Power supplied by AC component + DC component = total power?

In summary, if the current source supplies a sine wave with no dc offset, then power supplied by ac component is zero, and so power absorbed by resistor is the same as power supplied by ac component and dc component. However, if the current source supplies a sine wave with a dc offset, then power supplied by ac component is still the same as power absorbed by resistor; however, since there is a dc offset, there should be an additional power supplied by the dc component.
hsuy
Hi,

I have a question about ac component and dc component of a source. For example, there is a current source connected directly to a resistor.
If the current source supplies a sine wave with no dc offset, then I understand that power supplied by dc component is zero, and so power absorbed by resistor is the same as power supplied by ac component and dc component. ( in this case, power supplied by ac component is the same as power absorbed by resistor)
But what if the source supplies a sine wave with a dc offset? From what I understood, the power supplied by ac component needed to be calculated by using the effective value (rms). In this way, when I do the calculation, the power supplied by ac component is still the same as power absorbed by resistor; however, since there is a dc offset, there should be an additional power supplied by the dc component. Is that correct?
I feel really confused about this, hope someone helps me!

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can superimpose an AC signal with DC and sum the powers.

If you do it right, you can also calculate the RMS of a signal that has a DC offset. The RMS answer is not the same as one without the offset.

Just take any time varying signal, any shape, symmetrical or not, repeating or not, DC offset or not. Sample it in many small samples. Square each sample value, find the mean of the squares, take the square root of that. RMS means [square] Root of the Mean of the Squares.

Likes berkeman
It is very interesting, I did the same calculation for an example:

Let's say Vac[rms]=200 V and Vdc=100 V and the load impedance it is a pure resistance of R=10 ohms.

If we take Iac=200/10=20 A and Idc=100/10=10 A and we calculate the dissipated power separately

then Pac=20^2*10=4000 W and Pdc=10^2*10=1000 W total 5000 W.

Let's take now the total current 20+10=30 A. Ptotal=30^2*10=9000 W.

If total current it is I=[(sqrt(2)*Vac*sin(ꞷ*t)+Vdc)]/R then the dissipated energy in a half of a cycle will be:

E= R∫I^2*dt|t=0 to T/2| where T=1/frq

I^2=[2*Vac^2*sin(ꞷt)^2+2*sqrt(2)*sin(ꞷt)*Vac*Vdc+Vdc^2]/R^2

and the energy E=integral{[2*Vac^2*sin(ꞷt)^2+2*sqrt(2)*sin(ꞷt)*Vac*Vdc+Vdc^2]/R}

in the interval t=0 to T/2 and the result it is:

E=[Vac^2*(1/frq/2)+4*sqrt(2)*Vac*Vdc/ꞷ+Vdc^2/frq/2]/R [J(W.sec)]

Replacing the proposed values above will result:

E=71.68 J and divide by 1/60/2 P=8601.6 W

Likes jim hardy
NascentOxigen, this article is very interesting, indeed. However, in my opinion it is a mistake in one of equation. This:
upload_2018-3-18_20-8-6.png

it has to be:
upload_2018-3-18_20-9-2.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-18_20-8-6.png
    upload_2018-3-18_20-8-6.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 968
  • upload_2018-3-18_20-9-2.png
    upload_2018-3-18_20-9-2.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 964
Babadag said:
However, in my opinion it is a mistake in one of equation.
Yes, they do seem to have the wrong sign. Fortunately, it doesn't change their result. :cool:

I was wrong at the energy integral calculation in #4, because I considered only half a cycle and multiplied by 2. Because a.c. current change sign in the second half of the cycle, but d.c. current does not the total average is lower. So 5000 W it is correct answer. Sorry.

1. What is the difference between AC and DC power?

AC (alternating current) power is a type of electrical current that periodically changes direction, while DC (direct current) power flows in only one direction. AC power is typically used in household outlets, while DC power is commonly used in battery-operated devices.

2. How do AC and DC components contribute to total power?

The AC component of power contributes to the overall power by supplying energy during the positive and negative cycles of the current, while the DC component provides a constant flow of energy. The sum of these two components equals the total power.

3. Why is AC power used in household outlets?

AC power is used in household outlets because it is more efficient for long-distance transmission and can easily be converted to different voltages using transformers. It also allows for the use of alternating current motors, which are more reliable and cheaper to produce than DC motors.

4. Can AC and DC components be separated?

Yes, AC and DC components can be separated using devices such as rectifiers and filters. Rectifiers convert AC power to DC power by allowing current to flow in only one direction, while filters remove unwanted AC components from a DC signal.

5. How is total power affected by the frequency of the AC component?

The frequency of the AC component does not affect the total power, as long as the voltage and current remain constant. However, a higher frequency may result in a more efficient transmission of power and can also affect the design and performance of electrical devices.