Box on a slanted plank with friction attached to a spring

In summary, the conversation discusses the force of friction and pull of gravity in a problem involving a spring and a load on a slope. The confusion arises about the direction of the friction force and it is explained that friction always acts against motion. The conversation also highlights the importance of considering all forces in a problem to determine the correct direction of friction.
rakailee
Homework Statement
A 2.0 kg box rests on a plank that is inclined at an angle of 65 degrees above the horizontal. The upper end of the box is attached to a spring with a force constant of 360 N/m. If the coefficient of static friction between the box and the plank is 0.22, what is the maximum amount the spring can be stretched and the box to remain at rest?
Relevant Equations
Fnet = ma, Ff = Fn(.22), F = kx
I first find the force of friction to be (2)(9.8)cos(65)(.22), then I find the pull of gravity to be (2)(9.8)sin(65).

The full equation I set up to be: 0 = kx + force of friction minus the pull of gravity

This gives me the wrong answer, 0.44 . My free-body diagram is that kx and force of friction go in the same direction upwards and the pull of gravity counters that. I think if I played around with the signs I would arrive at the right answer, but I can't see the logic behind it. Could someone explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
rakailee said:
My free-body diagram is that kx and force of friction go in the same direction upwards

I think your confusion is arising because, in the absence of the tension force, the friction would indeed point up the slope for equilibrium. Can you reason as to what the direction of the friction would be in this problem?

The best way to think about it is to consider what would happen if the frictional force weren't there at all - which direction would the slippage be in? Then, insert the frictional force in the direction opposite to this.

Likes PeroK
Is “point up the slope” the same direction as the reverse spring force? I believe the slippage to be down the slope, so the fictional force would be up the slope, which is the same direction as the spring force. Is this not correct?
Edit: homework prompt should b spring, not string

We're interested in the point at which the tension is a maximum. Which direction does the frictional force need to point in if we still want the equilibrium condition, with the largest possible tension?

To put it another way, the box is on the point of moving up the slope...

Likes rakailee
rakailee said:
Is “point up the slope” the same direction as the reverse spring force? I believe the slippage to be down the slope, so the fictional force would be up the slope, which is the same direction as the spring force. Is this not correct?

To put it more blunty: if you try to pull a load up a slope, then in your model friction helps! If you get a large enough friction force, then you wouldn't have to pull at all! Friction would do all the work against gravity.

The moral is that friction always acts against motion. If the gravity force is greater than the spring force, then friction acts against downward acceleration. And, if the spring force is greater, then friction acts against upwards acceleration.

PeroK said:
friction always acts against motion
In other circumstances that can lead to a wrong application. Better to say it acts against relative motion of the surfaces in contact.

Related to Box on a slanted plank with friction attached to a spring

1. What is a box on a slanted plank with friction attached to a spring?

A box on a slanted plank with friction attached to a spring is a physical system that consists of a box placed on a plank that is inclined at an angle, with a spring attached to the box and the plank. The box is subject to the force of gravity and the frictional force between the box and the plank, while the spring provides a restoring force.

2. What is the purpose of studying this system?

The purpose of studying this system is to understand the behavior of objects on inclined planes and the role of friction and spring forces in affecting their motion. This system can also be used to model real-world situations, such as objects sliding down a ramp or a car driving on a curved road.

3. How does the angle of the plank affect the motion of the box?

The angle of the plank affects the motion of the box by changing the component of the force of gravity that acts parallel to the plank. As the angle increases, the component of the force of gravity also increases, causing the box to accelerate down the plank at a faster rate.

4. What is the role of friction in this system?

Friction plays a crucial role in this system by opposing the motion of the box. As the box slides down the plank, the frictional force between the box and the plank acts in the opposite direction, slowing down the box's motion. Without friction, the box would continue to slide down the plank indefinitely.

5. How does the spring affect the motion of the box?

The spring affects the motion of the box by providing a restoring force that opposes the displacement of the box from its equilibrium position. As the box moves down the plank, the spring stretches, creating a force that pulls the box back towards its original position. This force can change the speed and direction of the box's motion, depending on the properties of the spring and the initial conditions of the system.