How can I determine if a change of variables using the Jacobian is one to one?

In summary: If the transformation is not one to one, then you can't use the Jacobian relation. Yes, you would need to take a matrix and use its kernel to determine whether the transformation is one to one.
Benny
Hi, I have the following integral.

[tex]
\int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_R^{} {\left( {\sinh ^2 x + \cos ^2 y} \right)} \sinh 2x\sin 2ydxdy}
[/tex]

Where R is the part of the region 0 <= x, 0 <= y <= pi/2 bounded by the curves x = 0, y = 0, sinhxcosy = 1 and coshxsiny = 1.

In the hints section, there is a part which says [tex]J_{xy,uv} = \left( {\sinh ^2 x + \cos ^2 y} \right)^{ - 1} [/tex].

Firstly, to evaluate this integral I need to make a change of variables. The obvious ones are u = sinhxcosy and v = coshxsiny. Usually, to compute the Jacobian I would find expressions for x and y in terms of u and v. In this case this doesn't look possible.

The hint seems to have used [tex]\frac{{\partial \left( {x,y} \right)}}{{\partial \left( {u,v} \right)}} = \left[ {\frac{{\partial \left( {u,v} \right)}}{{\partial \left( {x,y} \right)}}} \right]^{ - 1} [/tex]. I know this is valid for some cases but I'm not sure which ones. Can someone explain to me when I can use the Jacobian relation given above?

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as it isn't 0! The Jacobian is the determinant of the transformation matrix. The determinant of A-1 is one over the determinant of A. The only problem you might have is that you will want the integral written in terms of the new variable u and v.

I don't really understand their notation with the Js but from my working, if u = sinhxcosy and v = coshxsiny then:

[tex]
\frac{{\partial \left( {u,v} \right)}}{{\partial \left( {x,y} \right)}} = \sinh ^2 x + \cos ^2 y
[/tex]

If I take [tex]\frac{{\partial \left( {x,y} \right)}}{{\partial \left( {u,v} \right)}}[/tex] to be the reciprocal of the above then the integral is easy to evaluate.

I just had my doubts because in most of the solutions I've seen, the author has avoided using the above. Rather, an effort is always made to solve equations to get the new variables in terms of the original variables so that the Jacobian is calculated directly. Anyway thanks for the help.

In essence all you have to do is ensure that your Jacobian is injective (ie: one-to-one) and that its determinant is non-zero.

Ok, but sometimes it doesn't seem so easy to decide whether or not the transformation is one to one. For example in this question I used the substitution u = sinhxcosy.

To decide whether the transformation is one to one, is it like the on variable integral where you have something like u = x + 1, 0<=x<=2 and you determine whether that substitution (transformation) is one to one in terms of a graph. Or, do you need to take a matrix and use it's Kernel or something like that to determine whether the transformation is one to one?

1. What is the Change of Variables Jacobian?

The Change of Variables Jacobian is a mathematical concept used in calculus to determine the relationship between two sets of variables. It is represented by the determinant of a matrix and is used to transform integrals from one coordinate system to another.

2. Why is the Change of Variables Jacobian important?

The Change of Variables Jacobian is important because it allows us to solve integrals in different coordinate systems, making calculations easier and more efficient. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

3. How is the Change of Variables Jacobian calculated?

The Change of Variables Jacobian is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the new variables with respect to the old variables and arranging them in a matrix. The determinant of this matrix is then taken to obtain the Jacobian.

4. Can the Change of Variables Jacobian be negative?

Yes, the Change of Variables Jacobian can be negative. This indicates that the transformation from one coordinate system to another involves a change in direction or orientation. In such cases, the absolute value of the Jacobian is used in calculations.

5. What are some applications of the Change of Variables Jacobian?

The Change of Variables Jacobian has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in solving integrals in different coordinate systems, calculating volumes and areas, and in transformations involving changes in direction or orientation. It also has applications in probability and statistics, such as in the change of variables method for solving multivariate probability distributions.