Tips to keep your house cool in summer

In summary, there are a lot of strategies that can help to avoid it being total hell indoors in this hot weather. Some of these include closing doors and windows, avoiding the use of fans, and using radiation counts to determine when it is safe to venture out.
OmCheeto said:
Although I do have an A/C unit, it's a bit small at 600 watts, so I do have to be mindful of heat sources.
I discovered last week that one room in particular got much warmer than the rest of the house, did some IR thermal scanning and found it was mostly due to a single window. It's 2 m2, and by my rough calculations accounts for 25% of my total heat flow. So I hung a large aluminized tarp to shield it. It seems to help a lot.

Today it's supposed to be 99°F/37°C, so I may turn on my attic fan. It's a 12 volt experiment left over from last year, and isn't permanently wired.
Currently, it's about 9 am(savings time, so 8 am in real time) in the morning, and the temperature outside is the same as in. About 72°F/22°C.
Attic temperature is 70°F/21°C, so it appears I have a bit of time left.*
Crawl space temperature is a surprising 67°F/20°C. I'd have thought it would be much cooler than that.

*Done!
We find the aluminized tarp is very effective here as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
dLouie said:
We find the aluminized tarp is very effective here as well.
Just talked to my sister in San Diego last night. She said she's going to install a silver "TPO" roof this summer.
I didn't know what that was, so I googled it: Thermoplastic Olefin
Basically, a high end aluminized tarp.

jim hardy said:
I ran a garden hose up to the roof and placed three yard sprinklers along the peak.
Around noon and a a couple times mid to late afternoon i turn them on for five or ten minutes.
I see steam coming from the hot shingles and feel a slight difference in radiant heat inside the house.

I'm not instrumented so it's un-scientific

Just ran the numbers, as I can't find my numbers from last summer, and like you, it made a difference:

It would require about 10 gallons per hour to negate my roofs solar input, worst local case.

but it's quite a visual effect and the talk of the neighborhood.
If you're not the talk of the neighborhood, you're not doing it right.

Likes jim hardy
OmCheeto said:
Just ran the numbers, as I can't find my numbers from last summer, and like you, it made a difference:

It would require about 10 gallons per hour to negate my roofs solar input, worst local case.
I think you must be using some pretty pessimistic parameters - you don't need to have the roof surface a lot cooler than at its worst in order to get a subjective improvement, I'm sure. If you talk in terms of 1kW / square metre over half of the daylight period, would you really need to evaporate 50l of water? (Sorry but I find Imperial stuff very confusing) 50l is a significant cost every day when you're on a meter. But I guess it would compete well with AC running co

Edit: I was well off-beam about the cost of the water. As an emergency measure it could be excellent value. I could even try it if the coming Summer is as hot as the last one.

Last edited:
sophiecentaur said:
. If you talk in terms of 1kW / square metre over half of the daylight period, would you really need to evaporate 50l of water? (Sorry but I find Imperial stuff very confusing) 50l is a significant cost every day when you're on a meter.

Please check this, it's easy to mess it up.
Let's assume a roof area of 85 ##m^2## and 6 hours per day, at ## 1 \frac {kw} {m^2}##. Then the water evaporated will be about:
$$
85 m^2 \frac {1 kw} {m^2}
\frac {3413 Btu} {kw-hr}
\frac {6 hr} {day}
\frac {lbm} {1100 Btu}
\frac {US gal} {8.3 lbm}
= 190 \frac {US gal} {day}
$$

[Please excuse the odd spacing, I am just now learning LaTeX.]
This seems kind of high, doesn't it? This is 8.5 liter/day, per square meter. I'm not sure what area and time you used @sophiecentaur, to get your 50 liter value.

Likes jim hardy
gmax137 said:
'm not sure what area and time you used @sophiecentaur, to get your 50 liter value.
Haha - I was just using @OmCheeto 's value of 10gallons as a starter. I should have done my own sums.
I must say, your 190 (albeit tiny US) gallons per day feels more likely. There would be one unpleasant consequence of such a large amount of water over my roof: we have very hard water here and the roof tiles would soon be white with limescale.

sophiecentaur said:
I think you must be using some pretty pessimistic parameters - you don't need to have the roof surface a lot cooler than at its worst in order to get a subjective improvement, I'm sure.
As you can probably infer from my slowness in response, I'm having trouble coming up with a justification for that number.

As with all thermodynamics problems, this one is giving me a headache.

ps. In my defense, I did say:

OmCheeto said:
...my roofs solar input...

Looking at the google Earth image, I'd say I'm quite lucky in the summer.

With the exception of my eastern neighbor's roof length, all number are heights.

Guessing my A/C bill in the summer would go up if all my neighbors cut down their trees.