Can a Toy Helicopter Be Programmed for Automatic Hovering?

In summary: It's a simple physical adjustment that can help to stabilize the helicopter.the reason I ask, this can be a very complicated controls problem depending on the constraints and end goals.But even when it's hover, it's not staying in position, and goes diagonal. Any attemp to change angles just make it worse.Try adjusting the weight trim . It's a simple physical adjustment that can help to stabilize the helicopter.
Maor_M
Heya everybody,
I am trying to write a code that will make a toy helicopter to hover. I have cameras that are constantly tracking it, reporting at real time about it's position and angles.
I have control on the yaw (Z axis rotatio), pitch (forward/backward movement), and rotors speed.
I have basic knowledge in physics, so I ask two things:
1. Is it possible??
2. Someone can explain me what are the physical forces working on the helicopter, and if there are equations to balance it??

Thanks bodies...

Engineering news on Phys.org
1) Yes, of course it's possible. That's one of the most significant things about a helicopter, is its ability to hover.

2) Well, there are basically two forces, assuming that you keep it stationary in the horizontal direction. There is gravity, and then there is the lift of the helicopter caused by the spinning rotors "throwing" air underneath them.

Dishsoap said:
1) Yes, of course it's possible. That's one of the most significant things about a helicopter, is its ability to hover.

2) Well, there are basically two forces, assuming that you keep it stationary in the horizontal direction. There is gravity, and then there is the lift of the helicopter caused by the spinning rotors "throwing" air underneath them.
But even when it's hover, it's not staying in position, and goes diagonal. Any attemp to change angles just make it worse.

Maor_M said:
Heya everybody,
I am trying to write a code that will make a toy helicopter to hover. I have cameras that are constantly tracking it, reporting at real time about it's position and angles.
I have control on the yaw (Z axis rotatio), pitch (forward/backward movement), and rotors speed.
1. Is it possible??
2. Someone can explain me what are the physical forces working on the helicopter, and if there are equations to balance it??

Thanks bodies...

In a relatively wind free environment? Yes it's possible for your toy helicopter to hover.

You need your lift to equal the downward force of gravity. The easiest way to do this would be to find the throttle sweet spot that allows hover.

Maor_M said:
But even when it's hover, it's not staying in position, and goes diagonal. Any attemp to change angles just make it worse.

You're never going to get a stationary hover with toy helicopters, there will always be some component of movement along the plane. You can minimize it by playing with the pitch/yaw.

W
Student100 said:
You're never going to get a stationary hover with toy helicopters, there will always be some component of movement along the plane. You can minimize it by playing with the pitch/yaw.

What is that component??

Maor_M said:
Heya everybody,
1. Is it possible??

Thanks bodies...

I need stationary hover, or something close to it

Maor_M said:
WWhat is that component??

They're variable, depending on conditions. If you have cameras tracking the motion, you can create a feed back loop that will supply corrective inputs to minimize the motion.

Maor_M said:
Heya everybody,
1. Is it possible??

Thanks bodies...
what is your academic/professional background?
is this for a project?

the reason I ask, this can be a very complicated controls problem depending on the constraints and end goals.

Maor_M said:

Try adjusting the weight trim .

What is helicopter automatic hovering?

Helicopter automatic hovering is a flight mode where the helicopter maintains a stable position in the air without any manual input from the pilot. It uses a combination of sensors and computer algorithms to adjust the helicopter's controls and maintain a steady position.

How does helicopter automatic hovering work?

Helicopter automatic hovering relies on a variety of sensors, including accelerometers, gyroscopes, and altimeters, to measure the helicopter's position, speed, and altitude. This information is then processed by an onboard computer, which adjusts the helicopter's controls, such as the collective, cyclic, and tail rotor, to maintain a stable hover.

What are the benefits of helicopter automatic hovering?

The main benefit of helicopter automatic hovering is increased safety. It allows the helicopter to stay in a stable position during critical operations, such as search and rescue, firefighting, and military missions. It also reduces pilot workload and fatigue, allowing them to focus on other tasks during flight.

What are the limitations of helicopter automatic hovering?

While helicopter automatic hovering is a useful flight mode, it does have some limitations. It may not work in extreme weather conditions, such as strong winds or turbulence, and it may not be able to compensate for mechanical failures. Additionally, it requires regular maintenance and calibration to ensure its accuracy and reliability.

Is helicopter automatic hovering available on all helicopters?

No, helicopter automatic hovering is not available on all helicopters. It is a relatively new technology and is typically found on larger, more advanced helicopters used for commercial and military purposes. However, as the technology continues to develop, it may become more widely available on smaller helicopters in the future.