SR - Getting Zero Spatial Displacement

In summary, the conversation is about trying to understand why a certain method gives a zero spatial displacement while another does not. It is mentioned that the assumption that ##\Delta x_{AB} = v \Delta t_{AB}## is not always true and only applies to events with no spatial separation in ##\bar{\mathcal O}##. The person expresses their gratitude for any clarification on the matter.
A_Stone
Summary:: I have tried for some time to understand my error but can't figure it out. Any help will be much appreciated.

Hi!

I'm trying to figure out why the spatial displacement from two events A and B gives zero when I use one method compared to another which doesn't give zero spatial displacement. I have a picture from the calculations below.

SR_Question.jpg

Thanks for any clarification to why the first method is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are assuming that ##\Delta x_{AB} = v \Delta t_{AB}##. This is not true. It is only true for events with no spatial separation in ##\bar{\mathcal O}## as those are the events that are separated by ##v \Delta t## in ##\mathcal O##.

Likes A_Stone and Ibix
Orodruin said:
You are assuming that ##\Delta x_{AB} = v \Delta t_{AB}##. This is not true. It is only true for events with no spatial separation in ##\bar{\mathcal O}## as those are the events that are separated by ##v \Delta t## in ##\mathcal O##.
Thank you!

1. What is SR (Spatial Relocation)?

SR, also known as spatial relocation, is a phenomenon in which an object or person appears to have moved in space without actually undergoing any physical movement. This can occur due to various factors such as optical illusions, changes in perspective, or psychological factors.

2. How does SR relate to getting zero spatial displacement?

In the context of SR, getting zero spatial displacement means that an object or person appears to have moved in space but has actually remained in the same physical location. This can occur when the brain interprets visual cues incorrectly, leading to an illusion of movement.

3. What are some common examples of SR?

Some common examples of SR include the Ames room illusion, where two people of different sizes appear to be the same height when standing in certain spots in the room, and the waterfall illusion, where a stationary object appears to be moving when looking at a waterfall.

4. How does SR impact our perception of reality?

SR can greatly impact our perception of reality as it shows that our brains can be easily fooled by visual cues and illusions. It also highlights the importance of context and perspective in how we perceive the world around us.

5. Can SR be used for practical purposes?

Yes, SR has been used in various fields such as visual effects in movies and virtual reality technology. It can also be used in psychological experiments to study how the brain processes visual information and how illusions can affect our perception.