Explaining the Vertical Line Feature in Graphing Equations

In summary, the conversation discussed graphing the equation y(x-1)=x^2-1 by inserting values for y and solving for x. It was mentioned that at x=1, there is a vertical line where any value of y will satisfy the equation. However, it was pointed out that this is a removable discontinuity and there is no actual vertical line in the graph. There was also a discussion about solving for x in the equation, with some disagreement about the correct answer. Overall, the conversation focused on clarifying the concept of a vertical line in the graph and the process of solving for x in the equation.
Mr Indeterminate said:
Right after my cousin takes my money and puts 1,000s of miles between him and I, does he reveal that he cheated…..:mad:

Look, I'm completely willing to accept that 0x=0 and x=0/0 are not the same thing, so long as a reason why this is the case is provided.

I reason the contrary because it's a matter of consistency, consider the below:

If ax=b and y=b/a then x=y

Now the above is correct when a=2 and b=6, as both x and y equal 3. It also correct when b=1 and a=0, as both x and y are undefined. Thus, it makes no sense for it to be incorrect when a=0 and b=0, as it's correct in all other instances.
To repeat what I've already said, it is improper to even write down x=0/0 except as an example of something that is improper. It is improper because, in the context of ordinary numeric division, the 0/0 does not mean anything. Writing down "x=0/0" is similar to writing down "x=$%3&^17". It is just gibberish.

By contrast, it is proper to write down 0x=0. The resulting equation does not constrain x. But that is ok. There is no rule that says that all equations must have solution sets that are singletons.

If one were to broaden the context to interval arithmetic (arithmetic on sets of real numbers) then one could define X/Y (for set X and set Y) as {z : zy = x for some y in Y and some x in X}. If this were done then {0}/{0} would denote the set of all real numbers. One might then be tempted to streamline the notation and say that ##\frac{0}{0} = \mathbb{R}##. In this context, ##\frac{0}{0}## would be well defined and the solution set to 0x=b would be the same as the solution set to x=##\frac{0}{0}##.

But the context of interval arithmetic is not given. By default, we take "0" to denote a real number, "/" to denote ordinary real division and understand that division of one real number by another always yields a single definite real number except in the case of division by zero where the result is undefined and the operation may not be used.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mr Indeterminate said:
If ax=b and y=b/a then x=y
No, this conclusion is not correct. The second equation, y = b/a, is defined only if a ≠ 0.
Mr Indeterminate said:
Now the above is correct when a=2 and b=6, as both x and y equal 3. It also correct when b=1 and a=0
Sure, the conclusion (x = y) is correct when a = 2 and b = 6, but it is not correct when a = 0.
Division by 0 is not defined.

Since the OP's question was answered, I am now closing this thread.