How does the "CLEAN" light on a coffeemaker work?

In summary, the "clean" light on the Cuisinart drip coffee maker comes on when the machine is told to run through a cleaning cycle (50/50 mix water/vinegar, rinse). This is likely due to mineral deposits on the heating element, which can be resolved by running the vinegar mix. The machine takes into account the mineral content of the water and sets two different temperatures (one for "clean me" and one for "I'm done") depending on how much mineralization is present. If the heating element is an immersion type, it would be harder to get to and measure, but it is possible.
NTL2009
My Cuisinart drip coffee maker has a light that comes on, telling you to run it through a cleaning cycle (50/50 mix water/vinegar, rinse). In our previous home, we were on a well of about 750 ppm dissolved solids (including some iron), so I had an RO unit connected after the water softener to remove the salt that displaced the other minerals. We used that RO water for our daily coffee, for years in this maker. I don't think the light ever came on when we used RO.

We moved ~ 6 months ago, and are on Lake Michigan water, which is medium soft (more minerals than the RO, but not "hard" - almost no one uses a water softener for this water). The "clean" light has come on twice now, and running the vinegar mix resolves it.

But how does it "know" that cleaning is needed? I haven't found anything detailed in searches. I was thinking the time to brew would tell it that minerals were built up, reducing the efficiency of the heater, but you can brew different sized batches, so how would it know?

One thought I had - could it be timing the 'pulses', or duty cycle of the heater? It does take a few seconds to heat the water to boiling, which then expands and pumps out, and then sucks in more cool water through the check valve, repeat. So mineral build up would affect that timing and/or duty cycle?

Is that it, or some other mechanism/sensor? Any ideas? TIA

Engineering news on Phys.org
My first thought was, there is a clean light? We just get disappointed when our's trips off halfway through the cycle. I would guess the complete switch is tripping of a thermal sensor. Boiling water limits the heating element's temperature. Once the water is no more, the temperature of the heating element rises above a preset threshold.

Now, mineral deposits will coat the heating element if operated with hard water. This adds an insulating layer that will conduct less heat causing the heating element's temperature to rise. My guess is your coffee maker has two preset temperatures, one for the "clean me" light and another for "I'm done".

Likes NTL2009
Perhaps. With an insulating layer of minerals, the heating element would get hotter, and maybe that could be detected. Offhand, that seems like a relatively small increase that might be hard to detect reliably with cheap parts?

I have not had it apart yet (since it still works!), but if/when I do, I'll look for clues. The heater is likely similar to the one pictured here, the tube for the water to pass through is bonded to the heating element, so it is possible. If the heating element had been an immersion type, it would be harder to get in and measure it.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Cuisinart+DCC-1200++Heating+Element+Replacement/105224

WScloJBDTlnNMxUH.jpg

I also assumed immersing the heater would be the worst possible design choice. Your image confirms what I had imagined it would look like. Knowing the mineral content of the water you could estimate the rate of scale accumulation. A Finite Element thermal analysis should fill in the rest. Oh, and never cut the red wire.

1. What does the "CLEAN" light on a coffeemaker indicate?

The "CLEAN" light on a coffeemaker indicates that it is time to clean the machine. This light typically turns on after a certain number of brewing cycles, or when the machine detects a buildup of mineral deposits or oils from coffee beans.

2. How does the "CLEAN" light on a coffeemaker work?

The "CLEAN" light is usually triggered by a timer or sensor within the coffeemaker. Once the designated number of brewing cycles has been reached or the machine detects a buildup, the light will turn on to prompt the user to clean the machine.

3. How do I clean my coffeemaker when the "CLEAN" light is on?

The specific cleaning instructions may vary depending on the model of your coffeemaker. However, in general, you can run a cleaning cycle by filling the water reservoir with a mixture of equal parts water and white vinegar, and then running a brew cycle. Afterward, run a few cycles with just water to rinse out any remaining vinegar. Be sure to refer to your coffeemaker's manual for specific instructions.

4. What happens if I ignore the "CLEAN" light on my coffeemaker?

If the "CLEAN" light is ignored and the machine is not cleaned regularly, it can lead to a buildup of mineral deposits or oils, which can affect the taste and quality of your coffee. It can also potentially damage the machine and shorten its lifespan.

5. Can I manually turn off the "CLEAN" light on my coffeemaker?

No, the "CLEAN" light is typically controlled by a timer or sensor and cannot be manually turned off. It is important to follow the cleaning instructions and address the "CLEAN" light when it turns on to maintain the quality and longevity of your coffeemaker.