Register to reply

Deriving the rate laws for first and second order reactions

by erik-the-red
Tags: deriving, laws, order, rate, reactions
Share this thread:
erik-the-red
Dec12-05, 03:14 PM
P: 89
So, the average rate for a reaction of type A --> product is given by [tex]\text{rate} = -\frac{\Delta A}{\Delta t}[/tex]. Also, [tex]\text{rate} = k \cdot \text{A}[/tex].

The instantaneous rate for a reaction of that type is [tex]\lim_{\Delta t\rightarrow\0} -\frac{\Delta A}{\Delta t} = -\frac{dA}{dt}[/tex].

Setting the instantaneous rate for a reaction equal to the second equation, there is [tex]-\frac{dA}{dt} = k \cdot \text{A}[/tex].

Well, this is a very friendly separable differential equation. I get [tex]\ln A = -kt + C[/tex].

How do I get [tex]\ln{\frac{A}{A_o}} = -kt[/tex] from my derivation? Definite integration?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Building the ideal rest stop for protons
Direct reaction heavy atoms to catalyst surface demonstrated
Cagey material acts as alcohol factory
gravenewworld
Dec12-05, 03:53 PM
P: 1,405
Quote Quote by erik-the-red
So, the average rate for a reaction of type A --> product is given by [tex]\text{rate} = -\frac{\Delta A}{\Delta t}[/tex]. Also, [tex]\text{rate} = k \cdot \text{A}[/tex].
The instantaneous rate for a reaction of that type is [tex]\lim_{\Delta t\rightarrow\0} -\frac{\Delta A}{\Delta t} = -\frac{dA}{dt}[/tex].
Setting the instantaneous rate for a reaction equal to the second equation, there is [tex]-\frac{dA}{dt} = k \cdot \text{A}[/tex].
Well, this is a very friendly separable differential equation. I get [tex]\ln A = -kt + C[/tex].
How do I get [tex]\ln{\frac{A}{A_o}} = -kt[/tex] from my derivation? Definite integration?

At time =0 C=Ao
GCT
Dec12-05, 04:05 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,769
yes, definite integration, you'll merely have one term on the right since initial time is considered zero. Also remember to always derive the equation for a particular reaction....if you're gonna write the rate equation in terms of a reactant/product with a unique coefficient, they'll be multiples to account for.

erik-the-red
Dec12-05, 07:29 PM
P: 89
Deriving the rate laws for first and second order reactions

Thanks! It's like every intro chem book always uses the exact phrase, "Using calculus, we can derive..."

I mean at the intro chem level most students haven't taken calculus, so to show the derivation is unnecessary. I was just curious :)

Register to reply