Permutation Question: Forming Sequences with a Sum of 7 from Digits 0-9"

• Thread starter forevergone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Permutation
In summary, there are 13440 possible sequences of length 6 that can be formed from the digits {0,1,2...9} if no repetition is allowed and the sum of the first two terms is 7. This is calculated by multiplying 8 (possibilities for first digit) by 8P4 (permutations of the remaining 4 digits).
forevergone
The question is:

A sequence of length 6 is formed from the digits {0,1,2...9}. If no repetition is allowed, how many of these sequences can be formed if:

f) the sum of the first two terms is 7?

So i set up my place holders:

_ _ _ _ _ _

if the first 2 place holders have a sum of 7, are there 8 possibilities for each place holder because 0+1, 1+6, 2+5, 3+4, 4+3, 5+2, 6+1, 7+0? Or would there be 4 for each consisting only of 0+1, 1+6, 2+5, 3+4? So really teh answer would be 16 x 8P4 or 64 x 8P4?

The answer was 13440, but I don't see why.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right on the right track. There are 8 possibilities for the first digit (0-7). Once that is picked the second digit is determined. That leaves 8 possible digits for the third, 7 possible for the fourth, 6 possible for the fifth, and 5 possible for the sixth.
8*1*8*7*6*5
8*8P4

-Dale

I see, ok.

Thanks!

1. How many different sequences can be formed with a sum of 7 from digits 0-9?

There are 120 different sequences that can be formed with a sum of 7 from digits 0-9.

2. Can the digits be repeated in a sequence?

Yes, the digits can be repeated in a sequence as long as the sum of the digits is equal to 7.

3. Is the order of the digits important in a sequence?

Yes, the order of the digits is important in a sequence. Changing the order of the digits will result in a different sequence.

4. How can I calculate the number of possible sequences on my own?

The number of possible sequences can be calculated by using the formula n!/(n-r)!, where n is the number of digits (10) and r is the sum of the digits (7). This results in 10!/3!, which simplifies to 10*9*8= 720, and then dividing by the number of repeated digits (2!) gives us 720/2= 360 possible sequences.

5. Can this concept be applied to other sums and digits?

Yes, this concept can be applied to other sums and digits by adjusting the formula to n!/(n-r)!, where n is the number of digits and r is the desired sum. The result will give the number of possible sequences that can be formed with the given digits and sum.