How should I show that ## B ## is given by the solution of this?

• Thread starter Math100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
Math100
Homework Statement
a) Show that the stationary path of the functional ## S[y]=\int_{0}^{v}(y'^2+y^2)dx, y(0)=1, y(v)=v, v>0 ##, is given by ## y=\cosh(x)+B\sinh(x), 0\leq x\leq v ##, where ## B ## and ## v ## are given by the solutions of the equations ## v=\cosh(v)+B\sinh(v) ## and ## B^2-1=2\sinh(v)+2B\cosh(v) ##.

b) Use these equations to show that ## v ## is given by the real solution(s) of ## f(v)=0 ##, where ## f(v)=v^2-2v(1+\sinh(v))\cosh(v)+1+2\sinh(v) ##.
Relevant Equations
Euler-Lagrange equation: ## \frac{d}{dx}(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y'})-\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}=0, y(a)=A, y(b)=B ## for the functional ## S[y]=\int_{a}^{b}F(x, y, y')dx, y(a)=A, y(b)=B ##.
a)
Consider the functional ## S[y]=\int_{0}^{v}(y'^2+y^2)dx, y(0)=1, y(v)=v, v>0 ##.
By definition, the Euler-Lagrange equation is ## \frac{d}{dx}(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y'})-\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}=0, y(a)=A, y(b)=B ## for the functional ## S[y]=\int_{a}^{b}F(x, y, y')dx, y(a)=A, y(b)=B ##.
Let ## F(x, y, y')=y'^2+y^2 ##.
Then ## \frac{\partial F}{\partial y'}=2y' ## and ## \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}=2y ##.
This gives ## \frac{d}{dx}(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y'})=2y'' ##.
Thus, the Euler-Lagrange equation is ## 2y''-2y=0\implies y''-y=0 ##.
Note that the general solution is ## y(x)=A\cosh(x)+B\sinh(x) ##, where ## A ## and ## B ## are constants.
Applying the boundary-value conditions ## y(0)=1 ## and ## y(v)=v, v>0 ## produce:
## y(0)=1\implies 1=A\cosh(0)+B\sinh(0)\implies 1=A+0\implies A=1 ## and
## y(v)=v\implies v=A\cosh(v)+B\sinh(v)\implies v=\cosh(v)+B\sinh(v) ##.

Based on my work above, how can I show that ## B ## is given by the solution of the equation ## B^2-1=2\sinh(v)+2B\cosh(v) ##? I've tried to solve for ## B ## first by getting ## B=\frac{v-\cosh(v)}{\sinh(v)} ##, but this expression didn't help me at all in showing this. Also, for part b) of this problem, I've got ## f(\cosh(v)+B\sinh(v))=(\cosh(v)+B\sinh(v))^2-2(\cosh(v)+B\sinh(v))(1+\sinh(v))\cosh(v)+1+2\sinh(v)=\cosh^2(v)+2\cosh(v)\cdot B\sinh(v)+B^2\sinh^2(v)-2\cosh^2(v)-2B\sinh(v)\cdot \cosh(v)-2\sinh(v)\cdot \cosh^2(v)-2B\sinh^2(v)\cdot \cosh(v)+1+2\sinh(v)=0 ## after I substituted the equation of ## v=\cosh(v)+B\sinh(v) ## but how should I solve for ## v ## in here by solving the equation ## f(v)=0 ##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Math100 said:
Homework Statement: a) Show that the stationary path of the functional ## S[y]=\int_{0}^{v}(y'^2+y^2)dx, y(0)=1, y(v)=v, v>0 ##, is given by ## y=\cosh(x)+B\sinh(x), 0\leq x\leq v ##, where ## B ## and ## v ## are given by the solutions of the equations ## v=\cosh(v)+B\sinh(v) ## and ## B^2-1=2\sinh(v)+2B\cosh(v) ##.

This seems incomplete. If [itex]v[/itex] is an arbitrary constant, then the only unknown is [itex]B[/itex], and we can find it from the first equation. There must be something else, some other condition on [itex]y[/itex], which elevates [itex]v[/itex] into an unknown; that condition would then give us the second equation linking [itex]v[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex].

b) Use these equations to show that ## v ## is given by the real solution(s) of ## f(v)=0 ##, where ## f(v)=v^2-2v(1+\sinh(v))\cosh(v)+1+2\sinh(v) ##.

I imagine that eliminating [itex]B[/itex] from the above two equations will yield this.

Likes Math100
pasmith said:
This seems incomplete. If [itex]v[/itex] is an arbitrary constant, then the only unknown is [itex]B[/itex], and we can find it from the first equation. There must be something else, some other condition on [itex]y[/itex], which elevates [itex]v[/itex] into an unknown; that condition would then give us the second equation linking [itex]v[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex].
I imagine that eliminating [itex]B[/itex] from the above two equations will yield this.
Okay, so for part b) of this problem, I've got that ## v=\cosh(v)+B\sinh(v)\implies B\sinh(v)=v-\cosh(v)\implies B=\frac{v-\cosh(v)}{\sinh(v)} ##. After I substitute ## B=\frac{v-\cosh(v)}{\sinh(v)} ## into ## B^2-1=2\sinh(v)+2B\cosh(v) ##, I have ## (\frac{v-\cosh(v)}{\sinh(v)})^2-1=2\sinh(v)+2(\frac{v-\cosh(v)}{\sinh(v)})\cdot \cosh(v)\implies \frac{(v-\cosh(v))^2-\sinh^2(v)}{\sinh^2(v)}=2\sinh(v)+\frac{2(v-\cosh(v))\cdot \cosh(v)}{\sinh(v)}\implies (v-\cosh(v))^2-\sinh^2(v)=2\sinh^3(v)+2v\sinh(v)\cosh(v)-2\sinh(v)\cosh^2(v)\implies v^2-2v\cosh(v)+\cosh^2(v)=2\sinh^3(v)+2v\sinh(v)\cosh(v)-2\sinh(v)\cosh^2(v)+\sinh^2(v) ##. And after simplifying this, I got ## v^2-2v(1+\sinh(v))\cosh(v)+1+2\sinh(v)=0 ##. Does this mean that ## v ## is given by the real solution(s) of ## f(v)=0 ##? Also, for part a) of the problem, you mentioned that there must be something else, some other condition on ## y ##, but after I took another closer look at this problem again, I've noticed that there's no more additional condition on ## y ##. That was the whole problem statement, so what should we do in here, in order to show that ## B^2-1=2\sinh(v)+2B\cosh(v) ##?

1. How should I show that ## B ## is given by the solution of this?

To show that ## B ## is given by the solution of a particular equation or system of equations, you can start by substituting ## B ## into the equation(s) and simplifying. Check if the resulting expression satisfies the original equation(s) and if it does, then ## B ## is indeed the solution.

2. What steps should I follow to prove that ## B ## is the solution?

First, clearly state the equation(s) that ## B ## is supposed to satisfy. Then, substitute ## B ## into the equation(s) and simplify the expression. Next, check if the resulting expression is equal to the original equation(s). If it is, then ## B ## is the solution.

3. Can I use a different method to show that ## B ## is the solution?

Yes, there are different methods you can use to show that ## B ## is the solution. Some common methods include using substitution, proof by contradiction, or mathematical induction. Choose the method that best suits the equation(s) and your understanding of the problem.

4. How do I know if I have shown that ## B ## is the solution correctly?

To ensure that you have shown that ## B ## is the solution correctly, double-check your calculations and make sure that your steps are logical and clear. Verify that the final expression obtained after substituting ## B ## satisfies the original equation(s) without any errors.

5. Are there any tips for effectively proving that ## B ## is the solution?

One tip for effectively proving that ## B ## is the solution is to break down the problem into smaller, manageable steps. Clearly define your approach and reasoning throughout the proof. Additionally, seek feedback from peers or mentors to validate your proof and gain insights for improvement.