Why didn't the Big Bang form a Black Hole?

peterraymond
TL;DR Summary
Why didn't the big bang form a black hole?
(pop science) It seems like the mass in the universe at the point of origin was way higher and the size way smaller than required to form a black hole, so why didn't our universe just sit forever as a single black hole? From a figure for the mass of the universe you could calculate the event horizon diameter. I can imagine that maybe it was a universe expanding, not just a massive object, but shortly after there was plenty of mass inside that universe that was very closely packed, so there could still be very many black holes forming shortly after the big bang, or a single one sitting out there someplace.

Space news on Phys.org
peterraymond said:
(pop science)
Is not a good source for learning actual science.

peterraymond said:
why didn't our universe just sit forever as a single black hole?
Because it was rapidly expanding. All of the calculations cited in pop science sources about how much mass there was in how small a volume vs. what would be required to form a black hole are only valid for a static object surrounded by vacuum. They are not valid for a rapidly expanding universe which is roughly the same density everywhere.

Likes Orodruin
Thanks for the replies. It did seem like it would be a FAQ - I just hadn't seen it. My "(pop science)" label was included not to say I had learned something from pop science, but just a warning that that was the level of the questioner.

One part of the answer leads naturally to another question I've been thinking about, but that will take a little longer to craft.

Thanks again.

• Skeptical
Likes berkeman
peterraymond said:
My "(pop science)" label was included not to say I had learned something from pop science, but just a warning that that was the level of the questioner.
This is what the thread level is for. If you only have pop science knowledge about the subject you should pick thread level B. Level I indicates undergraduate level knowledge.

PeterDonis said:
All of the calculations cited in pop science sources about how much mass there was in how small a volume vs. what would be required to form a black hole are only valid for a static object surrounded by vacuum. They are not valid for a rapidly expanding universe which is roughly the same density everywhere.
I have a question about this answer. I believe a few millions of years after the big bang, the observable universe, if it was surrounded by vacuum, had enough density for an event horizon. But larger black holes get less dense as the size increases. So does it mean that there are only 2 possibilities: that either A the universe is infinite and consistent density therefore no event horizon or B the universe is not infinite, but has an event horizon since the part we can see had sufficient density in the past to have an event horizon, and if the part we can’t see has the same density, it must be surrounded by an event horizon, since larger black holes are less dense?

Devin-M said:
I believe a few millions of years after the big bang, the observable universe, if it was surrounded by vacuum, had enough density for an event horizon.
You left out the "static object" part. Our observable universe has always been expanding. It has never been static. So even if we assume (contrary to our best current models) that outside our observable universe is vacuum, it still would not have formed a black hole. The expansion makes a difference.

Devin-M said:
does it mean that there are only 2 possibilities
No. Again, you're leaving out expansion, which is crucial. See above.

Likes Devin-M
Devin-M said:
if it was surrounded by vacuum
Also ... It wasn't. At least not according to the basic cosmological models, which assume the entire universe to be homogeneous - that includes regions outside the currently observable universe.

Likes Devin-M

1. Why didn't the Big Bang form a black hole given the high density and mass?

The Big Bang was not an explosion in space, but rather an expansion of space itself. The density and temperature were uniformly spread across the entire universe rather than being concentrated in a single point. This uniformity prevented any specific region from reaching the critical density required to form a black hole.

2. How does the expansion of the universe prevent the formation of a black hole during the Big Bang?

During the Big Bang, the universe expanded at an incredible rate, in a process known as cosmic inflation. This rapid expansion diluted the mass and energy density of the universe, spreading it evenly across vast distances. This uniform distribution of matter and the rapid expansion rate prevented any localized region from achieving the density necessary to collapse into a black hole.

3. Is the concept of density in the early universe different from density in current black hole theory?

Yes, the concept of density in the early universe and in black hole theory differs significantly. In black hole theory, density refers to a large amount of mass compacted into a very small area, leading to a strong gravitational pull. In contrast, the early universe, despite being extremely dense by today's standards, was expanding and cooling uniformly, which means its density was not concentrated enough in any specific region to form a black hole.

4. Could local fluctuations in density have led to black hole formation shortly after the Big Bang?

While there were certainly local fluctuations in the density of the early universe, these were generally not sufficient to form black holes in the immediate aftermath of the Big Bang. The fluctuations that did occur led to the formation of stars and galaxies rather than black holes. However, in some rare cases, it is theorized that primordial black holes could have formed if the density fluctuations were significantly large.

5. What role does dark energy play in the context of the Big Bang and black holes?

Dark energy, a mysterious form of energy that accelerates the expansion of the universe, plays a significant role in the evolution of the universe but had little impact on the initial conditions right after the Big Bang. Regarding black holes, dark energy does not directly contribute to their formation. However, by driving the accelerated expansion of the universe, dark energy influences the large-scale structure of the universe and the distribution of galaxies and black holes within it.