Internet with router, please read

In summary: If you are using a secured network, it won't take much...There is one last thing to consider. If you have an active cable or satellite TV subscription, you may not be able to use the internet stick because it will use up your data allotment.In summary, if you do not have high speed internet, you cannot use the internet stick to connect to the internet. You will need to connect it to your computer and set your computer to share its internet connection and then plug your PS3 in via the ethernet cable. If you do have high speed internet, you can either connect the internet stick to your computer and set your computer to share its internet connection and then plug your PS
JG89
Okay, here's the deal. I don't have internet on my computer, so I am borrowing my friend's "Rogers mobile internet stick". I have a router from Rogers, even though I don't have internet. The thing is, I need the router to send out a signal so that anything that has wi-fi in my house can pick up my signal, specifically my PS3 (you cannot plug the internet stick into the PS3 directly). I was wondering if there was a way to connect it to my computer, connect the computer to the router, and in some way have the router send out the wireless signal.

All help is appreciated.

Computer science news on Phys.org
The "mobile internet stick" will not provide high enough download / upload speeds to allow you to play a PS3 online. Especially if you are sharing it around other devices as well.

The easiest thing to do would be to plug it into your computer and set your computer to share its internet connection and then plug your PS3 in via the ethernet cable.

If you need wireless, plug it into your computer and set your computer to share its internet connection and then plug your router in via the ethernet cable. Once done it will share the internet around the house.

Note: If it is a modem router, you cannot do the above. You need a router with an ethernet input port.

That said, it still won't be quick enoguh to play anything.

Thanks for the reply.

Is it possible to plug the internet stick into the computer, and then connect the computer to the PS3, but then "restrict" the internet so that all the bandwith goes to the PS3?

If you do the first technique I mentioned and didn't do anything on the PC that would do it, but again, it wouldn't be enough to play a game.

If you had an absolutely perfect signal to the device, the best download speed you can expect is 200kbps. Giving you an upload speed of 20kbps. No where near enough to handle a PS3 online play.

You'd be really lucky to achieve that. I have one of these sticks and it never gives me better than old school download speeds (56kbps).

JG89 said:
Thanks for the reply.

The issue you will encounter is latency issues and that will hamper the ps3 networking.

But the issue you have is that when you start putting network devices between the internet stick and the ps3 you will compound the latency problems inherent to the 3G.

There is a bit of housekeeping traffic that is part of tcp/ip. Plus any encryption that the ps3 will create through its own private network. And if you are then using a wireless router, that is just adding to the mix.

You could create a bridge from the netstick to the ethernet port on the pc, and just don't do any internet functions on the pc. ( make sure you disable any devices or apps that are quietly hitting the internet.

Having a router that supports QOS will help, but probably not too much since the internet is through the pc.

One thought on this would be to eliminate the router, and get a crossover cable and connect the ps3 directly to the pc's ethernet port. Then bridge the ethernet port with the internet stick.

That would be the best case scenario for bandwidth from the ps3 to the 3g connection. You still have latency issues with the 3g connection that would probably make game play less than enjoyable at times.

I'm not sure where the OP is, but I have one and unless you have a hdspa connection via the stick (bloody good signal, near perfect) you won't even get online with it. 3G just won't cut it.

I agree, as per my own previous post the direct connect (PS3 to PC would be best to try).

jarednjames said:
I'm not sure where the OP is, but I have one and unless you have a hdspa connection via the stick (bloody good signal, near perfect) you won't even get online with it. 3G just won't cut it.

I agree, as per my own previous post the direct connect (PS3 to PC would be best to try).

Yeah I didn't actually read your other post right, but yeah what you said.

You are right though, the lag issues will be compiled far too much, especially with a router.

Perhaps getting a wireless dongle is the key and scanning for unsecure networks locally would help? Saved me a few times.

jarednjames said:
You are right though, the lag issues will be compiled far too much, especially with a router.

Perhaps getting a wireless dongle is the key and scanning for unsecure networks locally would help? Saved me a few times.

You can even use secured networks, it does not take much to crack the passwords. And once you crack it the odds are the owner will not change it.

Which reminds me. It is always worthwhile to sniff out other wireless routers within range, because you should not have your wireless router on the same channel. It will diminish your bandwidth and range of your router.

This is especially true with the N routers. They like pure N signals around them on the same channel. This is one of the major reasons people don't get N rated connections from their router.

Buy a reputably secure and capable router! Any Cisco (Linksys) Wireless G or N 54 Mbps or greater series manufactured within the last 12 months would suffice.

Follow the directions! Please employ the maximum security possible as directed in the owners' manual.

In addition, please ensure you're protected against antivirus, phishing, and any other host of Internet attack.

mugaliens said:
Buy a reputably secure and capable router! Any Cisco (Linksys) Wireless G or N 54 Mbps or greater series manufactured within the last 12 months would suffice.

Follow the directions! Please employ the maximum security possible as directed in the owners' manual.

In addition, please ensure you're protected against antivirus, phishing, and any other host of Internet attack.

He wants to use the mobile internet to play PS3 games over the internet. Bandwidth aside, I don't think he'd see any major security issues. If he doesn't use the net on his computer it shouldn't have trouble with that. The PS3 will handle itself if you're only playing games.

A router just lowers available bandwidth for playing games. Ideally it is the direct cable method above.

Using internet connection sharing, to a router, and then out to other devices on your LAN won't be the bottleneck. As previously stated the issue comes in with your internet connection itself. The wireless router in your house won't add much latency at all, however when you use a 3G wireless device to use in a "low latency" environment you will have poor results.

I know for myself using a simular method, I can download off of 3G using my phone tethered around 3Mbps, and upload at 256Kbps. However the latency for it to go to a cell site, convert to ethernet, then get on the ISP's back haul usually adds up 400+ms latency to the first hop outside the providers network. 3G > EVDO etc is not typically ment for the data throughput that gaming requires, and it will depend on the quality of the providers equipment as the bottleneck for 3G and 4G is currently the equipment taking those signals and converting them over to ethernet or TDM circuits for transport.

When it comes to gaming it's mostly all about the latency, how fast a packet gets from point A to point B. I know for a fact you can play PS3 on a 256Kbps / 256Kbps internet connection, as long as you have a low enough latency.

1. What is a router and how does it work?

A router is a networking device that connects multiple devices to a local area network (LAN) or the internet. It acts as a central hub, allowing devices to communicate with each other and access the internet. Routers use a method called routing to determine the best path for data to travel between devices on a network.

2. How does a router provide internet access?

Routers use a process called Network Address Translation (NAT) to translate private IP addresses of devices on a network to a public IP address that can be used on the internet. This allows multiple devices to share a single internet connection through the router.

3. What is the difference between a router and a modem?

A modem is a device that connects your home or business to your internet service provider (ISP). It converts the digital signals from your router into analog signals that can travel over a telephone or cable line. A router, on the other hand, connects devices within a network and allows them to communicate with each other and access the internet.

4. How do I set up a router?

To set up a router, you will need to connect it to your modem and then configure the settings. This typically involves connecting your computer to the router, accessing the router's web-based interface, and entering your network information such as a username and password. You may also need to update the router's firmware to ensure it is running the latest software.

5. Can I use a router with any type of internet connection?

Yes, you can use a router with any type of internet connection, including DSL, cable, fiber optic, or satellite. The only requirement is that the router has a compatible WAN (Wide Area Network) port that can connect to your modem or ISP's network. Some routers also have built-in modems, making them compatible with a wider range of internet connections.