Which way should my fan spin

by Pengwuino
Tags: spin
Share this thread:
Pengwuino
Jul17-06, 08:06 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
I forget, which direction do you set ceiling fans to spin (clockwise or counter looking from below) in teh summer? It's about 10,000 degrees and im taking every measure not to die.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
Chi Meson
Jul17-06, 08:12 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,772
The correct direction is whichever way makes it cooler for you. Mostly, that's when they are pushing air down, and that is most often counterclockwise. Some fans are "reverse threaded" though.
Moonbear
Jul17-06, 08:18 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Whichever way blows the air at you. Usually clockwise, unless someone managed to install the fan blades backward. At least you didn't have to climb around with sheep in the heat. Even a fan wasn't helping me. Nothing but a cold shower followed up by a cold beer. The beer is more for the aching muscles from yesterday's adventures...I had one that injured a hoof and I was the only one at the farm and didn't see much point in bothering the vet on a Sunday when she'd do exactly what I could do...except I'm out of practice at flipping them onto their butts to treat feet...they don't sit that way willingly.

Edit: Or maybe that's counterclockwise? The edge of the blade that's highest should lead, and the lower side should follow, if that makes sense.

Evo
Jul17-06, 08:18 PM
Mentor
P: 26,426
Which way should my fan spin

Quote Quote by Chi Meson
The correct direction is whichever way makes it cooler for you. Mostly, that's when they are pushing air down, and that is most often counterclockwise.
Correct answer.
Astronuc
Jul17-06, 08:19 PM
Admin
P: 21,808
Standard ceiling fan controls usually include one for speed (high, medium, low, and off), one for the light (on and off), and one for directional control of the fan blades (clockwise and counterclockwise). These vary depending on the make, model, and age of the fan; computerized and remote-controlled ceiling fans are becoming very popular as the technology becomes regularly available.

Ceiling fans are normally used as a cooling device in warm months by pushing air down from above, thereby creating a wind chill effect. In winter months, a ceiling fan can act as a heat transferrer by reversing the direction of the blades. By doing so, the fan pulls air up, thereby pushing the warmer air that stratifies near the ceiling down along the walls; as long as the fan is set at a low speed, this will not create a wind chill. A fan on reverse has the leading edge of the fan blades being the downward edge; in most cases this rotation is clockwise when the operator is standing below and looking upwards at the fan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceiling_fan

It depends on blade pitch. If you want the fan to push the air down, then it needs to be rotating in the direction of the higher side. If the high side is to the left looking up at the blade and from root over the top of one's head, then the fan should be turning counterclockwise to bring air down. If the high side is on the right side of the blade, then it should be turning clockwise.
Cyrus
Jul17-06, 08:22 PM
P: 4,780
Stick your head in the fanblades to find out, at eye level.
Moonbear
Jul17-06, 08:24 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by cyrusabdollahi
Stick your head in the fanblades to find out, at eye level.
You must have missed that MythBusters episode. All that'll do is give him a big lump on the forehead.
Pengwuino
Jul17-06, 08:32 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Moonbear
You must have missed that MythBusters episode. All that'll do is give him a big lump on the forehead.
Yup! And then the fan woudl break!

Get out of my thread cyrus.
Cyrus
Jul17-06, 08:38 PM
P: 4,780
You guys obviously missed the metal industrial fan they used. That sliced into the guys head.
chroot
Jul17-06, 08:44 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,429
I once burned out a ceiling fan in the living room of my parents' house. I tied a 10-foot long piece of string to one of the blades, with a bunch of cheerios looped on the other end. Then I turned the fan on high and let the dog loose in the room.

Five minutes later, the dog had knocked over half the furniture in the room, caught the cheerios, and put the fan out of its misery.

- Warren
Moonbear
Jul17-06, 08:49 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by chroot
I once burned out a ceiling fan in the living room of my parents' house. I tied a 10-foot long piece of string to one of the blades, with a bunch of cheerios looped on the other end. Then I turned the fan on high and let the dog loose in the room.

Five minutes later, the dog had knocked over half the furniture in the room, caught the cheerios, and put the fan out of its misery.

- Warren
I'll bet the dog was quite amused, and the parents were not.

I apparently just can't tell clockwise from counterclockwise when looking up.
Pengwuino
Jul17-06, 08:54 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by cyrusabdollahi
You guys obviously missed the metal industrial fan they used. That sliced into the guys head.
Yes but i don't have a lawnmower attached to my steel bladed fan.

Its starting to smell like cooked fish in here...
JamesU
Jul17-06, 08:59 PM
PF Gold
P: 745
I think thatpengwuino should no longer be able to make pointless threads--every one of his threads has to be approved by me, cyrus, and Evo
Pengwuino
Jul17-06, 09:02 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by yomamma
I think thatpengwuino should no longer be able to make pointless threads--every one of his threads has to be approved by me, cyrus, and Evo
Why should a bunch of kids have the same power as the supreme one?
Moonbear
Jul17-06, 09:05 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by yomamma
Ah, yes, because you're the expert on pointless threads, right?
Pengwuino
Jul17-06, 09:08 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Moonbear
Ah, yes, because you're the expert on pointless threads, right?
high five moonbear!
Danger
Jul17-06, 10:19 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Quote Quote by Moonbear
I apparently just can't tell clockwise from counterclockwise when looking up.

Unless those sailors are all lying, you are perfectly well acquainted with which way the ceiling fan turns.
Moonbear
Jul17-06, 10:31 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Danger

Unless those sailors are all lying, you are perfectly well acquainted with which way the ceiling fan turns.
Yeah, but I'm not thinking about whether it's clockwise or counter.

Register to reply