Low Viscosity Oil, Tanks, Pressure Relief Valves and Check Valves

Findustry Corp
TL;DR Summary
I have an idea for a system to build into a food business I'm starting, but I'm no physicist. I need advice on flow of a pressurised system.
Hi Whoever,

I have an idea for a system which would work for my food business but it doesn't exist. The system essentially relies on hydraulics, pressure relief valves and check valves for recirculation upon reached pressure.

All tanks/pipes (The entire system) will be prefilled except for 1 (Number 3). All check valves must only let liquid pass through in one direction and withstand 2,250 PSI. All pressure relief valves must release pressure by expelling liquid via a small aperture when 2,250 PSI is reached.

Tank number 1 will be the main storage tank for the system, this is top fed into via Check Valve 1 to stop back flow and then with an exit route at the bottom, this exit feed will lead into Tank Number 2 via Pressure Relief Valve 1 that expels a short burst of liquid when it reaches 2,250 PSI.

This then enters the top of Tank Number 2, which continues to fill up until 2,250 PSI is reached (Will Pressure Relief Valve 1 also stop backflow? Or will I need to integrate a check valve?). Once 2,250 PSI is reached, Pressure Relief Valve 2, at the bottom of Tank Number 2 will release the same burst of liquid as previous into the Tank Number 3.

Tank Number 3 has a base conical which will have an electrically powered by pump at the base to constantly pull through any liquid that gathers. This pump will pump the liquid through Check Valve 2 into Tank Number 4. This tank will have other mechanics for the systems purpose, which I have external instructions for.

As the liquid enters Tank Number 4 the check valve again prevents back flow, once Tank Number 4 reaches 2,250 PSI, Pressure Relief Valve 3 will then release the same burst of liquid into Pre Filled Pipe 1.

Pre Filled Pipe 1 feeds back into Tank Number 1 via Check Valve 1. The idea is that due to laws and rules of a hydraulic system that this will just keep pushing everything through and recirculate the liquid until I'm finished for the day.

What's wrong with my idea? There's gotta be a lot!

I've got brains and I'm not a stupid person, but I am an arts student. My Science education doesn't go past GCSE (Triple A's) but this was a few years ago and Physics always baffled me. If you have any insight I would love to hear it.

Thank you for your time,
Fin

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Can you upload a diagram of your hydraulic system? Use the "Attach files" link below the Edit window to upload a PDF or JPEG version of your system diagram.

Can you say more about what all of these hydraulics are supposed to be doing? I don't see any mention of food so far in your description...

Typical hydraulic system diagram:
1708562038051.jpeg

https://crossmfg.com/resources/technical-and-terminology/basic-hydraulic-theory

What is the volumetric capacity of the tanks?

There are things that will grow in the system. You will need to clean and sterilise the system at the end of each day. A non-return valve is a reservoir for infection. Valves are very difficult to clean. For example, the salmonella that infect peanut crushing machines, then kill people, force product recalls, and the insurance pays-out-big, in class-action compensation. There will need to be rigorous product testing.

How will the contaminated hydraulic food-grade oil be recycled, or disposed of ?
A pinhole leak at 2000 psi will inject oil under the skin of any worker nearby, that poses a risk of traumatic amputation and/or gangrene. You will need solid steel screens for worker protection. A high pressure oil mist is a fire hazard.

Your description 'smells' like it could become a rancid and sticky, oil-seed extraction plant. Try to avoid that.

Constant flow, or constant pressure pumps, may simplify the design.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and Lnewqban