For any integer ## a ##, the units digit of ## a^{2} ## is?

In summary: Sorry, I meant the number of digits. But I forgot the specifics of the argument I had. Edit: I think it had to see with the fact that in the decimal representation, all non-unit digits will end in 0, so that only the unit digits will make a difference in this respect.In summary, for any integer ##a##, the units digit of ##a^2## is ##0, 1, 4, 5, 6,## or ##9##. This can be proven by showing that the units digit of ##a^2## is determined solely by the units digit of ##a##, and checking all possible units digits shows that they correspond to the possible units digits of ##a^
Math100
Homework Statement
Prove the following statement:
For any integer ## a ##, the units digit of ## a^{2} ## is ## 0, 1, 4, 5, 6 ##, or ## 9 ##.
Relevant Equations
None.
Proof:

Let ## a ## be any integer.
Then ## a\equiv 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ##, or ## 9\pmod {10} ##.
Note that ## a^{2}\equiv 0, 1, 4, 9, 6, 5, 6, 9, 4 ##, or ## 1\pmod {10} ##.
Thus ## a^{2}\equiv 0, 1, 4, 5, 6 ##, or ## 9\pmod {10} ##.
Therefore, the units digit of ## a^{2} ## is ## 0, 1, 4, 5, 6 ##, or ## 9 ## for any integer ## a ##.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Math100 said:
Homework Statement:: Prove the following statement:
For any integer ## a ##, the units digit of ## a^{2} ## is ## 0, 1, 4, 5, 6 ##, or ## 9 ##.
Relevant Equations:: None.

Proof:

Therefore, the units digit of ## a^{2} ## is ## 0, 1, 4, 5, 6 ##, or ## 9 ## for any integer ## a ##.
Do you really need us to check this one for you? It's very simple.

Math100 said:
Homework Statement:: Prove the following statement:
Relevant Equations:: None.

Proof:

Sure, but what are units digits? I assume you meant unique digits. Units in algebra are usually elements that have a multiplicative inverse, e.g. ##3\cdot 7 \equiv 1 \pmod {10}## so ##3^{-1}=7 \pmod {10}## is a unit of
$$
\mathbb{Z}/10\cdot \mathbb{Z}=\mathbb{Z}_{10} = \{[0],[1],[2],[3],[4],[5],[6],[7],[8],[9]\}
$$
I have put the remainders in brackets because they only represent one possible system, even though a natural one. But we could as well take ##\{[-4],[-3],[-2],[-1],[0],[1],[2],[3],[4]\}## as system of remainders.

fresh_42 said:
Sure, but what are units digits? I assume you meant unique digits. Units in algebra are usually elements that have a multiplicative inverse
No, I'm sure he meant units digits - the decimal digits in the ones' place in the decimal representation of an integer. E.g., the units digit of 13 is 3. This has absolutely nothing to do with algebraic units or multiplicative inverses or any of that.

• Informative
Likes Delta2, SammyS and fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
Sure, but what are units digits? I assume you meant unique digits. Units in algebra are usually elements that have a multiplicative inverse, e.g. ##3\cdot 7 \equiv 1 \pmod {10}## so ##3^{-1}=7 \pmod {10}## is a unit of
$$
\mathbb{Z}/10\cdot \mathbb{Z}=\mathbb{Z}_{10} = \{[0],[1],[2],[3],[4],[5],[6],[7],[8],[9]\}
$$
I have put the remainders in brackets because they only represent one possible system, even though a natural one. But we could as well take ##\{[-4],[-3],[-2],[-1],[0],[1],[2],[3],[4]\}## as system of remainders.
So ## a\equiv 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ##, or ## 9\pmod {10}\implies a^{2}\equiv 0, 1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36, 49, 64 ##, or ## 81\pmod {10} ##. This means the units digit of ## a^{2} ## is ## 0, 1, 4, 5, 6 ##, or ## 9 ## for any integer ## a ##.

Likes fresh_42 and Delta2
I'd say it comes down to showing that the units' digit of a alone determines the units' digit of $$a^2$$. So that you only need to check what happens with $$\{0,1,2,...9\}$$.
So maybe an induction argument of some sort would do.

WWGD said:
I'd say it comes down to showing that the units' digit of a alone determines the units' digit of ##a^2##. So that you only need to check what happens with ##\{0,1,2,...9\}##.
That's how I would do it.
WWGD said:
So maybe an induction argument of some sort would do.
I don't see how this would work. There are only 10 digits, so it's straightforward to check them all to show what needs to be shown.

Mark44 said:
That's how I would do it.

I don't see how this would work. There are only 10 digits, so it's straightforward to check them all to show what needs to be shown.
Sorry, I meant the number of digits. But I forgot the specifics of the argument I had. Edit: I think it had to see with the fact that in the decimal representation, all non-unit digits will end in 0, so that only the unit digits will make a difference in this respect.

1. What is the definition of a units digit?

The units digit is the rightmost digit in a number. For example, in the number 123, the units digit is 3.

2. Why is the units digit of a number important in mathematics?

The units digit can provide information about the divisibility and patterns of a number. It is also used in algorithms and calculations.

3. How does the units digit of a number change when it is squared?

The units digit of a number is determined by its last digit. When a number is squared, the units digit is determined by the last digit of the square of that number. For example, if the original number ends in 1, the square will end in 1; if the original number ends in 2, the square will end in 4; and so on.

4. Is the statement "For any integer ## a ##, the units digit of ## a^{2} ## is always the same" true?

Yes, this statement is true for all integers. The pattern of the units digit of a square follows a cycle of 4, meaning that the units digit will repeat every 4 squares.

5. Can the units digit of a number be used to determine its square root?

No, the units digit alone is not enough to determine the square root of a number. The square root of a number depends on all of its digits, not just the units digit.