Real & Complex Analysis: Chapter 3 Exercises Requested

• Thread starter benorin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Request
In summary, the person requested for exercises for Chapter 3 of the book Real and Complex Analysis by W. Rudin, 3rd edition. They mentioned that they have the 2nd edition from the library, but their class uses the 3rd edition and the exercise numbers do not match. They asked for help in finding the corresponding numbers and also mentioned that they have a final exam coming up. The exercises listed for Chapter 3 are 3.1 and 3.2, which involve proving properties of continuous and differentiable functions on intervals.
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
EDIT:request filled

EDIT:got it.

Can someone please post the exercises for Chapter 3 of Real and Complex Analysis by W. Rudin, 3rd edition. I have checked-out the 2 edition from the library, but our class uses the 3rd ed. and, the exercise #'s don't match between the two editions (and hence posting even a correspondence of their numberings would suffice).
I have a final on tue, Dec. 6 and I still need to complete HW for that chapter.
Thanks in advance,
-Ben

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Exercises 3.1:1. Prove that if f is a continuous real-valued function defined on an interval I, and if ε > 0, then there exists a δ > 0 such that |f(x) − f(y)| < ε for all x, y ∈ I with |x − y| < δ.2. Let f be a real-valued function defined on an interval I. Prove that if f is continuous at every point of I, then f is uniformly continuous on I.3. Let f be a real-valued function defined on an interval I. Prove that if f is continuous on I, and if the set of discontinuities of f is finite, then f is uniformly continuous on I.4. Prove that a continuous real-valued function defined on a compact interval is bounded and attains its bounds.Exercises 3.2:1. Prove that if f is a real-valued function defined on an interval I, and if f is differentiable at a point c ∈ I, then f is continuous at c.2. Let f be a real-valued function defined on an interval I, and let c ∈ I. Prove that if f is continuous at c and differentiable at every point of I \ {c}, then f is differentiable at c.3. Let f be a real-valued function defined on an interval I, and let c ∈ I. Prove that if f is continuous at c and has a finite right derivative at c, then f is differentiable at c.4. Let f be a real-valued function defined on an interval I. Prove that if f is differentiable at every point of I, then f is continuous at every point of I.

1. What is the purpose of Chapter 3 in Real & Complex Analysis?

Chapter 3 in Real & Complex Analysis focuses on exercises that help students strengthen their understanding of the concepts and techniques learned in the previous chapters. These exercises provide a way for students to practice and apply their knowledge in solving problems related to real and complex analysis.

2. What topics are covered in Chapter 3 of Real & Complex Analysis?

Chapter 3 covers topics such as continuity, differentiability, and integrability of real and complex functions. It also includes exercises on Taylor series, power series, and sequences and series of functions. These topics are essential in understanding the fundamentals of real and complex analysis.

3. Are there any prerequisites for Chapter 3 in Real & Complex Analysis?

Yes, it is recommended for students to have a strong foundation in mathematical analysis, including topics such as limits, continuity, and differentiation before attempting Chapter 3 exercises in Real & Complex Analysis. A good understanding of complex numbers and functions is also essential.

4. How can practicing exercises in Chapter 3 benefit students?

Practicing exercises in Chapter 3 can help students develop problem-solving skills and gain a deeper understanding of real and complex analysis concepts. It also allows students to identify areas where they may need more practice and help them prepare for exams.

5. Are there any additional resources available for Chapter 3 exercises in Real & Complex Analysis?

Yes, there are many online resources available, including solution manuals and video tutorials, that can provide additional help and guidance for students tackling Chapter 3 exercises in Real & Complex Analysis. It is also recommended for students to consult with their professors or teaching assistants for any questions or difficulties they may encounter.