Average velocity ##\bar{v}## for a uniformly accelerating particle

brotherbobby
Homework Statement
Show that if a particle is undergoing uniform acceleration, its average velocity over a time ##t## may be written as ##\bar{v} = \dfrac{v_f+v_i}{2}## or as ##\dfrac{x_f-x_i}{t}##, where ##f## and ##i## refer to initial and final values.
Relevant Equations
1. Average velocity is defined to be ##\quad\bar{v} \overset{\text{def.}}{=}\dfrac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}##.
2. For uniformly accelerated motion, final velocity ##\quad v_f=v_1+a_0(t_f-t_i)##
1704046769048.png
Statement of the problem :
Let me copy and paste the problem from the text. Please note it's part (i) that I am seeking to answer. I know the answer to part (ii).

Solution : To show where my error appears, I take the time(s) to be ##t_f## and ##t_i##, whereby the given time interval ##t = t_f-t_i##. The average velocity ##\small{\quad\bar{v}\overset{\text{def.}}{=}\dfrac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}= \dfrac{\int\limits_{t_i}^{t_f}v(t)dt}{t_f-t_i}=\dfrac{\int\limits_{t_i}^{t_f}(v_i+a_0t)dt}{t_f-t_i}=v_i+\dfrac{a_0}{t_f-t_i}\left[ \dfrac{t^2}{2} \right]_{t_i}^{t_f}=v_i+\dfrac{a_0}{2(t_f-t_i)}\left( t_f^2 - t_i^2\right) = v_i+\dfrac{a_0}{2}\left( t_f+t_i \right)=\dfrac{v_i+\{v_i+a_0\left( t_f+t_i\right)\}}{2}}##
The last term is not equal to the final velocity ##v_f## : ##\quad\dfrac{v_i+\overbrace{\{v_i+a_0\left( t_f+t_i\right)\}}^{\ne v_f}}{2}\ne\dfrac{v_i+v_f}{2}##.
We note that the final velocity ##v_f=v_i+a_0(t_f-t_i)##. For me, the minus sign ##-## is replaced with a plus##+## sign.
This is where I am stuck. Request : A hint would be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
brotherbobby said:
We note that the final velocity ##v_f=v_i+a_0(t_f-t_i)##. For me, the minus sign ##-## is replaced with a plus##+## sign.
You'll have to explain why you made that a plus sign!

PeroK said:
You'll have to explain why you made that a plus sign!
1704051745507.png

From my calculations above. The two terms which have "##-##" signs cancel, leaving the term ##t_f+t_i##.

brotherbobby said:
View attachment 337949
From my calculations above. The two terms which have "##-##" signs cancel, leaving the term ##t_f+t_i##.
You have integrated wrongly. You should find that the integral of velocity for constant acceleration is
$$x_f -x_i = v_i(t_f-t_i) +\frac 1 2 a(t_f^2 -t_i^2)$$
Ps sorry, I meant:
$$x_f -x_i = v_i(t_f-t_i) +\frac 1 2 a(t_f-t_i)^2$$

Last edited:
I don't follow you. What you wrote is exactly what I did.

##x_f -x_i = v_i(t_f-t_i) +\frac 1 2 a(t_f^2 -t_i^2)##

If you divide both sides of the equation by ##t_f-t_i##, you get ##\bar v= v_i+\dfrac{1}{2}a_0(t_f+t_i)##, which is what I got.
PeroK said:
You have integrated wrongly
Can you show me where in my workings in post #1 above?

Your integration is fine. What you have inadvertently done is used the wrong function for ##v(t)##. I ask you to evaluate ##v(t)## at ##t=t_o## and tell us what you get.

Likes PeroK and Orodruin
erobz said:
Your integration is fine. What you have inadvertently done is used the wrong function for ##v(t)##. I ask you to evaluate ##v(t)## at ##t=t_o## and tell us what you get.
I got you. We should have ##v(t) = v_i+a_0(t-t_i)##. Hence when ##t=t_i##, ##v(t_i)=v_i##.

Likes erobz
I show you the calculations below in rough. Thanks. I have solved the problem.
1704055489561.png

Likes erobz
It will save you significant algebra if you do a ##u## substitution with ##u = t - t_o ## to evaluate the integral.

##du = dt##

## u_f = t_f - t_o##

## u_o = t_o -t_o = 0 ##

$$ \bar{v} = \frac{ \int_{0}^{u_f} \left( v_o + a_o u \right) du}{u_f} $$

$$ \implies \bar{v} = \frac{v_o u_f + \frac{1}{2} a_o u_f^2 }{u_f} $$

$$ \implies \bar{v} = v_o + \frac{1}{2} a_o u_f = v_o + \frac{1}{2} a_o ( t_f - t_o ) = \frac{v_o+v_f}{2} $$

What is the formula for average velocity for a uniformly accelerating particle?

The formula for average velocity for a uniformly accelerating particle is given by ##\bar{v} = \frac{v_i + v_f}{2}##, where ##v_i## is the initial velocity and ##v_f## is the final velocity.

How is average velocity different from instantaneous velocity for a uniformly accelerating particle?

Average velocity for a uniformly accelerating particle is the total displacement divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of the particle at a specific instant in time.

Can the average velocity of a uniformly accelerating particle be negative?

Yes, the average velocity of a uniformly accelerating particle can be negative if the initial velocity is greater than the final velocity and the particle is moving in the negative direction.

How does acceleration affect the average velocity of a particle?

Acceleration affects the average velocity of a particle by changing the rate at which the velocity of the particle changes over time. A higher acceleration will result in a greater change in velocity, affecting the average velocity.

Is the average velocity of a uniformly accelerating particle constant?

No, the average velocity of a uniformly accelerating particle is not constant. It changes as the particle accelerates or decelerates over time, resulting in a different average velocity at different points in time.