Sign conventions for Kirchhoff's loop rule

Meow12
Homework Statement
Describe the sign convention for Kirchhoff's loop rule in a battery, capacitor, resistor, and inductor.
Relevant Equations
##\sum V=0##
Battery and Capacitor
For a battery (or capacitor), the potential increases by ##\mathcal{E}## (or ##\displaystyle\frac{q}{C}##) as we move from -ve to +ve terminal (or plate) regardless of the direction of the assumed current.

Resistor and Inductor
Suppose we are traversing the loop in the same direction as the assumed current.
The potential decreases by ##iR## as we travel through the resistor.
The potential decreases by ##\displaystyle L\frac{di}{dt}## as we travel through the inductor.

Is this correct?

(I know that strictly speaking, Kirchhoff's loop rule must be modified before being used in a circuit with an inductor as the electric field is non-conservative. Let's assume that we've made the required modification.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Delta2 said:
And for the capacitor the + terminal is the one we first meet as we traverse the loop in the direction of the assumed current
I did not know that. Could you please explain why?

Meow12 said:
I did not know that. Could you please explain why?
Because the the direction of current is the direction of flow of positive charges, that they first meet the positive terminal and they gather there and then via the mechanism of electrostatic induction they induce equal and opposite charge on the other terminal.

I was wondering btw how else could you find the positive terminal of capacitor. Some capacitors (the so called electrolytic capacitors) have prescribed polarity like the batteries, did you mean that?

Likes Meow12
Delta2 said:
I was wondering btw how else could you find the positive terminal of capacitor. Some capacitors (the so called electrolytic capacitors) have prescribed polarity like the batteries, did you mean that?
No, I didn't mean that. My textbook marks the positive terminal of capacitors in circuits, so I never had to rely on the method you just described. Thanks!

Likes Delta2
Delta2 said:
And for the capacitor the + terminal is the one we first meet as we traverse the loop in the direction of the assumed current
I just want to clarify one thing--this is true only when the capacitor is being charged, right? Not when it is being discharged?

When the capacitor is being discharged, I think we first meet the - terminal as we traverse the loop in the direction of the assumed current. Because the positive charges in the wire strive to neutralize the negatively charged terminal.

Meow12 said:
I just want to clarify one thing--this is true only when the capacitor is being charged, right? Not when it is being discharged?

When the capacitor is being discharged, I think we first meet the - terminal as we traverse the loop in the direction of the assumed current. Because the positive charges in the wire strive to neutralize the negatively charged terminal.
Yes you are correct.

Likes Meow12

What are the sign conventions for Kirchhoff's loop rule?

The sign conventions for Kirchhoff's loop rule are based on the direction of current flow and the polarity of the components in the circuit. When traversing a loop in the direction of current flow, the voltage drop across a resistor is considered positive, while the voltage rise across a battery is considered negative.

How do you determine the direction of current flow in a circuit?

The direction of current flow in a circuit is typically indicated by an arrow on the circuit diagram. The arrow points in the direction that positive charge carriers would move, which is opposite to the flow of electrons.

What is the significance of following the sign conventions in Kirchhoff's loop rule?

Following the sign conventions in Kirchhoff's loop rule ensures that the algebraic sum of the voltages around a closed loop in a circuit equals zero. This principle is essential for accurately analyzing and solving circuit problems.

Can the sign conventions for Kirchhoff's loop rule be applied to both series and parallel circuits?

Yes, the sign conventions for Kirchhoff's loop rule can be applied to both series and parallel circuits. By following the conventions for voltage drops and rises, you can effectively analyze the behavior of currents and voltages in complex circuits.

What happens if the sign conventions are not followed in Kirchhoff's loop rule?

If the sign conventions are not followed in Kirchhoff's loop rule, the calculations may lead to incorrect results. It is important to adhere to the conventions to ensure that the algebraic sum of voltages around a closed loop is accurately determined.