Most Powerful Microscope

by Flatland
Tags: microscope, powerful
Flatland
May5-06, 01:59 AM
P: 150
What is the most powerful microscope in the world? And when I say microscope, I mean a microscope that can produce an actual image, nothing like the atom tip microscope or whatever. What is the smallest object anyone has ever seen? In other words, I wanna see a REAL image of whatever is the smallest crap any scientist has ever seen with their eyes.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
Gokul43201
May5-06, 10:45 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,154
In other words, you don't think an image produced say, by electrons is a REAL image ?

Well, then you are limited by the resolution offered by visible light, ~ 1 micron...unless you will accept NSOM as REAL. This can be achieved by most any high resolution optical microscope.

No scientist, however, will call these the most powerful microscopes in the world.
Flatland
May5-06, 03:40 PM
uhh where did I say images produced by electrons aren't real? In fact that's precisely what I mean. Why the hell do people always think light when you say microscope? Whether it's photons, electrons, quarks or whatever particle you decide to use my question still stands. What is the smallest image ever seen that still constitute in a classical sense of "seeing." Why is this question so hard to understand?

Pengwuino
May5-06, 03:44 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,125

Most Powerful Microscope

In other words, I wanna see a REAL image of whatever is the smallest crap any scientist has ever seen with their eyes.
there.....
Flatland
May5-06, 03:45 PM
what??????
Flatland
May5-06, 03:48 PM
wow you people really don't understand my question. and I thought this was suppost to be science forum

::sigh::
Pengwuino
May5-06, 04:07 PM
PF Gold
Your question is poorly worded, Gokul gave you as good of an answer as one could expect
Flatland
May5-06, 04:11 PM
no it wasn't. my question is: what is the smallest object one can possibly see. I didn't ask anything about light or electrons. So let me say it again, what is the smallest object anyone has ever seen? Can it get any more direct than that?
Pengwuino
May5-06, 04:13 PM
PF Gold
We've seen individual atoms. I've heard its doubtful we can even isolate quarks, let alone see them.
Flatland
May5-06, 04:15 PM
We have? Can you post a picture? Last I heard, QM doesn't allow you to actually see an atom
Pengwuino
May5-06, 04:17 PM
PF Gold
Well that's where it gets kind of weird. What do we mean when we say "see" an atom.

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/images/8109/...ium_corral.JPG

For example, this famous corral that IBM made... does it really count as "seeing"?
Flatland
May5-06, 04:19 PM
when I say see, I mean being able to see physical features (whether it's with photons, or electrons or anything else for that matter) Look at the image bellow of a red blood cell. It was produced by an electron microscope

http://www.pbrc.hawaii.edu/microangela/rbc.htm

What is the smallest object ever seen that's still analgous to that picture in terms of "seeing"?
Pengwuino
May5-06, 04:22 PM
PF Gold
Well the thing is, im wondering if those pictures are true color. I do remember someone telling me once that electron microscope pictures are colored by the operators and don't represent true colors.
Flatland
May5-06, 04:25 PM
Yes, electron microscope see in black and white. The color is digitally added. But that doesn't mean the image is fake. That picture above of the red blood cell is REAL in every sense of the word.
Pengwuino
May5-06, 04:27 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Flatland
Yes, electron microscope see in black and white. The color is digitally added. But that doesn't mean the image is fake. That picture above of the red blood cell is REAL in every sense of the word.
Well then if that's the criteria we're using, atoms are the smallest thing we've been able to see.
Flatland
May5-06, 04:33 PM
Really? So we've been able to see physical features of an atom? Like the electron cloud and stuff? What does it actually look like? Pictures is really what I want
Flatland
May5-06, 04:38 PM
Okay, I just did some research on google and it says that the smallest actual image ever taken is a single strand of DNA, with an electron microscope. Anyone can provide any images of what a strand of DNA actually looks like under an electron microscope?
chroot
May5-06, 06:01 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,424
Flatland, you appear to be missing the point. Below some limit, the concept of "seeing," that is, bouncing particles off an object and measuring their reflections, is no longer meaningful.

You can't, for example, "see" or "make a picture" of the electrons surrounding a nucleus, because you would need to using gamma radiation (very small wavelength light) to even hope to resolve an individual electron -- yet those gamma photons have enormous energy and totally disrupt and break apart the atom as you're trying to observe it.

- Warren

Register to reply