View Poll Results: Who was the greatest physicist?
Isaac Newton 34 42.50%
Albert Einstein 27 33.75%
Richard P. Feynman 3 3.75%
James Clerk Maxwell 2 2.50%
Michael Faraday 1 1.25%
Max Planck 0 0%
Paul Dirac 2 2.50%
Galileo Galilei 8 10.00%
Niels Bohr 3 3.75%
Ernest Rutherford 0 0%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Register to reply

Greatest physicist of all time?

by FeynmanMH42
Tags: greatest, physicist, time
Share this thread:
FeynmanMH42
Dec16-05, 01:31 PM
P: 68
Who do you think was/is the greatest physicist who ever lived and why?
In my opinion #1 has to go to Newton, with Einstein and Feynman coming joint second. Newton started it all off, while Einstein and Feynman created a public face for science.
If the physicist you want is not in the poll, then say who it is and why in a post.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
arildno
Dec16-05, 01:34 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Hmm..I'm not much in favour of rankings like this, but if I must choose, I'd say Archimedes.
mezarashi
Dec16-05, 01:35 PM
HW Helper
P: 660
I think Newton is the 'nerdiest' you can go for a physicist. One man show, let's invent the math when it doesn't exist just can't be beat in my opinion.

Theoretician
Dec16-05, 02:17 PM
P: 34
Greatest physicist of all time?

Quote Quote by mezarashi
I think Newton is the 'nerdiest' you can go for a physicist. One man show, let's invent the math when it doesn't exist just can't be beat in my opinion.
Exactly, this is why it is very hard to see past Newton as the greatest physicist ever.
debeng
Dec17-05, 12:04 PM
P: 18
newton is no physicist, he is more a mathematican. whatever he proved of physics has been of significance only to the earths atmosphere, to this surrounding. and never proved anyhting that accounts to the true property of matter. but his mathematical theories sounds quite universal. his theories of motion are all based on practical materials and not on thoerotical basis so he only proved right what occurs in our surrounding and not beyond it. physics is more a theorotical science, isnt it? i account einstien's theorotical expanadings should be given some credit. he is the best.
inha
Dec17-05, 12:20 PM
P: 576
Quote Quote by debeng
physics is more a theorotical science, isnt it? :
NO! A gazillion experimental physicists disagree with you and quite a few theorists too. Including Einstein himself.
debeng
Dec17-05, 12:44 PM
P: 18
Quote Quote by inha
NO! A gazillion experimental physicists disagree with you and quite a few theorists too. Including Einstein himself.
i apologize for the direct way of saying it. but yet everything has a philosophical approach, and i believe exploring physics has its too. i think mathemtics is just another side of language. we have created mathematics the same way we have created language. they are the means we explore everything in science and our minds. but we never create physics for it exist on its own.
zoobyshoe
Dec17-05, 03:25 PM
P: 5,630
I used to think Newton, but I've changed my mind since I learned a bit about Galileo. I think Galileo was up against a world where there were more outrageously erroneous notions firmly in place than there have ever been since. It's amazing how much he did discover given that most of his energy had to be diverted to tedious arguments about extremely fundamental, obvious points, like the rate of fall of objects of dissimilar weight.
PerennialII
Dec17-05, 03:44 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,102
.... one hybrid of Newton & Einstein with a shake of Galileo please.
sameandnot
Dec17-05, 03:45 PM
P: 316
einstein was so revolutionary in his way of thinking. people still do not really understand the observations of that man. newton was a simple physicist, with great ingenuity, but not so much creative thought as einstein, it appears.

it is very difficult for me to think of newton as a genius... more of a technician.

einstein on the other hand, was creative genius... absolutely unequaled by newton.

then again, einstein couldn't have done it without newton, so it's fair that newton takes the cake, and that einstein "follow in his steps" so to speak.
Mk
Dec18-05, 07:03 AM
P: 2,056
Quote Quote by PerennialII
.... one hybrid of Newton & Einstein with a shake of Galileo please.
An omniscient being...
Bladibla
Dec18-05, 07:18 AM
P: 366
I think physics itself is too diverse in its subjects to choose a single 'greatest' physicist. Having said that, i'll try to answer it, but in a more specific way.
Experimental physics: Bardeen
Theoretical: Einstein
General: Newton
PerennialII
Dec18-05, 07:20 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,102
... think Einstein could have taken a lesson from Newton about methods of working (a snip of Newton's "somewhat" bizarre work ethics .... or mania is probably a better word).
marlon
Dec18-05, 07:45 AM
P: 4,006
Bohr, Dirac or Planck... In short, the QM-buddies

QM is far more usefull to us (and far more beautiful and elegant a theory than GR ever will be). After QM, classical physics comes second on the list of important, ingenious and usefull physics and GR closes the list.

regards
marlon

EDIT : the only thing Einstein ever did was formulating the equivalence principle, that is all.
marlon
Dec18-05, 07:46 AM
Quote Quote by Bladibla
Experimental physics: Bardeen
Huh

How's that ?

regards
marlon
Lisa!
Dec18-05, 08:35 AM
PF Gold
P: 973
Einstein! I just feel more comfortable with him than the others!
rachmaninoff
Dec18-05, 08:53 AM
P: n/a
What about Santa Claus? He modified GR to accomodate for FTL travel. Einstein never thought of that!

marlon
Dec18-05, 10:34 AM
Quote Quote by Lisa!
Einstein! I just feel more comfortable with him than the others!
I checked the poll and yes, you actually voted for Einstein. Can you please tell me why ?

marlon

Register to reply