Magnet valve

by TSN79
Tags: magnet, valve
TSN79
Dec2-05, 12:26 PM
P: 355
I'm doing some drawings on a cooling system, which includes a couple of so called "magnet valves". What excactly is a magnet valve, and does it actually have anything to do with the normal type of magnets?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
brewnog
Dec2-05, 12:40 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,793
I believe it to be as per a normal solenoid valve, but with a permanent magnet so that when power cannot be supplied (in an emergency, for instance) the valve can still actuate to an off position. They're used in gas cookers as safety devices, I believe.
Danger
Dec2-05, 08:03 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,961
So do you physically move the magnet into position, or is the valve held against it by a stronger electromagnet, or what? If the latter, a spring would make more sense. If the former, why not just a lever?

FredGarvin
Dec2-05, 09:11 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095

Magnet valve

I have never personally heard of the term. However, it makes sense that it is simply a solenoid valve since the entire operation is based on moving an iron core in a magnetic field.

Register to reply