Volume Integration Around Non-Coordinate Axis

In summary, the region bounded by the graphs of the equations about the line x = 5 generates a solid with a volume of 5.
Destroxia

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by the graphs of the equations about the line x = 5. (Use disk method)

$$ xy = 3, y = 1, y = 4, x = 5 $$

Homework Equations

[/B]
The formula using for disk method is of the form:

$$ \pi \int (r(x/y))^2*(dx/y) $$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So first I graphed this out, and came up with a region, like so (represented by the white region):

img.png

In disk method, when rotating around a vertical axis, the differential of dy is used.

Setting this integral up, our limits are y = 1, to y = 4, as given in the problem statement.

My main question is how do we represent the r in the disk method equation, when the axis is meant to be around x = 5, and not the y-axis.

The best I could think of would be:

$$ \pi \int_{1}^{4} (\frac {y} {3} + 5)^{2} dy $$

However, something tells me this isn't the right approach, because I'm not seeing the logic behind whether or not I should add, subtract, or subtract from the x = 5.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
RyanTAsher said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by the graphs of the equations about the line x = 5. (Use disk method)

$$ xy = 3, y = 1, y = 4, x = 5 $$

Homework Equations

[/B]
The formula using for disk method is of the form:

$$ \pi \int (r(x/y))^2*(dx/y) $$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So first I graphed this out, and came up with a region, like so (represented by the white region):

img.png

In disk method, when rotating around a vertical axis, the differential of dy is used.

Setting this integral up, our limits are y = 1, to y = 4, as given in the problem statement.

My main question is how do we represent the r in the disk method equation, when the axis is meant to be around x = 5, and not the y-axis.

The best I could think of would be:

$$ \pi \int_{1}^{4} (\frac {y} {3} + 5)^{2} dy $$

However, something tells me this isn't the right approach, because I'm not seeing the logic behind whether or not I should add, subtract, or subtract from the x = 5.

Thank you.
Remember, r(y) is the distance measured from the curve xy = 3 to the line x = 5. Examining your graph should tell you what r(1) must be. I don't think that's what the integrand in your integral indicates.

RyanTAsher said:

Homework Equations

[/B]
The formula using for disk method is of the form:$$ \pi \int (r(x/y))^2*(dx/y) $$
I suspect that the formula you gave for the disk method is to be interpreted as a general formula in which you will use only x or only y , depending upon whether the axis is horizontal or is vertical .

Use ##\displaystyle \ \ \pi \int (r(x))^2\ dx\ \ ## or ##\displaystyle \ \ \pi \int (r(y))^2\ dy\ \ ## as appropriate.

So, you could interpret the distance as ## 5 - x ##? and thus make the ## r = 5 - \frac 3 y ## ?

The integral would then become ## \pi \int_{1}^{4} (5 - \frac {3} {y} )^{2} dy ## ?

RyanTAsher said:
So, you could interpret the distance as ## 5 - x ##? and thus make the ## r = 5 - \frac 3 y ## ?

The integral would then become ## \pi \int_{1}^{4} (5 - \frac {3} {y} )^{2} dy ## ?
Yes. Looks good to me.

What is volume integration around non-coordinate axis?

Volume integration around non-coordinate axis is a mathematical concept used in calculus to find the volume of a solid object whose axis of revolution is not aligned with the coordinate axes. It involves using integration techniques to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional figure.

How is volume integration around non-coordinate axis different from regular volume integration?

In regular volume integration, the axis of revolution is aligned with one of the coordinate axes and the formula for calculating the volume is fairly simple. However, in volume integration around non-coordinate axis, the axis of revolution is not aligned with any of the coordinate axes, making the calculations more complex.

What is the formula for calculating volume using integration around non-coordinate axis?

The formula for calculating volume using integration around non-coordinate axis is V = π ∫[a,b] (f(x))^2 dx, where f(x) is the function representing the cross-sectional area of the solid at a given value of x, and a and b are the limits of integration.

What are some real-world applications of volume integration around non-coordinate axis?

Volume integration around non-coordinate axis is used in many engineering and physics applications, such as calculating the volume of a water tank with a curved shape, finding the volume of a propeller, or determining the volume of a 3D printed object with a non-linear shape.

What are some tips for solving volume integration problems around non-coordinate axis?

Some tips for solving volume integration problems around non-coordinate axis include visualizing the solid and its cross-sections, choosing the correct limits of integration, and using symmetry to simplify the calculations. It is also important to carefully set up the integral and choose the appropriate method of integration.