Wireless Router

by habman_6
Tags: router, wireless
habman_6
Jun8-06, 05:32 PM
P: 16
What is a really good wireless router out now? Im hooking up my computer in my room with wireless and I really really dont want to have to put up with disconnecting every 5 minutes, weak signal,etc.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
-Job-
Jun8-06, 07:07 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,132
I recommend against a Linksys router, i had one in the past and it didn't perform (i've also come across many people having trouble with a linksys). Currently i have a Netgear router and i haven't had a problem with overheating or interference (2 other wireless networks in the building, +2 cell phones, +1 wireless phone). It was also suprisingly cheap.
No complaints so far.
habman_6
Jun8-06, 08:26 PM
I'm thinking about this baby: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0067260&catid=

I would need to get a pci adaptor/the usb thing to accompany, correct (since thats just the router)?

russ_watters
Jun8-06, 08:40 PM
Mentor
P: 22,008

Wireless Router

That looks good - I have a Netgear Rangemax and it did well for me in my last apartment, which had concrete walls that confounded other routers.

Before it died, I was using a Linksys, hacked to increase the wattage (I installed a cooling fan), and two directional antennas to aim the signal toward a concrete hallway.
Omega_6
Jun8-06, 08:58 PM
P: 40
Netgear is good and they can be bought cheap. I have a d-link now and it is wonderful...it was fairly expensive though. Linksys and Belkin wireless routers always seem to have problems from what I have heard (or give weak signals).
habman_6
Jun8-06, 09:08 PM
I have a d-link 514 now, which is really old, so should I upgrade the router to a really good one or try to stick with this one?

And also, I need something like this for my PC along with the router, right? : http://www.logiccomputerhouse.com/si...detail&id=8433
Omega_6
Jun8-06, 09:22 PM
Well getting a new router is up to you...but the new ones have far better range. Yes, you can get an adaptor like that, or you can get a wireless networking card. If you do get a card, then make sure it will work with your pc and you will have to install it.
habman_6
Jun8-06, 09:27 PM
Does either one have any advantage over the other?
Omega_6
Jun8-06, 09:55 PM
Quote Quote by habman_6
Does either one have any advantage over the other?
Well, the card would be in your computer and not stuck in one of your usb ports.
Anttech
Jun9-06, 02:31 AM
P: 1,401
Cisco Aironet is the best in the buisness, but u will have to pay over 400$ to own one.

I havent had any problems with Netgear or Linksys (cisco's little brother).

If you want to boost the range of a downmarket WIFI access point, get a better aerial

Register to reply