Solve Disc/Shell Problem: Find Volume of Solid Revolved Around x=6

• Thread starter xyzyx
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the volume of a solid by revolving a region bounded by two equations around a specific axis. The problem was solved using the disk method, and the only mistake made was forgetting to subtract the area of the hole. The correct integrand is \pi \,\left( 24 - 10\,y^2 + y^4 \right). The conversation also clarifies the difference between using the disk method for finding volume and the shell method for finding surface area.
xyzyx
I'm pretty new to discs/shells and I'm having a hard time with it. Here's a problem I've been stuck on for a few days now:

I need to find the volume of a solid by revolving the region bounded on the left by x = y^2 +1 and by x = 5 on the right side. It is revolved around x = 6.

My work (I can't figure out how to make it appear as it would in the book, so I apologize if this becomes confusing):

I took the integral from -2 to 2 of (pi) times (6 - (y^2 +1))^2.

int from -2 to 2 ((pi) (5-y^2)^2) dy

(pi) int from -2 to 2(25 - 10 y^2 + y^4) dy

(pi) ((25y - (10y^3/3) + (y^5/5) from -2 to 2)

(pi) ((50 - (80/3) + (32/5)) - (-50 + (80/3) - 32/5))

(pi) (100 - (160/3) + (64/5))

(pi) ((1500/15) - (800/15) + (192/15))

= 892(pi)/15

I tried using the shell method but that turned out even worse, so I figure I'm supposed to use the disc method.

Any help or tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
First write the area of the anular region from the disk with radius 1 centered in [itex]x=6[/itex] to [itex]x=y^2+1[/itex], then integrate over the whole height of the figure (a drawing will make it clearer).

EDIT:

Hah, that's exactly what you did... assuming your calculation is good, then ur all set!

Last edited:
Well, I'm pretty sure I did all the calculations correct; it was just a matter of setting up the problem correctly (I always have a hard time with that part lol).

Thanks for confirming my work!

Your limits of integration are correct, since +/-2 is where the line intersects the parabola. So, basically you are trying to find the volume of something that looks kind of like a donut, but with a sharp edge around the "hole". The way to find the volume is to imagine you are slicing it into thin disks, you find the area of each disk and integrate it over your +/-2 range. The area of each disk is the area of a circle with radius given by the parabola ([tex]\pi \,{\left( 6 - (y^2 + 1) \right) }^2[/tex]) minus the area of a circle with radius given by the line ([tex]\pi \,{\left( 6 - 5 \right) }^2[/tex]).

You will use the disc method to calculate volumes and the shell method to calculate surface areas. With the disk method you integrate areas to get volumes and with the shell method you integrate lengths to get areas.

By the way, I think the only mistake that you made is that your integrand should be [tex]\pi \,\left( 24 - 10\,y^2 + y^4 \right)[/tex] instead of [tex]\pi \,\left( 25 - 10\,y^2 + y^4 \right)[/tex]. I think that mistake came from forgetting to subtract out the area of the hole.

-Hope that helps
Dale

Heh, I guess I spoke too soon.

I'm still a little fuzzy on why it's 24 and not 25. First, I foiled (5 - y^2)^2 to get 25 - 10y^2 + y^4. Do I subtract 1 from the 25 because it's bounded by x = 5 and is revolved around x = 6, therefore giving it a difference of 1?

If that's how it goes then I completely understand it now.

xyzyx said:
Heh, I guess I spoke too soon.
I'm still a little fuzzy on why it's 24 and not 25. First, I foiled (5 - y^2)^2 to get 25 - 10y^2 + y^4. Do I subtract 1 from the 25 because it's bounded by x = 5 and is revolved around x = 6, therefore giving it a difference of 1?
If that's how it goes then I completely understand it now.
Yes, that is correct. There is a hole of radius 1 in your object since it is bounded by x=5 and revolved around x=6. That is why I think it is useful to try and picture in your mind what the object looks like, in this case kind of like a donut with a sharp edge around the hole. So the math to get the area of the disk for the integrand goes something like this:
[tex]\pi \,{r_{out}}^2 - \pi \,{r_{in}}^2[/tex]
[tex]\pi \,{\left( 6 - (y^2 + 1) \right) }^2) - \pi \,{\left( 6 - 5 \right) }^2[/tex]
[tex]\pi \,\left( 25 - 10\,y^2 + y^4 \right) - \pi \,1 [/tex]
[tex]\pi \,\left( 24 - 10\,y^2 + y^4 \right)[/tex]

-Dale

Attachments

• solid.GIF
    solid.GIF
    16 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:

1. What is the "disc/shell problem" in mathematics?

The disc/shell problem is a common type of volume calculation in calculus, where a solid shape is formed by rotating a two-dimensional region around a specified axis. This method is used to find the volume of irregularly shaped objects that cannot be easily calculated using traditional geometric formulas.

2. How do you solve the disc/shell problem?

To solve the disc/shell problem, we use the disk and washer method or the cylindrical shell method. These methods involve breaking down the solid shape into smaller discs or shells and calculating the volume of each one. The volumes are then added together to find the total volume of the solid.

3. What is the significance of the axis of revolution in the disc/shell problem?

The axis of revolution is the line around which the two-dimensional region is rotated to form the solid shape. It determines the orientation of the discs or shells and is crucial in calculating the volume using the disc/shell method.

4. Can the disc/shell problem be solved for any axis of revolution?

Yes, the disc/shell problem can be solved for any axis of revolution, as long as the two-dimensional region being rotated is symmetric about the axis. This means that the shape or function remains the same when reflected over the axis of revolution.

5. How is the "Find Volume of Solid Revolved Around x=6" problem different from other disc/shell problems?

This type of disc/shell problem specifies a specific axis of revolution, which is x=6 in this case. This means that the solid shape is formed by rotating the two-dimensional region around a vertical line that is 6 units away from the y-axis. The methods for solving this type of problem are the same as other disc/shell problems, but the calculations will be specific to the given axis of revolution.