Modern Physics, Finding wave length problem! wee!!

by mr_coffee
Tags: length, modern, physics, wave
mr_coffee
Apr12-06, 02:46 PM
P: 1,629
Ello ello!
I'm having troubles getting this table started. The directions are:
Use the Bohr diagram shown below to complete the following table.

Tell the wavelength and color of light emitted when the following energy level changes occur.
Orbital change
n = 4 to n = 1
Wavelength = ?

Color/Type
Select:
red/UV/green/IR/blue

Well once i find the wave length i'm pretty sure i can just look at the table, and find the correct color it corresponds too.

So if n = 4, that looks like its pointing to the UV spectrum, but what are those numbers under it? such as: 397 389 etc

So it goes to n =1, that means it is going to give off light. and n =1 looks lkike its still in the UV spectrum. so would i take the wave lengths:
397 - 389 = 8nm? i'm assuming those numbers are in nano meters. So the color type would be UV which i got right. But i'm still confused on the wave length. I subbmited 8nm as my answer and it was wrong.Any help would be great!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
dav2008
Apr12-06, 02:57 PM
PF Gold
P: 623
In the circular diagram, there is an arrow that signals the n=4 to n=1 transition. The arrow signifies the photon that is emitted when an electron drops from the n=4 to n=1 state.

Yes the numbers are the wavelength in nanometers.
Doc Al
Apr12-06, 03:08 PM
Mentor
P: 40,875
Quote Quote by mr_coffee
Well once i find the wave length i'm pretty sure i can just look at the table, and find the correct color it corresponds too.
Just follow the arrows; they point to the wavelength of the photon emitted for each transition.

So if n = 4, that looks like its pointing to the UV spectrum, but what are those numbers under it? such as: 397 389 etc
Each line in the spectrum has its wavelength listed.

So it goes to n =1, that means it is going to give off light. and n =1 looks lkike its still in the UV spectrum. so would i take the wave lengths:
397 - 389 = 8nm? i'm assuming those numbers are in nano meters. So the color type would be UV which i got right. But i'm still confused on the wave length. I subbmited 8nm as my answer and it was wrong.Any help would be great!
No need to subtract anything. Find the n = 4 to 1 transition, follow the arrow, then read off the wavelength.

mr_coffee
Apr12-06, 06:18 PM

Modern Physics, Finding wave length problem! wee!!

thanks guys that worked for the first, the answer was: 389 nm, and it was UV. I just looked at n4 and followed the arrow to the 389.
but i went onto the next one which is:
n = 4 n = 2, i wrote down the wave length of the n = 2, and the n =4, both wrong and its also saying its not even UV light anymore. But if u follow the arrows n = 2, and n = 4 are both in the UV. Any ideas what i'm misinterpreting? thanks!
Doc Al
Apr12-06, 06:34 PM
Mentor
P: 40,875
A wavelength corresponds to a transition between two levels, so to say that you found the wavelength for n = 2 or n = 4 doesn't make sense. Find the arrow that shows the electron falling from n = 4 to n = 2; that's the one you want.
mr_coffee
Apr12-06, 10:16 PM
Oo i got what your saying now! thanks a ton Doc!

Register to reply