How to know which variable comes first in the Jacobian?

In summary, the Jacobian is a mathematical concept used to calculate the rate of change of a multivariate function in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. The order of variables in the Jacobian is determined by the order in which they are listed in the function and can greatly affect the results. It is not always a square matrix and can be used to solve a system of equations by finding its determinant.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

Find the Jacobian of the transformation:

[itex] x = e^{-r}sinθ , y = e^rcosθ [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

formula for Jacobian is absolute value of the determinant

[itex]

\begin{vmatrix}
\frac {∂x}{∂u} & \frac {∂x}{∂v}\\
\frac {∂y}{∂u} & \frac {∂y}{∂v}\\
\end{vmatrix} [/itex]

But how am I suppose to know which one set u and v = to?

For example, if u = r and v = θ, my answer is (sinθ)^2 - (cosθ)^2 which is my books answer, which is different then when u = θ and v = r, where the answer is (cosθ)^2 - (sinθ)^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Rijad Hadzic said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[itex]

\begin{vmatrix}
\end{vmatrix} [/itex]

For example, if u = r and v = θ, my answer is (sinθ)^2 - (cosθ)^2 which is my books answer, which is different then when u = θ and v = r, where the answer is (cosθ)^2 - (sinθ)^2

Since you've defined the Jacobian as the absolute value of the determinant, it doesn't matter. Those answers have the same absolute value. Changing sign is what happens in general when you interchange rows or columns of a matrix.

Last edited:
Rijad Hadzic said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[itex]

\begin{vmatrix}
\end{vmatrix} [/itex]

You and the book are both mistaken. The absolute value of the Jacobian determinant is ##|\sin^2 \theta - \cos^2 \theta|##, so the order does not matter.

1. What is the Jacobian and why is it important in scientific research?

The Jacobian is a mathematical concept used to calculate the rate of change of a multivariate function. It is used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and economics, to analyze how different variables affect each other. Understanding the Jacobian is crucial for accurately interpreting and predicting complex systems.

2. How do I determine the order of variables in the Jacobian?

The order of variables in the Jacobian is determined by the order in which they are listed in the function. The first variable listed will be the first variable in the Jacobian, followed by the second variable, and so on.

3. Can the order of variables in the Jacobian affect my results?

Yes, the order of variables in the Jacobian can greatly impact your results. Changing the order of variables can result in different values for the Jacobian and can alter the overall interpretation of your data. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the order of variables when calculating the Jacobian.

4. Is the Jacobian always a square matrix?

No, the Jacobian does not have to be a square matrix. It is only a square matrix when the number of variables is equal to the number of equations in the system. In other cases, the Jacobian will be rectangular.

5. How can I use the Jacobian to solve a system of equations?

The Jacobian can be used to solve a system of equations by finding its determinant. If the determinant is non-zero, the system of equations has a unique solution. If the determinant is zero, there are either no solutions or infinitely many solutions. In this case, the Jacobian can still provide useful information about the system and its behavior.