Decay length of the evanescent wave

In summary, the decay length of the evanescent wave is the distance over which the amplitude of the wave decreases by a factor of 1/e. It is inversely proportional to the refractive index of the medium and is affected by factors such as wavelength, angle of incidence, and properties of the medium. This concept is important in various fields of science and can be experimentally determined using techniques such as intensity measurements, ellipsometry, and interferometry.
says

Homework Statement

A beam of light of vacuum wavelength λ = 550nm passes from water (refractive index 1.33) into air (refractive index 1.00).

(a) What is the critical angle?

(b) Suppose the beam is totally internally reflected. At what angle of incidence would the decay length of the evanescent wave be equal to λ?

Homework Equations

δ = λ / [ 2*π √(n2 sin2θ - n'2) ]

where

λ = 550 nm

δ: decay length

n = 1.33

n'= 1.00

The Attempt at a Solution

a) = 48.75° - That's pretty simple to calculate the critical angle

I'm having a few issues with b) though.

δ = λ, therefore:

2*π √(n2 sin2θ - n'2) = 1

√(n2 sin2θ - n'2) = 1 / 2*π

(n2 sin2θ - n'2) = √ (1 / 2*π)

n2 sin2θ = √ (1 / 2*π) + n'2

sin2θ = [ √ (1 / 2*π) + 12 ] / 1.332

sin2θ = 0.79085

√sin2θ = √0.79085

sinθ = 0.88929747553

sin-1(0.88929747553) = 62.78°

So the angle of incidence I get equals 62.78°. When I plug this back into the original equation though I get:

(5.5*10-7) / [ 2*π √(1.332 sin2(62.78°) - 12) ] = 1.386 * 10-7m

So the decay length of 1.386 * 10-7m is not equal to the length of the evanescent wave of 5.5*10-7m.

I'm not sure where I've gone wrong here. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
says said:

(n2 sin2θ - n'2) = √ (1 / 2*π)

n2 sin2θ = √ (1 / 2*π) + n'2

sin2θ = [ √ (1 / 2*π) + 12 ] / 1.332
You might want to check these steps.

(n2 sin2θ - n'2) = 1 / 4π2

(n2 sin2θ) = (1 / 4π2) + n'2

sin2θ = ( (1 / 4π2) + n'2 ) / n2

√ sin2θ = √ [ ( (1 / 4π2) + n'2 ) / n2 ]

sinθ = √ [ ( (1 / 4π2) + 1.002 ) / 1.332 ]

sinθ = 0.76134

sin-1θ = 49.58°

so...

(5.5*10-7) / [ 2*π √(1.332 sin2(49.58°) - 12) ] = 5.5*10-7m

Thanks @mfb - can't believe I didn't see that initial mistake! Must have been looking at the problem for too long.

1. What is the decay length of the evanescent wave?

The decay length of the evanescent wave is the distance over which the amplitude of the wave decreases by a factor of 1/e (approximately 37%). It is a measure of how quickly the energy of the wave dissipates as it propagates through a medium.

2. How is the decay length of the evanescent wave related to the refractive index?

The decay length of the evanescent wave is inversely proportional to the refractive index of the medium it is propagating through. This means that a higher refractive index will result in a shorter decay length, while a lower refractive index will result in a longer decay length.

3. What factors affect the decay length of the evanescent wave?

The decay length of the evanescent wave is affected by the wavelength of the wave, the angle of incidence, and the properties of the medium it is propagating through. It is also dependent on the polarization of the wave and the presence of any reflecting or absorbing surfaces.

4. How is the decay length of the evanescent wave used in scientific research?

The decay length of the evanescent wave is an important concept in various fields of science, such as optics, nanotechnology, and surface science. It is used to study the properties of materials at a microscopic level and can also be utilized in techniques such as total internal reflection fluorescence microscopy.

5. How can the decay length of the evanescent wave be experimentally determined?

The decay length of the evanescent wave can be experimentally determined by measuring the intensity of the wave at different distances from the interface between two media. The data can then be analyzed using mathematical models to calculate the decay length. Other techniques such as ellipsometry and interferometry can also be used to determine the decay length.