Register to reply

Graph of y=x^2

by Menos
Tags: graph
Share this thread:
Menos
Feb14-06, 04:16 PM
P: 5
Interesting feature of this graph. Consider 2 points on the parabola, I'll take (-2,4) and (4,16). By multipling the positive x values (2*4=8), you can get the y-intercept of the line from (-2,4) to (4,16). Proof: The line including (-2,4) and (4, 16) is written as y=2x+8. Thus, the y-intercept is 8. My question is why does this work? I've been trying to figure it out for a while, and I am completly stumped on this one... Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
0rthodontist
Feb14-06, 05:45 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,253
First find the general equation for the slope b in terms of x1, y1, x2, and y2. Then use the fact that y1 = x1^2 and y2 = x2^2.

Actually it's not the product of the absolute value of the x values, it's the opposite of the product of the x values.
Integral
Feb14-06, 06:19 PM
Mentor
P: 7,315
Start from the 2 point formula for a line.

[tex] \frac {y - y_1} {x - x_1} = \frac {y_2 - y_1} {x_2 - x_1} [/tex]

The formula for your parabola is

[tex] y = x^2 [/tex]

So we can write

[tex] y_1 = x_1^2 [/tex]
and
[tex] y_2 = x_2^2 [/tex]

Use this information in the 2 point formula to get

[tex] \frac {y - y_1} {x - x_1} = \frac {x_2^2 - x_1^2} {x_2 - x_1} [/tex]

Note that the numerator on the Right Hand Side is the differenc of squares and can be factored to get

[tex] \frac {y - y_1} {x - x_1} = \frac {(x_2 - x_1) (x_2 + x_1)} {x_2 - x_1} [/tex]

Cancel like factors in the RHS
[tex] \frac {y - y_1} {x - x_1} = (x_2 + x_1) [/tex]

Now rearrange this to get

[tex] y - y_1 = (x - x_1) (x_2 + x_1)[/tex]
Simplify to get:
[tex] y = x (x_2 + x_1) - x_1 x_2[/tex]

Clearly you are correct for the simple parabola, in addition it can be seen that the slope of the line is the sum of the x coordinates.

Register to reply