I.E. Irodov Problems in General Physics, 1.304

In summary: Therefore, the deflection at a given radius is not just the contribution of the fluid particles between that radius and the axis, but also the contribution from higher radii.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the bending moment on an element a distance ##x## away from the axis of rotation using an integral equation. There is a discrepancy between the given integral expression and the solution in the textbook. The conversation also explores other approaches to solving the problem, such as considering the bending moment about a parallel axis or using the cantilever beam method. It is determined that the deflection is not just due to the mass of the steel plate but also the inertial force in the rotating frame.
Luke Tan
Homework Statement
A steel plate of thickness h has the shape of a square whose side equals l, with h << l. The plate is rigidy fixed to a vertical axle OO which is rotated with a constant angular acceleration ##\beta##. Find the deflection ##\lambda##, assuming the sagging to be small
Relevant Equations
$$EI\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=N(x)$$
My struggle here comes from finding the bending moment ##N(x)##. My working is as follows.

We want to find the bending moment on an element a distance ##x## away from the axis of rotation. To do so, let us consider the bending moment due to the force on an element ##\xi>x## away from the axis of rotation. The perpendicular force on this element is ##\xi\beta dm##. Hence, the total bending moment on this element would be
$$N=\int_x^l(\xi-x)(\xi\beta \mu d\xi)$$
Where ##\mu=\rho l h## is the mass per unit length. However, the solutions manual has this expression

Screenshot_722.png

(Solutions to I.E. Irodov's Problems in General Physics, Volume 1, Second Edition, Singh)

Where the integrand is ##\xi^2##, rather than ##\xi(\xi-x)##. I initially thought that the solutions manual was wrong, but it seems like sources all over the internet have ##\xi^2## under the integral sign. Can someone explain to me what I did wrong?

Thanks!

Likes etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
A diagram would help. Is the plate in a horizontal or vertical plane? Where is the axle in relation to the plate?

haruspex said:
A diagram would help. Is the plate in a horizontal or vertical plane? Where is the axle in relation to the plate?
I forgot to attach the given diagram, here it is (the axle is vertical, thus the plate is vertical)

Screenshot_723.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_722.png
    Screenshot_722.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 99
Then I agree with your integral.

Yes I also agree with yourself and @haruspex. The bending moment ##N(x)## is applied to the element about a vertical axis passing through an arbitrary point on the cross section connecting the element and the rest of the square. The solution they give computes it about the axis OO, which doesn't make sense!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Lnewqban
Just in case anyone's interested, there's another way you could look at the solution that makes it slightly less wrong (but still wrong).

The internal forces acting on the outer element are comprised of a shear force and a bending moment. The easiest way to solve it would be to, as you did, balance moments about the point ##x##, since then the shear force has no moment. However, we could also balance the moments on this element about the axis OO.

The bending moment is, as always, produced by a couple so its moment about the axis OO is exactly the same as that about a parallel axis through the point ##x## - which is what you get if you evaluate your integral. Except now we also need to account for the contribution of the shear force, at a distance ##x## from OO, which we can compute by balancing forces in the axial direction: $$F_s = \int_x^l \xi \beta dm = \int_x^l \xi \beta \rho h l d\xi = \frac{1}{2}\beta \rho h l (l^2 - x^2)$$ $$\tau_s = \frac{1}{2}x\beta \rho h l (l^2 - x^2)$$ You will see that if you do the integral you wrote down, this term ##\tau_s## will be the difference between it and the book answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Lnewqban
Likes etotheipi
Lnewqban said:
What does create the deflection, only the mass of the steel plate or some additional drag force from the fluid surrounding it?
Could you solve the problem as a cantilever beam under uniformly distributed load?

Please, see:
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/cantilever-beams-d_1848.html

:cool:

In the rotating frame, there's an inertial force proportional to the tangential acceleration ##\beta## that results in a non-uniform loading on the structure. So the cantilever approach is definitely a good one.

You'll see that I have you to thank for post #6 :wink:

Likes Lnewqban
etotheipi said:
In the rotating frame, there's an inertial force proportional to the tangential acceleration ##\beta## that results in a non-uniform loading on the structure. So the cantilever approach is definitely a good one.

You'll see that I have you to thank for post #6 :wink:
Thank you very much for the clarification, etotheipi. :smile:
In that case, the inertial load is not uniformly distributed, but dependent on the radius.

Likes etotheipi

1. What is the difficulty level of "I.E. Irodov Problems in General Physics, 1.304"?

The difficulty level of "I.E. Irodov Problems in General Physics, 1.304" is considered to be very high. These problems are designed for advanced level students and require a strong understanding of physics concepts and mathematical skills.

2. How many problems are included in "I.E. Irodov Problems in General Physics, 1.304"?

There are a total of 304 problems included in "I.E. Irodov Problems in General Physics, 1.304". These problems cover a wide range of topics in general physics and are meant to challenge students and test their understanding of the subject.

3. Are the problems in "I.E. Irodov Problems in General Physics, 1.304" based on real-life situations?

Yes, many of the problems in "I.E. Irodov Problems in General Physics, 1.304" are based on real-life situations and applications of physics principles. This makes the book not only a great resource for learning, but also for developing problem-solving skills.

4. Can "I.E. Irodov Problems in General Physics, 1.304" be used for competitive exam preparation?

Yes, "I.E. Irodov Problems in General Physics, 1.304" is a popular resource for students preparing for competitive exams such as the IIT-JEE, NEET, and other entrance exams. The problems in this book are challenging and can help students improve their problem-solving abilities.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background to solve the problems in "I.E. Irodov Problems in General Physics, 1.304"?

Yes, a strong mathematical background is essential for solving the problems in "I.E. Irodov Problems in General Physics, 1.304". Many of the problems require advanced mathematical skills and knowledge of calculus, algebra, and trigonometry.