Helicopter UAV - Required Power

In summary: However, with a lead-acid battery, you would need 932N of resistance to ascend, and with a lithium battery, you would only need 0.177MJ/kg of resistance to ascend.
Gibsons77
Hey guys,

I'm currently doing conceptual performance analysis of a UAV helicopter in hover. I'm having some conflicting results however, and if anyone could help me out, that would be great. Here are some of the basic design constants I'm working with:

GTOW: 95kg
κ = 1.15 (induced power factor)
σ = 0.07 (solidity ratio)
A = 6.16m^2 (main blade area)
ΩR = 204.17 m/s (tip speed)
CDo = 0.01 (profile drag coefficient)
P(available) = 15,221 W

I'm using this equation, from Principles of Helicopters - Leishman:

P(required) = P(induced) + P(profile)
P(required) = {[κW^(3/2)]/sqrt(2*ρ*A)} + {[ρA(ΩR)^3]*(σ*CDo/8)}

I'm trying to find my performance ceiling in hover, which occurs at P(excess) = P(available) - P(required) = 0.

However, I'm getting that my required power decreases with increasing altitude. This is contrary to helicopters with greater GTOW's. Now, from the equation, I can see that as my density decreases, my induced power term increases and my profile power decreases. This is of course, what I would expect, because of the following:

- while maintaining a constant tip speed (RPM) at a higher altitude, you need more torque and subsequently more power to maintain the same amount of thrust, as thrust=weight (in hover)
- the profile power decreases because the amount of skin friction reduces due to the lower density

Now, I'm trying to determine the maximum ceiling for my UAV. What this essentially tells me, is that, at this particular GTOW (and anything smaller than 150kg), my ceiling is infinite? Ahhh please help me make sense of this. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The Power required might be decreasing, but so is the thrust, as it's also dependent on density, there is a differential in the rates, however.

Too tired to work it out properly, but using Momentum Theory
(hover)
T=2pAVi^2
P=T*Vi=sqrt(T^3/(2pA))
then rearranging
T^3/(2A*P^2)=p

p is the target air density
T=mass*g
A=disk area
P=Power ideal(only induced)
FOM=0.8(guess)
P=FOM*MaxShaftPower

Spreadsheet came up with 0.44
Air is 1.22 ASL
Can't find a density TO altitude calculator, but chart puts it about 9km or 30,000ft

Momentum theory is not accurate, that altitude is pushing the tropopause, and I pulled the FOM out of a hat, so consider that an unobtainable upper theory limit.

Need more data(and time) to increase accuracy, like an actual FOM, min/max collective, etc. Your vessel has to actually be able to climb to the altitude also, no teleportation like the math pretends.

At 0.5 FOM(lowest bound) ~1.1358 maybe 1300m

W=FV
You have 15211W, and gravity gives you 932N resistance for 16.32m/s ideal ascent
FOM(0.8)=9000m/16.32m/s=552s to reach alt
FOM(0.5)=1300m/16.32m/s=80s to reach alt
15211W*552s = 8,396,472J energy required
15211W*80s = 1,216,880J
Assuming fuel fraction of 0.9(rocket mass to orbit)
85.5kg fuel
9000m=0.0987MJ/kg needed
1300m=0.014MJ/kg needed
0.5 (aircraft fuel fraction)
47.5kg fuel
0.177MJ/kg
0.025MJ/kg

Lead-acid battery=0.1MJ/kg
Lithium battery=1.8MJ/kg
gas=46MJ/kg
H2=123MJ/kg

So it is ideally possible with electric or chemical fuel.

1. How is the required power for a helicopter UAV determined?

The required power for a helicopter UAV is determined by several factors, including the weight of the UAV, the lift required to keep it in the air, and the speed and altitude at which it will be flying. The power required also depends on the type and size of the propellers or rotors being used, as well as the aerodynamic design of the UAV.

2. What is the relationship between required power and flight time for a helicopter UAV?

The required power for a helicopter UAV is directly related to its flight time. In general, the higher the power required, the shorter the flight time will be. This is because a higher power output consumes more energy and drains the UAV's battery or fuel supply faster. To increase flight time, the required power must be reduced through improvements in design and technology.

3. How does altitude affect the required power for a helicopter UAV?

Altitude has a significant impact on the required power for a helicopter UAV. As altitude increases, the air becomes thinner and less dense, reducing the lift generated by the rotors or propellers. This means that the UAV needs to work harder to maintain its height, requiring more power. To compensate for this, the UAV may need to have a larger engine or more powerful propellers/rotors.

4. What are some ways to reduce the required power for a helicopter UAV?

There are several ways to reduce the required power for a helicopter UAV. These include using lightweight materials for the frame and components, optimizing the aerodynamic design to reduce drag, and using more efficient propellers or rotors. Another approach is to use advanced technologies such as electric motors or hybrid power systems, which can significantly reduce the power required for flight.

5. How does the required power for a helicopter UAV compare to other types of UAVs?

The required power for a helicopter UAV is typically higher than that of fixed-wing UAVs, which rely on forward motion for lift and do not need to constantly generate lift like a helicopter. However, the required power for a helicopter UAV may be lower than that of multirotor UAVs, which use multiple rotors to generate lift and require more power to overcome the drag of their larger number of blades. The exact power requirements will vary depending on the specific design and purpose of the UAV.