by Rach3
Tags: indonesia, volcano
Share this thread:
Rach3
May13-06, 09:49 AM
P: 318

Thousands Flee From Active Volcano

Quote Quote by NYT
YOGYAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) -- Indonesia ordered the immediate evacuation Saturday of thousands of people from the slopes of Mount Merapi volcano, warning of an imminent eruption as the mountain oozed fiery lava and belched clouds of black ash.
''Because there have been constant lava flows that cause hot gases, we have raised the status to the highest level,'' said Bambang Dwiyanto, head of the region's volcanology center.
Photo of lava flow
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Suddenly, the sun is eerily quiet: Where did the sunspots go?
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Mammoth and mastodon behavior was less roam, more stay at home
dimensionless
May13-06, 07:28 PM
P: 464
I've been reading about this stuff.

The volcano is midway between Krakatau and Mount Tambora. The 1815 Mount Tambora eruption is the largest volcanic eruption in recorded history, the 1883 Krakatau eruption is the second. The volcano is also located along the same fault line that caused the 2004 tsunami.

My prediction is an eruption on the scale of Montserrat or Mount St. Helens but I don't know this stuff at all well.
Astronuc
May13-06, 08:03 PM
Admin
P: 21,806
Some background on Mount Merapi, which has been active since mid March this year.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Nat...3?img_id=13538

Back in April -
Frequent earthquakes and plumes of sulfur-laden gas indicated that Mt. Merapi was gearing up for an eruption in late April 2006. The volcano is one of Indonesia’s most active and dangerous volcanoes. The slopes of the volcano are densely populated, with four districts clustered on its flanks. As many as 80,000 people may be displaced if the volcano erupts, depending on which way the lava flows down the summit, reported the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA). Thousands of people who live near the volcano had been evacuated by April 27, and more were preparing to leave as the volcano continued to rumble. An eruption in 1994 claimed at least 66 lives, and a 1930 eruption killed 1,370.

Among the most serious dangers an erupting Merapi poses to the surrounding population are its characteristic pyroclastic flows and lahars. Avalanches of hot ash, gas, and rock sweep down the mountain at speeds of 100 kilometers per hour or more in a pyroclastic flow, accompanied or followed by volcanic mudflows—lahars. Pyroclastic flows and lahars have been responsible for much of the damage caused by the volcano during its long eruptive history.
Merapi (Smithsonian) - http://www.volcano.si.edu/world/volc...?vnum=0603-25=

Rach3
May15-06, 08:36 AM
Volcano going off in Indonesia!

Clouds of ash
wolram
May15-06, 08:55 AM
PF Gold
P: 3,682
Quote Quote by Rach3
That looks bad, is it heading towards populated areas ?
Rach3
May15-06, 09:09 AM
Not yet, but many locals are refusing to evacuate.

Many say they are waiting for specific signs - such as clouds in the shape of a sheep's fleece - to show them an eruption is imminent.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4771459.stm
wolram
May15-06, 09:15 AM
PF Gold
P: 3,682
So sad, the sheeps fleece maybe the last thing thet see.
hypatia
May15-06, 09:36 AM
P: 1,298
That cloud behind the motorbike..looks like a sheeps head to me! They best get to step'en!
ZapperZ
May18-06, 09:23 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
There really is nothing to be afraid of. I found a way to make sure the people are safe from the devastation of the volcano.

Merpai has been intermittently and regularly active over the past century, with about 1,300 people dying in an eruption in 1930. In 1994, a wedding party of about 60 people were killed by the scorching ash and gas of a pyroclastic flow from Merapi. Six years later, Luhr visited the same village with Indonesian vulcanologists to speak with the people still living there, to explain why they should leave the area. The answer from the village elders was that they already had a solution that allowed them to remain: teams of men would run naked around the village at night to keep it safe from the fiery mountain's wrath.
http://www.nature.com/news/2006/0605.../060515-9.html

See? There really is nothing to be worried about!

:)

Zz.
Astronuc
May18-06, 12:09 PM
Admin
I've always wondered if it wouldn't make sense to dig a channel in the side of a volcano like Merapi, while it is dormant, so that when it erupts, the lava goes where it does the least harm. But then leave it to someone to settle down in that particular spot.

I wonder how much the land costs around an active volcano?
Rach3
May18-06, 02:20 PM
Quote Quote by Astronuc
I've always wondered if it wouldn't make sense to dig a channel in the side of a volcano like Merapi, while it is dormant, so that when it erupts, the lava goes where it does the least harm. But then leave it to someone to settle down in that particular spot.
I don't think volcanos are that tame...
Astronuc
May18-06, 06:51 PM
Admin
Quote Quote by Rach3
I don't think volcanos are that tame...
The latest eruption at Merapi started up back around Feb or March. The authorities have had plenty of time to think about defensive measures against lava flow.
matthyaouw
May19-06, 05:00 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,216
It's been tried with Mount Etna, and met with some success.
http://volcano.und.edu/vwdocs/volc_i...diversion.html
Astronuc
May19-06, 07:42 AM
Admin
Thanks matthyaouw, I was thinking about that, but wasn't sure.

In Iceland, the locals sprayed water on lava to cool it, and thus protect villages that were in the path of a lava flow. The lava actually improved the protection of a coastal village from the open sea.

Of course, being by the sea, they had lots of water at hand.

Register to reply