Radiation Universe: Exploring Rho for Stability and Black Holes

In summary: At the critical density, it's a "tossup" as to whether the box is a black hole or not. The smaller the box, the higher the critical density.In summary, the conversation discusses a toy universe filled with electromagnetic radiation and the conditions under which gravitational clumping and the formation of black holes would occur. The experts mention that at low energy density, the universe would be stable and uniform. They also discuss the critical density required for clumping and the possibility of multiple black holes forming at high energy densities. The exact equilibrium mix of black holes and background radiation is uncertain and depends on the size of the universe.
moving finger
Not being very mathematically inclined, I'm stumped with this one. Can anyone help?

Imagine a toy “closed” universe in the form of a very large box (say the size of our universe) with perfectly rigid and reflecting walls. The box is static in size (neither expanding nor contracting) and is uniformly filled with electromagnetic radiation, with an average energy density Rho, and nothing else.

The electromagnetic radiation will exert mutual gravitational attraction (vie E=mc^2).

At low values of Rho, we would expect to see no gravitational clumping of this radiation, in other words the toy universe would be stable with a uniform distribution of radiation.

Q1) What value of Rho is required before we observe gravitational clumping of the radiation (if at all)?

Q2) What value of Rho is required before we observe black holes forming?

Q3) If it is possible to spontaneously form black holes at high values of Rho, what would be the equilibrium mix of black holes vs background radiation as a function of Rho (taking into account the fact that black holes emit Hawking radiation)?

Best Regards

MF

Space news on Phys.org
moving finger said:
Not being very mathematically inclined, I'm stumped with this one. Can anyone help?

Imagine a toy “closed” universe in the form of a very large box (say the size of our universe) with perfectly rigid and reflecting walls. The box is static in size (neither expanding nor contracting) and is uniformly filled with electromagnetic radiation, with an average energy density Rho, and nothing else.

The electromagnetic radiation will exert mutual gravitational attraction (vie E=mc^2).

At low values of Rho, we would expect to see no gravitational clumping of this radiation, in other words the toy universe would be stable with a uniform distribution of radiation.

Q1) What value of Rho is required before we observe gravitational clumping of the radiation (if at all)?

Q2) What value of Rho is required before we observe black holes forming?

The last time I thought about this I convinced myself that we would only observe "clumping" when the density was sufficient to form a black hole.

I don't have a really solid argument for this, though - my thinking is that if we draw a sphere around a clump of radiation of a density less than that required to form a black hole, that the radiation should be expanding on the average. Thus on the average there would be no tendency to "clump", there would be a tendency to "expand".

The argument isn't airtight, esp. if the radiation isn't really random.

Q3) If it is possible to spontaneously form black holes at high values of Rho, what would be the equilibrium mix of black holes vs background radiation as a function of Rho (taking into account the fact that black holes emit Hawking radiation)?

I don't think you'd have multiple black holes in the box. The larger the box, the lower the critical density. When you exceed the critical density, the whole box should become a black hole.

1. What is "Radiation Universe" and how does it relate to exploring Rho for stability?

"Radiation Universe" refers to the study of the universe's radiation and its effects on celestial bodies. Exploring Rho, a measure of density, is important in understanding the stability and evolution of these bodies, as radiation can greatly impact their composition and behavior.

2. What role do black holes play in the Radiation Universe?

Black holes are one of the most extreme results of the Radiation Universe, as they are formed from the collapse of massive stars and emit strong radiation. Studying black holes can provide insights into the effects of radiation on celestial objects and the formation of galaxies.

3. How do scientists measure Rho in the universe?

Scientists use various methods to measure Rho in the universe, including analyzing the absorption and emission spectra of celestial objects, studying the dynamics of galaxy clusters, and observing the cosmic microwave background radiation. These measurements can help determine the density and distribution of matter in the universe.

4. What are the potential applications of studying Rho and black holes in the Radiation Universe?

Studying Rho and black holes in the Radiation Universe can provide insights into the formation and evolution of galaxies, the effects of radiation on celestial objects, and the behavior of matter in extreme environments. This knowledge can also aid in the development of new technologies, such as advanced telescopes and spacecraft, and inform our understanding of the universe.

5. How does the study of Rho and black holes contribute to our overall understanding of the universe?

The study of Rho and black holes is crucial in understanding the underlying principles and processes that govern the universe. By exploring these phenomena, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of the origins and evolution of the universe, the behavior of matter and energy, and the fundamental laws of physics.