Readability of Rudin's Real and Complex Analysis

In summary: I agree with your assessment that Rudin-RCA is great for motivation, but I think Simon offers more insights and applications in his books.Could you mention specific sections that I can feel the superiority of Simon? I would like to read them and compare them with Rudin.
bacte2013
So I decide to self-study the real analysis (measure theory, Banach space, etc.). Surprisingly, I found that Rudin-RCA is quite readable; it is less terse than his PMA. Although the required text for my introductory analysis course was PMA, I mostly studied from Hairer/Wanner's Analysis by Its History (I did not like PMA that much). Although I said readable, I do not know if I actually understand whole materials as I am middle of first chapter, and I already have topology background from Singer/Thorpe and Engelking (currently reading). I actually like Rudin-RCA, but I am not sure if I am taking great risk as many experience people seem to not liking Rudin for learning...

Is Rudin-RCA suitable for a first introduction to the real analysis? Is it outdated? What should I know if I decide to study Rudin-RCA?

I am not planning to read the chapters in complex analysis as I am reading Barry Simon's excellent books in the complex analysis.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know Barry Simon has other volumes on analysis too right, covering real and harmonic analysis.

But anyway, if you like Rudin, then read Rudin. But in my opinion, he's raping analysis.

micromass said:
You know Barry Simon has other volumes on analysis too right, covering real and harmonic analysis.

But anyway, if you like Rudin, then read Rudin. But in my opinion, he's raping analysis.

Yes, I actually read some pages of Simon's Part 1. However, I am worried that he starts with discussions on the Hilbert space and Fourier series first, followed by the measure theory. I thought that measure theory is used to explain them. Also, his discussions on the Borel measure and measurable functions are very different from Rudin.

By the way, why do you think Rudin-RCA is horrible for real analysis? I agree with his PMA book, but his RCA is motivating and thorough (at least from his Chapter 1).

bacte2013 said:
Yes, I actually read some pages of Simon's Part 1. However, I am worried that he starts with discussions on the Hilbert space and Fourier series first, followed by the measure theory. I thought that measure theory is used to explain them. Also, his discussions on the Borel measure and measurable functions are very different from Rudin.

You can perfectly do Hilbert spaces and Fourier theory before measure theory. This is what happened historically. It forms a good motivation for measure theory. I think Simon's treatment of measure theory is superior to Rudin, but that's up to you.

micromass said:
You can perfectly do Hilbert spaces and Fourier theory before measure theory. This is what happened historically. It forms a good motivation for measure theory. I think Simon's treatment of measure theory is superior to Rudin, but that's up to you.

Could you mention specific sections that I can feel the superiority of Simon? I would like to read them and compare them with Rudin. The book by Simon is all over...

I actually found Barry Simon's Part-1 to be better than Rudin-RCA. He offers many integrating approaches and insights to the real analysis, just like Part-2.
I also got Kolmogorov/Fomin to supplement the Banach/Hilbert spaces, and Halmos' Measure Theory for supplement as well.

1. What is Rudin's Real and Complex Analysis?

Rudin's Real and Complex Analysis is a textbook that covers the fundamentals of real and complex analysis, including topics such as measure theory, integration, and the theory of analytic functions. It is often used as a standard text in upper-level undergraduate or graduate courses in mathematics.

2. Is Rudin's Real and Complex Analysis difficult to read?

This is a subjective question and may depend on the individual's background and familiarity with the subject matter. However, many students and mathematicians find Rudin's writing style to be concise and rigorous, which can make it challenging for some readers.

3. What makes Rudin's Real and Complex Analysis a good textbook?

Rudin's Real and Complex Analysis is highly regarded for its clear and elegant presentation of the fundamental concepts in real and complex analysis. It covers a wide range of topics and provides rigorous proofs and examples to aid in understanding. Additionally, the exercises at the end of each chapter are thoughtfully chosen and help solidify the material.

4. Do I need a strong background in mathematics to read Rudin's Real and Complex Analysis?

Yes, Rudin's Real and Complex Analysis is intended for students who have a solid foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus and basic analysis. It is not recommended for those without a strong background in mathematics, as it may be difficult to follow without prior knowledge of the subject.

5. Is Rudin's Real and Complex Analysis suitable for self-study?

While it is possible to use Rudin's Real and Complex Analysis for self-study, it is generally recommended to have a knowledgeable instructor or tutor to guide you through the material. This is because the book can be challenging for some readers and having someone to explain and clarify concepts can be beneficial.