What does atmospheric pressure have to do with the gauge pressure?

In summary, the video explains the concept of gauge pressure and how it is affected by atmospheric pressure. Gauge devices work by utilizing a spring that takes into account the atmospheric pressure. The simplified explanation in the video may not be entirely accurate, as there is also a spring within the gauge that helps measure the pressure. Without this spring, the gauge would not be able to accurately measure pressure.
Callmelucky
Homework Statement
Please explain if you want/can, thank you.
Relevant Equations
P = F/A
P(total) = P(gauge) + P(atm)
In this video( ) it's explained what is gauge pressure.

Can someone please explain to me what does atmospheric pressure acting on a tube(in video at 3:51) has to do with displacement of a tube?
I understand that the atmospheric pressure acts on the tube, but in the open space that does not cause the tube to move, it just causes pressure on both ends of the tube, therefor no movement.
So if there was no pressure inside the tire that was greater than atmospheric pressure the tube wouldn't move.

I can understand that gauge devices work if they have some kind of spring inside them that takes of atmospheric pressure from total pressure which is 1.033 kg/cm2 at the sea level. But I don't understand how atmospheric pressure does that by himself(as he said in 3:51 "the atmospheric pressure pushes back on the tube")

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
My advice is to never watch this video again.

• Love
Likes Tom.G and Callmelucky
Callmelucky said:
Homework Statement:: Please explain if you want/can, thank you.
Relevant Equations:: P = F/A
P(total) = P(gauge) + P(atm)

I can understand that gauge devices work if they have some kind of spring inside them that takes of atmospheric pressure from total pressure which is 1.033 kg/cm2 at the sea level. But I don't understand how atmospheric pressure does that by himself(as he said in 3:51 "the atmospheric pressure pushes back on the tube")
Well I guess he over simplified in his quest to explain gauge pressure.
and your right there would be a spring within the guage
Your ordinary pencil tire gauge looks like this inside.
1675252714154.png

On one side of the orange piston there is the force from the tire pressure.
On the other side is the force from the compressed spring AND the force from the atmospheric pressure.
If there was no spring the piston would more completely to the right end regardless of tire pressure.

Likes Callmelucky and Lnewqban
256bits said:
Well I guess he over simplified in his quest to explain gauge pressure.
and your right there would be a spring within the guage
Your ordinary pencil tire gauge looks like this inside.
View attachment 321531
On one side of the orange piston there is the force from the tire pressure.
On the other side is the force from the compressed spring AND the force from the atmospheric pressure.
If there was no spring the piston would more completely to the right end regardless of tire pressure.
Thank you.

Likes 256bits

1. What is atmospheric pressure?

Atmospheric pressure is the force per unit area exerted by the weight of the Earth's atmosphere on a surface. It is typically measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or millibars (mb).

2. How does atmospheric pressure affect gauge pressure?

Gauge pressure is the pressure measured by a pressure gauge, relative to atmospheric pressure. This means that atmospheric pressure has a direct impact on gauge pressure, as it sets the baseline for pressure measurements.

3. Why is atmospheric pressure important in gauge pressure measurements?

Atmospheric pressure serves as a reference point for gauge pressure measurements, as it is the pressure exerted by the surrounding air on an object. Without taking atmospheric pressure into account, gauge pressure measurements would not accurately reflect the true pressure on an object.

4. What happens to gauge pressure in areas with high atmospheric pressure?

In areas with high atmospheric pressure, the gauge pressure will also be higher. This is because the weight of the atmosphere is greater, resulting in a higher baseline pressure for gauge measurements.

5. How does atmospheric pressure affect weather patterns?

Atmospheric pressure plays a crucial role in the formation of weather patterns. Changes in atmospheric pressure can cause air to move from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure, resulting in wind and other weather phenomena. High atmospheric pressure is associated with clear skies and fair weather, while low atmospheric pressure can lead to storms and precipitation.