Register to reply

Is it easier to push a lawnmover or pull it?

by konichiwa2x
Tags: easier, lawnmover, pull, push
Share this thread:
konichiwa2x
Jul27-06, 12:26 PM
P: 81
The answer is it is easier to pull a lawnmover than to push it. I understand it logically but how do you prove it? My teacher says it has something to do with resolution of vectors. Can someone please explain?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
robphy
Jul27-06, 12:31 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,132
Start by drawing a free-body diagram [What are the forces involved?]
... clearly indicating the push force in one case and the pull force in the other.
Andrew Mason
Jul27-06, 01:38 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 6,679
Quote Quote by konichiwa2x
The answer is it is easier to pull a lawnmover than to push it. I understand it logically but how do you prove it? My teacher says it has something to do with resolution of vectors. Can someone please explain?
I don't think it makes any difference at all if it has good wheels. The normal force is different depending on whether it is being pushed or pulled (assuming you are doing this by way of a handle inclined at an angle greater than 0 to the horizontal), but this should not affect the force required to move it, if it has proper wheels.

AM

robphy
Jul27-06, 02:42 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,132
Is it easier to push a lawnmover or pull it?

Is there friction in the problem?
NateTG
Jul27-06, 02:49 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,537
Really, the question should be asked about a sled (where the difference is much more apparent).
daveb
Jul27-06, 03:29 PM
P: 925
Well, for a manual mower, it depends on whether the blades would be moving as you push/pull the mower, and also whether grass is actually being cut (if the blades are moving). For a gas one, it's generally easier to push it since almost all of them have automatic forward motion, and it takes some amount of work to keep ahold of it.
Chi Meson
Jul27-06, 07:40 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,772
The classic answer has to do with the fact that as you push the handle you are pushing down slightly, and if you pull the handle, you pull up slightly. These actions would increase and decrease the normal force respectively (this increase/decrease friction). But, as anyone who has ever cut grass should know, when pushing, you push the handle horizontally. Sometimes the push is slighly up, isn't it? Depending on the push you will introduce a torque to the system and more normal force will be on one set of wheels (usually the front).

In other words, this is a classic problem that fails completely in the real world. Other factors completely obliterate the expected effect.
0rthodontist
Jul27-06, 08:32 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,253
You can't push the handle horizontally unless the handle is itself horizontal. You always have to push very close to the direction of the handle unless your grip is so strong you can lock your wrists against the torque the lawnmower exerts on the handle.
Andrew Mason
Jul27-06, 08:52 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by Chi Meson
The classic answer has to do with the fact that as you push the handle you are pushing down slightly, and if you pull the handle, you pull up slightly. These actions would increase and decrease the normal force respectively (this increase/decrease friction). But, as anyone who has ever cut grass should know, when pushing, you push the handle horizontally. Sometimes the push is slighly up, isn't it? Depending on the push you will introduce a torque to the system and more normal force will be on one set of wheels (usually the front).

In other words, this is a classic problem that fails completely in the real world. Other factors completely obliterate the expected effect.
I see your point about the torque, but why would it increase friction when you pushed down on the mower if it has proper wheels?

AM
Office_Shredder
Jul27-06, 09:43 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,500
If you push down on the mower, there is a greater normal force between the wheels and the shaft.

What kind of super wheels are you using that have zero friction?
Andrew Mason
Jul27-06, 09:48 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by Office_Shredder
If you push down on the mower, there is a greater normal force between the wheels and the shaft.

What kind of super wheels are you using that have zero friction?
Wheels with bearings.

AM
pallidin
Jul27-06, 09:48 PM
P: 2,292
Not only that, but have you noticed a tendency for one to "push" a lawnmover with both hands, yet pull it backwards with only one?
Andrew Mason
Jul27-06, 09:55 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by pallidin
Not only that, but have you noticed a tendency for one to "push" a lawnmover with both hands, yet pull it backwards with only one?
Most of us don't like walking backward. It is easier to pull it with one hand. The point here is that the difference in normal force between pushing and pulling will have virtually no effect on the frictional energy loss in horizontal motion, if the mower has proper wheels (good bearings).

AM
Office_Shredder
Jul27-06, 10:41 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,500
Good bearings reduce, not eliminate, friction.
And most lawnmowers are not made with great bearings (if any).
3trQN
Jul27-06, 11:24 PM
P: 349
When i push a mower (the mechanical type, where the push drives the blades) i lean into the direction of motion.
I do the same in reverse.

But most of these mowers have a rear roller wheel that the mower pivots on, so the blades lift off the grass when its pulled (non-cutting side of the cutting rotor) and tilt back flush to engage the grass and its pushed forward.

So with that said, pulling is easier because the cutter is not doing any work.
Chi Meson
Jul28-06, 07:24 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,772
Quote Quote by Andrew Mason
I see your point about the torque, but why would it increase friction when you pushed down on the mower if it has proper wheels?

AM
Ideally, the increase in normal force would increase the friction, but in the real world the resulting increase in friction in the wheel bearings would be so insignificant, even if the bearings were not that great. Other factors, already mentioned, are far more significant in determining which way is easier.
konichiwa2x
Aug4-06, 11:48 AM
P: 81
Maybe I should have rephrased the question. The lawnmover is moving on a flat ground. Lets assume there is no grass. Friction needs to be taken into account.
Anyway here is my view on this.
Let the force applied while pulling/pushing be F newtons. While pushing the net force acting on the lawnmover is F + mgcos where 'm' is the mass of the lawnmover. While pulling mgcos acts opposite to the pull therefore the resultant force is F - mgcos. Therefore, the work done is less. and hence, it is easier to push than to pull.

Is this right??
berkeman
Aug4-06, 12:27 PM
Mentor
P: 41,085
Quote Quote by Office_Shredder
Good bearings reduce, not eliminate, friction.
And most lawnmowers are not made with great bearings (if any).
I think the point is not so much about the friction of the wheel bearings, it's due to the softness of the grass and dirt. On a hard surface, yeah, with good wheel bearings there would be a trivial difference in effort. But on soft grass, I think there is probably a measurable difference. Well, except for the good point that mowing backwards would be obnoxious....

Register to reply