Fermi temperature of a 1D electron gas

In summary, the problem involves calculating the Fermi temperature for a one-dimensional metal wire with one free electron per atom and an atomic spacing of ##d##. Two different approaches are considered, one at ##T=0## and the other at ##T=T_\mathrm{F}##. The first approach yields a result of ##\frac{\pi^2 \hbar^2}{8 m k_\mathrm{B} d^2}## while the second approach yields a result that is approximately 3.5 times larger. The discrepancy can be explained by the fact that ##\mu## at a given temperature is whatever it has to be in order for ## N = \int_0^\infty \bar{n}_
DrClaude
Mentor

Homework Statement

Consider a one-dimensional metal wire with one free electron per atom and an atomic spacing of ##d##. Calculate the Fermi temperature.

Homework Equations

Energy of a particle in a box of length ##L##: ##E_n = \frac{\pi^2 \hbar^2}{2 m L^2} n^2##

1D density of states: ##g(E) = \frac{L}{\pi \hbar} \sqrt{\frac{2m}{\epsilon}}##

Fermi temperature: ##T_\mathrm{F} = \frac{E_\mathrm{F}}{k_\mathrm{B}}##

Fermi-Dirac occupancy: ##\bar{n}_\mathrm{FD} = \left[ e^{\beta (E - \mu)} + 1 \right]^{-1}##

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is easy to find by considering the system at ##T=0##, where one simply needs to calculate the energy of the highest occupied level. For ##N## electrons, with ##2## electrons per ##n## state, i.e., ##N= 2 n_\mathrm{max}##,
$$
\begin{align*}
E_\mathrm{F} &= \frac{\pi^2 \hbar^2}{2 m L^2} n_\mathrm{max}^2 \\
&= \frac{\pi^2 \hbar^2}{2 m L^2} \left(\frac{N}{2} \right)^2 \\
&= \frac{\pi^2 \hbar^2}{8 m} \left(\frac{N}{L} \right)^2 \\
&= \frac{\pi^2 \hbar^2}{8 m d^2}
\end{align*}
$$
since ##N/L = 1/d##, so ##T_\mathrm{F} = \frac{\pi^2 \hbar^2}{8 m k_\mathrm{B} d^2} \left(\frac{N}{L} \right)^2 = \frac{\pi^2 \hbar^2}{8 m k_\mathrm{B}}##.

My problem comes when trying an alternate approach, by considering the system at ##T = T_\mathrm{F}##. In this case, one can calculate the average number of electrons using
$$
N = \int_0^\infty \bar{n}_\mathrm{FD} g(E) dE
$$
##\mu(T_\mathrm{F}) = 0##, so the equation becomes
$$
\begin{align*}
N &= \frac{L \sqrt{2m}}{\pi \hbar} \int_0^\infty \frac{E^{-1/2}}{e^{E / (k_\mathrm{B} T_\mathrm{F})} + 1} dE \\
&= \frac{L \sqrt{2m}}{\pi \hbar} \left(1 - \sqrt{2} \right) \sqrt{\pi } \zeta \left(1/2\right) \sqrt{k_\mathrm{B} T_\mathrm{F}}
\end{align*}
$$
from which I recover
$$
T_\mathrm{F} = \frac{\left(2 \sqrt{2}+3\right) \pi \hbar ^2}{2 \zeta^2 \left(1/2\right) k_\mathrm{B} m} \left(\frac{N}{L} \right)^2
$$
Comparing with the approach above, this result is ##\approx 3.5## times bigger.

I am confident of the first result above (and it is the same as I found in some on-line and off-line resources) and would appreciate some help in figuring out what is wrong in the second approach.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think ##\mu(T_\mathrm{F}) = 0##.

Likes DrClaude
TSny said:
I don't think ##\mu(T_\mathrm{F}) = 0##.
That was my initial thought when a saw that solution from a student. We were confused by fig. 7.16 in Schroeder's textbook, which shows the chemical potential go to 0 at ##T_\mathrm{F}##. Looking more closely, that figure is related to problem 7.23 for a the case where ##\mu = 0## at ##T = T_\mathrm{F}##. I guess this is just a special case.

Thanks!

It is interesting that for the 3d case, ##\mu \approx 0## at the Fermi temperature. See second page of http://young.physics.ucsc.edu/112/mu_T.pdf . In the graph, you can see that ##\mu= 0## at a temperature slightly less than the Fermi temperature. See also equation (9) on that page.

##\mu## at a given temperature is whatever it has to be in order for ## N = \int_0^\infty \bar{n}_\mathrm{FD} g(E) dE ## to hold. For the 1d case, ##\mu## is apparently not close to zero at the Fermi temperature.

Likes DrClaude
This is indeed interesting. If I calculate
$$
N = \int_0^\infty \bar{n}_\mathrm{FD} g(E) dE
$$
for a 3D Fermi gas with ##\mu=0## and solve for the temperature ##T_0##, I find
$$
\frac{T_0}{T_\mathrm{F}} = 2 \left( \frac{2 \sqrt{2}+3}{\pi }\right)^{1/3} \left(\frac{2}{3 \zeta \left(3/2 \right)}\right)^{2/3} \approx 0.988734
$$
confirming that the temperature for which ##\mu=0## is almost the Fermi temperature.

Yes. Your result agrees with equation (9) of the link. That's nice.

What is the Fermi temperature of a 1D electron gas?

The Fermi temperature of a 1D electron gas is the temperature at which the electrons in the gas have enough energy to overcome the potential barrier created by the surrounding ions and form a degenerate gas.

How is the Fermi temperature related to the Fermi energy of a 1D electron gas?

The Fermi temperature is directly proportional to the Fermi energy of a 1D electron gas. In fact, they are related by the formula Tf = EF/kB, where Tf is the Fermi temperature, EF is the Fermi energy, and kB is the Boltzmann constant.

What is the significance of the Fermi temperature in studying 1D electron gases?

The Fermi temperature plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electrons in a 1D electron gas. It determines the energy distribution of the electrons and their ability to conduct electricity. Additionally, the Fermi temperature can reveal important information about the electronic structure and properties of the material.

How does the Fermi temperature of a 1D electron gas differ from that of a 3D electron gas?

The Fermi temperature of a 1D electron gas is typically much higher than that of a 3D electron gas. This is because in a 1D system, the electrons are confined to a smaller space and have less room to move, resulting in a higher energy and thus a higher Fermi temperature.

Can the Fermi temperature of a 1D electron gas be experimentally measured?

Yes, the Fermi temperature of a 1D electron gas can be measured using various experimental techniques, such as electrical transport measurements, spectroscopy, and thermodynamic measurements. These methods can provide valuable information about the electronic properties and behavior of 1D electron gases.