Register to reply

Retina/cornea scanners

by UrbanXrisis
Tags: retina or cornea, scanners
Share this thread:
UrbanXrisis
Apr18-06, 03:04 PM
P: 1,206
are there retina/cornea scanners out there? or is that just a fabrication of movies? If there were these types of eye-scanners, what do theses scanners scan for to distingush one eye from the other?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Tiny UAVs and hummingbirds are put to test
Britain to trial driverless cars from 2015
NIST corrosion lab tests suggest need for underground gas tank retrofits
Danger
Apr18-06, 03:28 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
I'm not sure about the corneal ones, but the retinal scanners read the pattern of blood vessels in the back of the eye. Like fingerprints, no two people's are the same. If 'corneal' ones exist, I suspect that it's a misnomer. They probably read the specific colour pattern of the iris. I don't really know that much about them, though.
UrbanXrisis
Apr18-06, 03:41 PM
P: 1,206
is there a link as to where i can find more information on retinal scanners? I've been looking online and cant find much about it

Danger
Apr18-06, 03:44 PM
PF Gold
Retina/cornea scanners

I don't really do much net-surfing, so I don't know of any sites offhand. The field that covers such devices is called 'biometrics'. I'd suggest that as a Googling jump-off point.
NoTime
Apr19-06, 08:48 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,571
Don't think there are cornea scanners.
That's the clear outer layer of the eye.
However, iris scanners seem to be an up and coming thing.
In addition to Dangers suggestion you could also try <iris scanner> in Google, it brings up a number of hits.
dav2008
Apr19-06, 09:11 PM
PF Gold
P: 621
Quote Quote by Danger
I'm not sure about the corneal ones, but the retinal scanners read the pattern of blood vessels in the back of the eye. Like fingerprints, no two people's are the same. If 'corneal' ones exist, I suspect that it's a misnomer. They probably read the specific colour pattern of the iris. I don't really know that much about them, though.
Isn't it possible for these blood vessels to change over time? Blood vessels can pop, can't they?
Danger
Apr20-06, 11:50 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by dav2008
Isn't it possible for these blood vessels to change over time? Blood vessels can pop, can't they?
True, but I suspect that they still maintain position, regardless of whether or not they're damaged. Someone from Biology should deal with that one. Also, multi-point matching is probably used, the same as with fingerprints. A cut, blister, wart, etc. doesn't prevent a match based upon the undamaged part of the finger. As far as that goes, though, I haven't seen anything about retinal scanners lately. Maybe they were phased out for just that reason.
I just happened to notice that there's an article about this on 'How Stuff Works'. I haven't read it, but it should be helpful. Most of their things are very well done.
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/biometrics.htm

Register to reply