Angular Magnification for a Microscope

In summary, the angular magnification of a compound microscope with an eyepiece focal length of 2.50 cm and an objective focal length of 1.8 cm, separated by 22 cm, used by a person with normal eyes (near point at 25 cm) can be calculated using the equation M = (25)(s'1)/( (f1)(f2) ). The location of the object can be determined by having the image from the eyepiece form at infinity, and adjusting the object distance for the objective to meet this criterion.
Temp0

Homework Statement

The eyepiece of a compound microscope has a focal length of 2.50 cm and the objective has a focal length of 1.8 cm. The two lenses are separated by 22 cm. The microscope is used by a person with normal eyes (near point at 25 cm). What is the angular magnification of the microscope?

Homework Equations

M = (25)(s'1)/( (f1)(f2) )

The Attempt at a Solution

So I understand that the 25 comes from the near point of the eye for a human. However, with f1 defined as the focal length for the objective lens (1.8 cm) and f2 defined as the focal point for the eyepiece (2.50 cm), I don't know how to calculate the location of the image since I don't know the location of the object. Can anyone clarify this for me? Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I've found online, the idea is to have the image from the eyepiece form at infinity to minimize eyestrain. From this information, you should be able to deduce where the object must be for the eyepiece. The object distance for the objective is adjusted so that its image forms at the right location to meet the criterion above.

1. What is angular magnification for a microscope?

Angular magnification is a measure of how much larger an object appears when viewed through a microscope compared to the naked eye. It is calculated by dividing the angle subtended by the object when viewed through the microscope by the angle subtended by the object when viewed with the naked eye.

2. How is angular magnification calculated?

Angular magnification is calculated by dividing the focal length of the objective lens by the focal length of the eyepiece lens. This formula is also known as the magnifying power of a microscope.

3. What is the relationship between angular magnification and magnification power?

Angular magnification and magnification power are directly related. As the angular magnification increases, the magnification power also increases. However, the magnification power also depends on the distance between the objective lens and the eyepiece lens.

4. How does the angular magnification affect the resolution of a microscope?

The angular magnification has a direct impact on the resolution of a microscope. As the angular magnification increases, the resolution decreases. This is because a higher magnification can make the image appear grainier and less sharp.

5. Can angular magnification be adjusted on a microscope?

Yes, angular magnification can be adjusted on a microscope by changing the distance between the objective lens and the eyepiece lens. This can be done by adjusting the focus knob or by using different objective lenses with varying focal lengths.