Register to reply

Homemade Helicopter: For the People.

by Imop45
Tags: helicopter, homemade, people
Share this thread:
Imop45
Jun13-06, 12:26 AM
P: 17
Ok, I heard that you could make a cheap, but good helicopter, that's a 1-2 seater, relatively easy. How could this be done?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Study links polar vortex chills to melting sea ice
Lab unveil new nano-sized synthetic scaffolding technique
Cool calculations for cold atoms: New theory of universal three-body encounters
FredGarvin
Jun13-06, 06:30 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
Helicopter and cheap are two words that never go together. Are you referring to something like an autogyro kit that you find in the back of Popular Mechanics and the like?
Mech_Engineer
Jun13-06, 10:55 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,248
Quote Quote by Imop45
Ok, I heard that you could make a cheap, but good helicopter, that's a 1-2 seater, relatively easy. How could this be done?
I think "cheap" is like $20k or $30k, cheap for a helicopter, but not that great. AND not very safe.

brewnog
Jun13-06, 01:33 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,793
Homemade Helicopter: For the People.

I'm waiting for the "how can I build a spaceship to take me to Mars for under $60?" thread.
Imop45
Jun13-06, 01:58 PM
Ok, to clarify, I meant cheap as in, building a Helicopter and not buying a$15,000 motor and things. Yeah, i'm not going to buuld the frame out of duct tape.......I was saving that for the motor parts.
Imop45
Jun13-06, 01:58 PM
I know cheap isn't going to be cheap.
FredGarvin
Jun13-06, 02:25 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
Again, this may be what you are thinking of, but they are not helicopters.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...tml?page=2&c=y
brewnog
Jun13-06, 02:38 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,793
Imop, I don't wanna brush you off cos I used to have all these amazing genuine aspirations to build all sorts of creations when I was younger, but do you really think companies would spend hundreds of millions developing things like cars, hovercraft and helicopters if all there was to it was welding some tubes together in your shed? That's not to say it can't be done, but do you know what's involved?!

Again, not trying to brush you off, but have a look at some of the other threads about building go karts/hovercraft/planes in this forum and see what kind of level of detail you need to go into to do it yourself. Lots of people here have done engineering degrees, and many have years of experience behind them, but I doubt anyone here would feel confident designing something like this in its entirety, from start to finish, on their own!

Having said that, if you have any specific questions here's an excellent place to start asking...
Mech_Engineer
Jun13-06, 06:17 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,248
Quote Quote by brewnog
Lots of people here have done engineering degrees, and many have years of experience behind them, but I doubt anyone here would feel confident designing something like this in its entirety, from start to finish, on their own!
I might be willing to try, if I won the lottery and was bored... But I don't know if I'd be brave enough to fly in it
Imop45
Jun13-06, 10:03 PM
Quote Quote by brewnog
Imop, I don't wanna brush you off cos I used to have all these amazing genuine aspirations to build all sorts of creations when I was younger, but do you really think companies would spend hundreds of millions developing things like cars, hovercraft and helicopters if all there was to it was welding some tubes together in your shed? That's not to say it can't be done, but do you know what's involved?!
No. I don't. Thats why I wanted to learn what was involved. My Grandfather was actually wanting to look into, as he wants a ultralight plane or something related to it. Thanks though.
Danger
Jun14-06, 10:25 AM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
My cousin was planning to build a Scorpion II, and I was certainly looking forward to playing with it. Unfortunately, he died before he had a chance to do it.
magnum40
Jun22-06, 04:24 PM
P: 1
not really a helicopter more like a mix stears like a plane

THE GYROBEE
http://users2.ev1.net/~gyroman/downloads/gbeer50.pdf

Total BEE Kit
http://www.starbeegyros.com/productd...?ID=177&kits=1
wolram
Jun22-06, 09:56 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,685
Quote Quote by magnum40
not really a helicopter more like a mix stears like a plane

THE GYROBEE
http://users2.ev1.net/~gyroman/downloads/gbeer50.pdf

Total BEE Kit
http://www.starbeegyros.com/productd...?ID=177&kits=1
I am sure i read some where that auto gyros were grounded due to rotor strikes on some part of the air frame, in the uk any way.
kleinjahr
Jul6-06, 10:34 AM
P: 75
Didn't PM have ads for plans for a one man chopper. I seem to remember one type with jets/rockets at the blade tips.
DaveC426913
Jul6-06, 11:15 AM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by FredGarvin
Helicopter and cheap are two words that should never go together.

Quote Quote by brewnog
I'm waiting for the "how can I build a spaceship to take me to Mars for under $60?" thread.
Waaay less scary! If your spaceship breaks, you've got plenty of time to fix it.
Francis M
Aug15-06, 07:51 AM
P: 124
The problem I see with this is not so much that they might be cheap (read in: not built well). I'll go out on a limb and say that maaaaaaybeeeeee these have been designed by an AE with a kit plane idea so they decided "hey why not try a kit helicopter, I've got the skills". My problem is that the adds seem to give the impression that you can "send in your money, buy our kit, throw it together and enjoy hours and hours of hovering fun."

Next up is correspondence courses on "Learn to be a Quantum Physicist in your spare time! That's right folks, for just the price of a cup of coffee a day....."
Matson
Jan9-07, 06:53 PM
P: 3
Quote Quote by Mech_Engineer View Post
I think "cheap" is like $20k or $30k, cheap for a helicopter, but not that great. AND not very safe.
For $98 I found plans for a propellor driven backpack used in tandem with a ram chute. They provide blueprints, manufacturers and suppliers of propellors and motors. You can use a body harness or build a little 3 wheeled, kayak looking thing. They both work on the same principles.

They say you can be flying for as little as $2,500 or less. The ram chutes are about $800 used and costs vary on construction.
Ki Man
Jan9-07, 08:03 PM
P: 555
You'd have to go to flight school first and check for how legal the projects are in your area.

They have build it yourself kits for relatively low prices where you can build a small one seat or two seat helicopter. either that or you can get an R22 if you find 200,000 cheap.

Register to reply