Finding Proportional Relationships using Log-Log Graphs

In summary: So, if x = 0, then y = -b/m = 0. Therefore, b = 0. So, what is the equation for line 8?In summary, the equations of the original relationships for lines #1-4 are:Line #1: y = 100xLine #2: y = 100x^2Line #3: y = x^3Line #4: y = 10(√x)For lines #5-8, the equations can be found by converting the log-log plot equations into the original relationships form. The equations are:Line #5: y = 3.02 x 10^5 x^-0.
Stormblessed

Homework Statement

[/B]
Given a a log-log graph with 8 lines, you must determine the equation of each line in its original relationship. The slope of the graph (m) gives the power of the original relationship.

Examples:

if m = 2, 3; then y ∝ x^2, x^3, etc.
if m = -1, -2; then y ∝ 1/x, 1/x^2, etc.
if m = 1/2, 1/3; then y ∝ √x, ∛x, etc.
if m = 2/3; then y ∝ ∛x^2The antilog of the y-intercept (b) of the line gives the proportionality constant (or magnitude of the slope) of the original relationship.

Note: Worksheet is uploaded

Homework Equations

[/B]
y = (antilog b) (X^m) ← To find proportionality constant

m = Δ Log y/ Δ Log x ← To find slope of log-log line

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to determine the equations of the original relationships for lines #1-4, being:

Line #1: y = 100x
Line #2: y = 100x^2
Line #3: y = x^3
Line #4: y = 10(√x)

However, I am completely stumped on determining the equations for lines 5-8, as the slopes that I calculated are not as easy to convert as the first four lines. So, I found the slopes for lines 5-8, which are:

Line #5: m = -0.9
Line #6: m = -1.5
Line #7: m = -3.8 ≈ -4
Line #8: m = 4/3

I still do not know how to convert these values into the X^m values, as was done for lines 1-4, because these numbers are a little bit wonky.

I also used the antilog for the y-intercept of lines 5-8 to find the magnitude of the proportionality constant:

Line #5: y = 3.2 x 10^5
Line #6: y = 1.0 x 10^5
Line #7: y = 3.2 x 10^4
Line #8: unable to find y-intercept, so I could not determine value of proportionality constant

How do I turn the slopes of the log-log lines into the powers for the original relationships and use that to find the equation of the original line? Also, how do I find the y-intercept of Line #8? An explanation of this would really be helpful.

Note: my understanding in math is at a grade 11 level ( I don't know calculus).

Thanks

Attachments

• graphs.pdf
    212.6 KB · Views: 278
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose these were ordinary x-y plots rather than log-log plots. Would you be able to determine the equation for each of the straight lines? If so, what is your x-y equation for line 5? (Your present determination of the slope is not correct). What would be your x-y equation for line 8?

The x-y equation that I got for Line #5 is y = -0.9 x + 5.48. But I still do not know how to convert this into the original relation form.

Stormblessed said:
The x-y equation that I got for Line #5 is y = -0.9 x + 5.48. But I still do not know how to convert this into the original relation form.
Now you write ##\log{Y}=5.48-0.9 \log{X}=5.48+\log{X^{-0.9}}=\log{(3.02\times 10^5)}+\log{X^{-0.9}}=\log{(3.02\times 10^5X^{-0.9})}##
So, $$Y=3.02\times 10^5X^{-0.9}$$

For line 8, if y = mx + b, the x intercept (y = 0) is ##x=-b/m##.

What is a log-log graph?

A log-log graph is a type of graph where both the x-axis and the y-axis use a logarithmic scale. This means that the values on the axes increase exponentially rather than linearly. In other words, each increment on the axis represents a multiplication by a fixed number, rather than an addition of a fixed number.

Why use a log-log graph to find proportional relationships?

Log-log graphs are useful for finding proportional relationships because they can visually represent exponential relationships as straight lines. This makes it easier to identify patterns and determine if a relationship is proportional or not. Additionally, using a log-log graph can help to better visualize and understand data that spans a wide range of values.

How do you determine if a relationship is proportional on a log-log graph?

To determine if a relationship is proportional on a log-log graph, you can look at the slope of the line. If the slope is constant, then the relationship is proportional. This means that as one variable increases, the other variable also increases by a constant factor. In other words, the ratio of the two variables remains the same throughout the graph.

What are the benefits of using log-log graphs over linear graphs?

Log-log graphs have several benefits over linear graphs. They can better represent data that spans a wide range of values, they can easily identify exponential relationships, and they can help to visualize and understand data that is difficult to interpret on a linear graph. Additionally, log-log graphs can help to identify patterns and trends in the data that may not be apparent on a linear graph.

How can log-log graphs be used in real-world applications?

Log-log graphs are commonly used in scientific and mathematical fields, such as biology, economics, and physics. They can be used to analyze and understand data related to population growth, economic trends, and physical phenomena. They are also useful in creating models and predicting future outcomes based on existing data relationships.