Kirchhoff's Rules

by sap_54
Tags: kirchhoff, rules
sap_54
May11-06, 07:19 PM
P: 5
I understand (or at least thought I did) :D Kirchhoff's rules. When I got to this circuit; however, I got a wee bit confused. The arrows indicate where I placed my three arbitrary currents. When writing equations for the two smaller loops (the ones on the left), I didn't know which current to use for the middle portion (in red). Should I add another current here?
Attached Files
File Type: doc circuit.doc (28.5 KB, 24 views)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Doc Al
May12-06, 01:44 PM
Mentor
P: 40,905
I recommend that you use the branch current method to solve these kinds of problems: Assign each distinct branch its own current. (In this circuit, I see 6 branches.)
FrogPad
May12-06, 01:52 PM
P: 838
When does current change?
A good way to think of current is as water flowing through a pipe. Think of the voltage source as a faucet pumping out water. So what would happen if you had a pipe that forked? The water would reach it and the water would split, a portion going one way and another portion going the other.

A more mechanical way of thinking of it is. Current changes when you have elements in parallel. What is the definition of parallel?
A loose definition is when two elements share start/end nodes.

So if you label all your nodes {A,B,C,...} and then arbitrarily assign a current from node A to B, A to C, ... then you will get your answer.

Register to reply