Register to reply

Why does zero average velocity equal zero displacement?

by opticaltempest
Tags: average, displacement, equal, velocity
Share this thread:
opticaltempest
Jan11-06, 06:14 PM
P: 135
I have a homework question which I would like to try to explain more mathematically.

If the average velocity of an object is zero in some time interval, what can we say about the displacement of the object for that interval?

Thinking about it graphically, I realize it must be zero. Could anyone give me a hint as to how I could explain this using algebra and calculus?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
G01
Jan11-06, 06:20 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,685
[2+(-2)]/2 = the average = 0

if an average of velocities ends is ends up being zero it must mean some of those velocities must be negative. What does a negative velocity mean?

try first explaining this mathmatically for two velocities such as 2 and -2 that are each constant during half of the trip. Find the average velocity from the two velocities that the object travelled at.
Tide
Jan11-06, 06:22 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 3,144
Zero average velocity does not equal zero dislacement.

Zero average velocity equals zero average displacement. :)

G01
Jan11-06, 06:26 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,685
Why does zero average velocity equal zero displacement?

Quote Quote by Tide
Good Point lol. The average displacement would be zero but the total distance traveled obviously would not.
robphy
Jan11-06, 07:08 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,139
Start with the definition of average velocity [where the time-weighted aspect is often forgotten]:
[tex]v_{av \mbox{\scriptsize\ from A to B}}=\displaystyle\frac{\int^{t_B}_{t_A} v\ dt}{\int^{t_B}_{t_A} dt}[/tex]
Can you interpret the numerator and denomenator?
If I recall correctly, the "displacement for that interval" depends only on the endpoints of the interval in question.
vaishakh
Jan12-06, 03:29 PM
P: 342
No Tide, Dear understand that displacement is something that depends only on the final and initial state. The nonzero part is the distance covered which is a scalar and hence always positive. There is no such thing as average displacement. I don't what you to have such conceptual defects.
Robphy has done it anyway. Average velocity = displacement/time.
Average speed = distance/time and even here if average speed is 0, distance covered is also 0.
Tide
Jan12-06, 11:48 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by vaishakh
No Tide, Dear understand that displacement is something that depends only on the final and initial state.
Displacement is a vector and indicates both how far something has moved and in what direction it has moved.

The nonzero part is the distance covered which is a scalar and hence always positive.
We were talking about displacement and not distance. Displacement is a vector as I've already indicated.[/quote]

There is no such thing as average displacement. I don't what you to have such conceptual defects.
Thank you for your concern. However:

[tex]<\vec D> = \frac {\int_0^t \vec D(t') dt'}{\int_0^t dt'}[/tex]
vaishakh
Jan13-06, 02:07 PM
P: 342
Don't argue on this dear, Displacement = final position - initial position.

I don't find anything differant in the integral equation you gave. The answer only depends on that 0 and t - more precisely the interval through which you are integrating.
Doc Al
Jan13-06, 02:34 PM
Mentor
P: 41,563
Quote Quote by opticaltempest
If the average velocity of an object is zero in some time interval, what can we say about the displacement of the object for that interval?
Not sure what you are looking for since the standard definition of average velocity is displacement/time, which can only be zero if the displacement is zero. No need for calculus.
Tide
Jan13-06, 11:03 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by vaishakh
Don't argue on this dear, Displacement = final position - initial position.
I hope that is a reflection of unfamiliarity with the language because I am not amused.

Average displacement is most certainly a valid quantity. If, at n different moments, the displacement is [itex]\vec D_j[/itex] then the average displacement is

[tex]\frac {\sum_{j} \vec D_j}{n}[/tex]
SpaceTiger
Jan14-06, 03:37 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,977
Quote Quote by Tide
Wouldn't it be the other way around?

Let's say I take my mouse from its center position (from which we'll define the displacement) and move it quickly to the right some arbitrary distance and then equally quickly back to the center. Then, I move it slowly the same distance to the left and equally slowly back to center again.

Over this entire time, since the motions are symmetric (that is, the mouse spends the same amount of time moving in the positive direction as the negative), the average velocity must be zero. Also, we're back to the central position, so the net displacement must be zero. However, since we spent more time moving the mouse on the left, the time-averaged displacement must point to the left. Would you agree?
Tide
Jan14-06, 04:55 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
ST,

Yes, good example! In fact, you don't even need the second part to make the point. The excursion to the right and then back to the "origin" is sufficient to demonstrate zero average velocity but nonzero average displacement since the displacement is nonnegative during that interval.

I withdraw my ill-considered assertion and thank you for setting me straight. :)
SpaceTiger
Jan14-06, 05:10 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,977
Quote Quote by Tide
I withdraw my ill-considered assertion and thank you for setting me straight. :)
It (apparently) happens to the best of us.

Register to reply