How much should it cost to build an MRI Scanner?

In summary, the cost of building an MRI scanner can range from 3-5 million dollars for a typical system, but it is possible to construct a viable MRI scanner for less, such as the Siemens Magnetom Essenza which is priced at < 1 million dollars. However, this price may still be twice the actual cost due to additional expenses such as shipping, installation, and warranty. The complexity of the technology and image processing also contribute to the high cost, and it took many years of research and development by multiple experts to create the first MRI scanner. Despite the challenges, it is possible to build your own scanner with a thorough understanding of the science and access to necessary resources.
Myles Cummings
I recently had an MRI scan, and while I was inside I began thinking about how the thing actually worked, and what it would cost to build. The hospital staff told me that the cost was several million dollars, and subsequent research seems to confirm that the 'average' MRI scanner cost between 3-5 million dollars.

I wondered whether it may be possible to build one for less?
After all in principle isn't it is just a very large set of electromagnets, a few radio antennas and a cooling system? OK I understand its a bit more sophisticated than that and it has to be computer controlled etc within a specially constructed room, but I think you get my drift?

Would it be possible to construct a viable MRI scanner for less - say sub 1m dollars?

Interested to hear your opinions, and apologies if this isn't the right thread to post this question, it's my first time here.

Cheers

M

Physics news on Phys.org
Myles Cummings said:
Would it be possible to construct a viable MRI scanner for less - say sub 1m dollars?
Yes. The major manufacturers do offer such systems. For instance the Siemens Magnetom Essenza is a 1.5 T superconducting system priced at < 1 M USD. Refurbished and/or low field systems can be obtained for < 0.5 M USD.

Hmm. Interesting. Thanks for the input.

Myles Cummings said:
Hmm. Interesting. Thanks for the input.
Welcome! You might think about this question: if such low cost MRI systems exist, then why is a typical system so much more expensive?

Dale said:
For instance the Siemens Magnetom Essenza is a 1.5 T superconducting system priced at < 1 M USD.
Also note that that's probably twice the actual cost to build it. There's shipping, installation and start-up, warranty/service, and of course overhead and profit in there.

Likes Dale and davenn
For small items at least, roughly pocket radio complexity, the minimum multiplier for selling price is 5 times material cost. That covers the minimal mark-up in the supply chain, without advertising, field support etc. Much stuff on the market is at least a 10 times multiplier.

How much to get all the image processing hardware and software to work successfully? It did take a few ( well, more than 20 ) PhDs in various fields to put it together in the first place, the imaging was the bottle neck. That is the break through that Cho Zang-hee pursued at Cololombia/KAIST in developing it. The strength of the magnet is also a large part of the production. It has to maintain a very uniform field inside the doughnut to get good images.

Keep in mind also that GE General Electric gave up on MRI/NMR saying it was unusable.

After you have a great working knowledge of the science, ( I would spend a few years studying all the papers listed...) You could possibly build your own...

I have a connection to this: My father was Cumming, J.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cho_Zang-hee

1. How much does an MRI scanner typically cost?

The cost of an MRI scanner can vary greatly depending on the type, features, and brand of the scanner. On average, a new MRI scanner can cost anywhere from $1 million to $3 million. However, a used or refurbished scanner can cost significantly less, ranging from $500,000 to $1 million.

2. What factors affect the cost of building an MRI scanner?

There are several factors that can affect the cost of building an MRI scanner. These include the type and strength of the magnet, the number and type of coils, the brand and model of the scanner, and any additional features or upgrades. The location and size of the facility where the scanner will be installed can also impact the cost.

3. Are there any ongoing costs associated with owning an MRI scanner?

Yes, there are ongoing costs associated with owning an MRI scanner. These can include maintenance and service fees, as well as the cost of electricity and liquid helium for cooling the magnet. It is important to budget for these expenses in addition to the initial purchase price.

4. Can the cost of building an MRI scanner be covered by insurance or government funding?

In some cases, insurance may cover a portion of the cost of building an MRI scanner. This is typically only for medical facilities that will be using the scanner for patient care. Government funding may also be available for research institutions or hospitals that can demonstrate a need for an MRI scanner. However, these funding options can be competitive and may not cover the entire cost.

5. How long does it take to build an MRI scanner?

The time it takes to build an MRI scanner can vary depending on the type and complexity of the scanner. On average, it can take anywhere from 6 months to 2 years to build and install an MRI scanner. This includes the time for manufacturing, delivery, and installation, as well as any necessary training and certification. Factors such as customization, availability of parts, and installation site readiness can also impact the timeline.