Helicopter Spin: What Makes Objects Fall Out?

In summary, during a helicopter spin caused by a malfunctioning rotor, objects and people may appear to be "sucked out" due to centrifugal force in the non-inertial reference frame of the spinning helicopter. However, this is not a common occurrence and may be more of a myth than an actual phenomenon.
TheWonderer1
I understand a helicopter in spin would mean a stabilizer is gone and the helicopter cannot maintain its stable altitude. However, I've noticed that helicopters have a tendency not to dip in free fall. I mention that bc I am curious as to what force is at play when objects and people (sorry for morbid picture) fall out. My understanding is that the helicopter falling disturbs the wind making it pick up in speed. I believe it is Newton's third law at play bc I've noticed that objects will fall out in the opposite direction relative to the motion of the helicopter. I'm sorry if it truly is simple as gravity causes people fall out but I'm unsure. I will also state that the objects could appear to fall in the opposite direction bc they are no longer moving with the plane.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheWonderer1 said:
I will also state that the objects could appear to fall in the opposite direction bc they are no longer moving with the plane.

I'd bet this is the primary factor. Most objects falling out of a helicopter don't have the mass to alter the flight of the helicopter enough to notice any force pairs (action-reaction forces). In other words, they won't push on the helicopter enough to noticeably move it. The only exception might be with helicopters transporting heavy cargo (Chinooks transporting tanks for example).

Thank you! That clears up a bit of it but what is the force causing the object to get pulled out of the helicopter?

Can you clarify the question as it's very confusing...

TheWonderer1 said:
I understand a helicopter in spin would mean a stabilizer is gone and the helicopter cannot maintain its stable altitude. However, I've noticed that helicopters have a tendency not to dip in free fall.

What do you mean by dip? Do you mean they don't pitch nose down like a fixed wing aircraft would if it lost its tail? Fixed wing aircraft pitch nose down for two reasons 1) the center of gravity is normally located in front of the center of lift. 2) a typical cambered wing section produces a nose down pitching moment. The tail plane is setup to produce a nose up pitching moment to counter these effects. So loose the tailplane and it pitches nose down.

On a helicopter the centre of lift is closer to or on the centre of gravity so a horizontal tailplane may not be needed. The tail rotor is primarily to counter engine torque.
I mention that bc I am curious as to what force is at play when objects and people (sorry for morbid picture) fall out. My understanding is that the helicopter falling disturbs the wind making it pick up in speed. I believe it is Newton's third law at play bc I've noticed that objects will fall out in the opposite direction relative to the motion of the helicopter. I'm sorry if it truly is simple as gravity causes people fall out but I'm unsure. I will also state that the objects could appear to fall in the opposite direction bc they are no longer moving with the plane.

Again it's not clear what you mean by opposite direction?

If the helicopter rotor is still producing some lift it won't fall vertically at the same rate of acceleration as someone who jumps out. The person may fall faster than the helicopter.

If the helicopter is moving forward when a person jumps out then the person will slow down (in the horizontal direction) due to air resistance and may appear to be "left behind" as they fall. They don't actually start moving in the opposite direction but it can appear so if the camera continues to follow the helicopter.

TheWonderer1 said:
I'm sorry if it truly is simple as gravity causes people fall out
No need to feel sorry, unless you pushed them.

Likes Mathijsgri
Ok, the rotor takes a hit or possibly some stabilizer. Then, the helicopter starts to lose altitude bc there is a malfunctioning rotor. The helicopter starts to spin, right? What makes it appear as though objects get sucked out? It's not decompression like on a plane but could be I guess? I don't think it's gravity either. I'm saying a critical failure has occurred and the helicopter starts to fall out of the sky. The objects not strapped down get sucked out. I'm asking what force or physical principle is the cause of this.

Centrifugal force (aka the inertial force experienced by objects in the non-inertial reference frame of the spinning helicopter).

Likes CWatters
TheWonderer1 said:
I'm saying a critical failure has occurred and the helicopter starts to fall out of the sky. The objects not strapped down get sucked out.

I wasn't aware this even happened. I suppose centrifugal force could have some effect, but I have no idea how much. Are you sure this is an actual phenomenon and not a myth?

What ulianjay said. If the tail rotor fails the engine torque can cause the whole helicopter to spin and centrifugal force can cause things or people to fly out of any open doors.

1. What is the helicopter spin and how does it work?

The helicopter spin is a phenomenon that occurs when an object is dropped or thrown with a spin. As the object falls, the air resistance causes it to rotate, resulting in a unique motion similar to that of a helicopter's rotor blades. This spin is caused by the conservation of angular momentum, which dictates that a spinning object will continue to spin unless acted upon by an external force.

2. Why do objects fall out of the helicopter spin?

Objects fall out of the helicopter spin due to the same force that causes them to spin in the first place: air resistance. As the object rotates, the air resistance creates a force that acts against the direction of motion, causing the object to slow down and eventually fall out of the spin.

3. Can any object experience the helicopter spin?

Yes, any object that is dropped or thrown with a spin can experience the helicopter spin. However, the size, shape, and weight of the object can affect the intensity and duration of the spin.

4. Are there any real-life applications of the helicopter spin?

Yes, the helicopter spin can be seen in various sports such as football, where a spinning football may have a curved trajectory due to the air resistance. It is also used in some engineering designs, such as gyroscopes, which use the principle of angular momentum to maintain stability and orientation.

5. Is the helicopter spin affected by gravity?

Yes, gravity plays a significant role in the helicopter spin. As the object falls, the force of gravity pulls it downward, causing it to accelerate. This acceleration, combined with the air resistance, results in the unique motion of the helicopter spin.