+1}{4 \pi}}
\frac{(-1)^{\ell/2} \ell!}{4^{\ell/2} (\ell/2)!^2} & \text{for} \quad
\ell \quad \text{even} \\ 0 & \text{for} \quad \ell \quad \text{odd}. \end{cases}$$
Plugging all this into the integral you should get the result of the textbook.

For ##r>a## the only difference is that instead of ##(r/a)^{\ell}## you have the factor ##(a/r)^{\ell+1}## in front.

Likes PhDeezNutz and ergospherical

1. What is the potential of a charged ring in terms of Legendre polynomials?

The potential of a charged ring in terms of Legendre polynomials is the mathematical expression that describes the electric potential at any point in space around a charged ring. It takes into account the distance from the ring, the charge of the ring, and the angle of observation.

2. How is the potential of a charged ring calculated using Legendre polynomials?

The potential of a charged ring is calculated by using a series of Legendre polynomials, which are mathematical functions that describe the electric potential in terms of spherical coordinates. The series is then summed up to find the total potential at a given point.

3. What is the significance of using Legendre polynomials to describe the potential of a charged ring?

Legendre polynomials are used to describe the potential of a charged ring because they provide a more accurate and comprehensive representation of the electric potential at any point. They take into account the spherical symmetry of the ring, making the calculations more precise.

4. How does the potential of a charged ring change with distance from the ring?

The potential of a charged ring follows an inverse relationship with distance, meaning that as the distance from the ring increases, the potential decreases. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance, resulting in a lower potential.

5. Can the potential of a charged ring be negative?

Yes, the potential of a charged ring can be negative. This occurs when the charge of the ring is negative and the distance from the ring is small. In this case, the potential is negative because the electric field is directed towards the ring, resulting in a negative potential.