Solving an Electrical Problem: Help Needed

• Thread starter FredGarvin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrical
In summary, the conversation discusses an electrical problem involving a coil with a set resistance and a DC power source. The person asking for help is also curious about the coil's impedance and how to calculate the AC component of the output based on the power supply's ripple specification. The expert explains that the impedance of an inductor is determined by its frequency and inductance, and that power transformers use multiple turns to increase inductance at powerline frequencies. They also mention that a DC power supply with a ripple voltage of 10% or less means that the AC ripple waveform will have 10% or less of the DC value. The expert provides an equation for calculating the AC component of the output and the person expresses gratitude for the assistance.
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
I'm straying off the path by having to look at an electrical problem. I was hoping you guys might be able to point me in the right direction since it has been a long time since I have done anything like this. I'm hoping I'm having a serious brain fart and it's nice and easy.

What I have is a coil of some set resistance (the coil is being used as a resistive heater element). I have a DC power source feeding the coil. Dealing with the calculations in the DC realm is straight forward. No issues there. However, I was asked about the coil's impedance as well. So, I am assuming that, because the word "impedance" was used, that they are referring to a probable AC component coming from the PS. Is this a safe assumption?

Also, if my PS has a ripple spec of, say 10%, how would one calculate the AC component of the output based on the 10%? It's a 3Ø AC input.

Thanks for the help

Engineering news on Phys.org
The magnitude of the impedance of an inductor is [tex]|Z| = 2 \pi f L[/tex]
where f = frequency and L = inductance of the coil. It takes a lot of inductance to give you much impedance at 50/60Hz powerline frequencies. Power transformers, for example, use many turns around ferrous iron plate cores to get the inductance up enough to work at AC powerline frequencies. An air core (or other non-ferrous core) coil will have a low inductance, and hence a low impedance at powerline frequencies.

If the DC power supply spec is for a ripple voltage of 10% or less, that means that the AC ripple waveform that is superimpressed on the DC will have 10% or less of the DC value. So the output would look something like this in the worst case:

[tex]V = V_{dc} (1 + 0.1 sin(\omega t))[/tex]

Last edited:
Excellent. I was hoping I could do something like that along those lines. Thanks for the assist.

1. How do I know if I have an electrical problem?

There are a few signs that can indicate an electrical problem, such as flickering lights, tripping circuits, and burning smells. If you notice any of these, it is best to call a professional electrician to assess the issue.

2. Can I try to fix an electrical problem on my own?

It is not recommended to try and fix an electrical problem on your own. Electricity can be dangerous and requires proper training and equipment to handle. It is best to call a licensed electrician to ensure the problem is resolved safely and correctly.

3. How can I prevent electrical problems?

Regular maintenance and inspections of your electrical system can help prevent problems. Also, make sure to use appropriate wattage bulbs and do not overload outlets or extension cords.

4. What should I do if I experience an electrical emergency?

In case of an electrical emergency, such as a sparking outlet or a power outage, it is important to stay calm and call a licensed electrician immediately. Do not attempt to handle the issue on your own.

5. How much does it cost to solve an electrical problem?

The cost of solving an electrical problem can vary depending on the severity and complexity of the issue. It is best to get a quote from a licensed electrician before proceeding with any repairs or replacements.