Energy Transfer and rate equation

In summary, the unit for energy transfer rate constant can vary depending on the exact mechanism of energy transfer. Some papers treat energy transfer as a first-order reaction while others treat it as a second-order reaction. The equation for Förster resonance energy transfer assumes intramolecular transfer, which may explain the difference in opinions between the two papers. However, both papers consider intramolecular RET, which adds to the confusion.
HAYAO
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What is the unit for energy transfer rate constant?

I am confused because of the order of reaction of energy transfer. Consider the case for following energy transfer A* + C → A + C*. The star represent excited state. Then the rate equation for A* would be as follows:
[itex]\frac{d[A^{*}]}{dt} = \frac{d[C]}{dt} = k_{C^{*}\rightarrow A}[A][C^{*}] -k_{A^{*}\rightarrow C}[A^{*}][C][/itex]
and you can see that energy transfer in this case is a second-order reaction.

If [itex][A^{*}][/itex] is in unit of concentration M (mol l-1), obviously the unit for [itex]k_{A^{*}\rightarrow C}[/itex] would be M-1 s-1. As so, units are different from typical photophysical process like fluorescence which is usually first order reaction. However, I have seen papers that treats energy transfer as first-order reaction (like this one), while I've seen ones that treats it as second-order reaction (like this one). Which one is right? I think that the latter is right, but then if you think about for example Forster transfer equation:
[itex]k_{A^{*}\rightarrow C} = \frac{9000c^{4}ln10}{128\pi ^{5}n^{4}N_{A}\tau _{0}^{a}}\cdot \frac{\kappa ^{2}}{R^{6}}\int f_{a}(\upsilon )\varepsilon _{b}(\upsilon )\frac{d\upsilon }{\upsilon ^{4}}[/itex]
it is obvious that the unit is given as first-order reaction. Do you have to change the units into second-order reaction? If so, then how do you do that?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Like the rate constants for chemical reactions, the units for the rate constant depends on the exact mechanism of energy transfer. Collisional energy transfer is a different process than resonance energy transfer, so why would you necessarily expect the rate constants to be comparable?

Ygggdrasil said:
Like the rate constants for chemical reactions, the units for the rate constant depends on the exact mechanism of energy transfer. Collisional energy transfer is a different process than resonance energy transfer, so why would you necessarily expect the rate constants to be comparable?
Because in the above two papers I have given as an example both considers the energy transfer to be in resonance mechanism. Despite so, both paper have different take on whether the transfer is first-order or second-order.

I think the equation for Förster resonance energy transfer assumes that the transfer occurs intramolecularly, especially because the equation requires defining the distance (R) between the transition dipoles as well as their relative orientation (κ2). Perhaps the difference between the two papers is whether they're considering intermolecular RET or intramolecular RET (again, the details of the exact mechanism are important).

Yes, that is what I thought. But both papers consider intramolecular RET, hence the reason I am confused.

1. What is energy transfer?

Energy transfer is the process by which energy is passed from one object or system to another. It can occur through various mechanisms such as heat, work, or electromagnetic radiation.

2. How is the rate of energy transfer calculated?

The rate of energy transfer can be calculated using the rate equation, which is a mathematical expression that relates the rate of energy transfer to the relevant variables such as temperature, distance, and time. It is typically represented by the symbol "k" and is specific to the type of energy transfer being studied.

3. What factors affect the rate of energy transfer?

The rate of energy transfer can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the temperature difference between the two objects, the distance between them, the surface area of contact, and the properties of the materials involved. Other factors may also play a role depending on the specific type of energy transfer.

4. What is the relationship between energy transfer and the rate equation?

The rate equation provides a quantitative representation of the rate of energy transfer, allowing scientists to predict and analyze the behavior of energy transfer in different systems. It is a fundamental tool in understanding and studying energy transfer processes.

5. How is energy transfer relevant to daily life?

Energy transfer is a fundamental concept that is relevant to many aspects of daily life. It is involved in processes such as cooking, transportation, and electricity production. Understanding energy transfer can also help individuals make informed decisions about energy usage and conservation.