Register to reply

How do aircraft fly upside down?

by paddy-boy66
Tags: aircraft, upside
Share this thread:
paddy-boy66
Sep1-06, 04:12 AM
P: 10
Can anybody tell me how aircraft fly up side down? I'm an under grad aero student and cant see how aircraft do. Can any aircraft theoretically fly up side down?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
J77
Sep1-06, 05:05 AM
P: 1,157
Quote Quote by paddy-boy66
Can anybody tell me how aircraft fly up side down? I'm an under grad aero student and cant see how aircraft do. Can any aircraft theoretically fly up side down?
You just need to adjust the angle of attack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_of_attack)
LURCH
Sep1-06, 06:22 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,510
Aerodynamically, yes, any aircraft can fly upside down, but for most ut is very innefficient. Also, some have structural limitations that won't take the strain, and many have engine limitations that will stop the flow of fuel.

paddy-boy66
Sep1-06, 07:47 AM
How do aircraft fly upside down?

but doesn't the resultant lift always act in one direction relative to the "upper" surface so if its upside down wont the "lift" be downwards? Am i being stupid in saying this?
J77
Sep1-06, 07:55 AM
P: 1,157
Angle of attack's like sticking your hand out of the car window - if you tilt your hand, you feel the force upwards or downwards - same for a plane.
Gokul43201
Sep1-06, 08:02 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
but doesn't the resultant lift always act in one direction relative to the "upper" surface so if its upside down wont the "lift" be downwards? Am i being stupid in saying this?
No, you've fallen prey to the most pervasive fallacy in aerodynamics - the Equal Transit Time fairy tale. Google that phrase, and you'll find many places that show how it's wrong.
Danger
Sep1-06, 08:10 AM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
That having been said, aeroplanes that are designed for aerobatic manoeuvres have specialized wings, control surfaces, and engines. Stagger-wing biplanes are particularly well-suited to it.
Astronuc
Sep1-06, 08:15 AM
Admin
P: 21,806
Can any aircraft theoretically fly up side down?
Well considering that some aircraft fly upside down, it is actual rather than theoretical. Practially, it is limited to small aircaft, acrobatic and jet fighters, and the like.

Many aircraft, particularly large aircraft are not designed nor build to fly upside down, and most likely would disassemble (wings falling off or engines failing) if they tried to fly upside down.

Generally, the angle of attack is greater when the craft is inverted.
Averagesupernova
Sep1-06, 08:31 AM
P: 2,497
Hmmmmmmmmm. I'll have to try that with a 747 on my flight sim.
Danger
Sep1-06, 08:50 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Averagesupernova
Hmmmmmmmmm. I'll have to try that with a 747 on my flight sim.
Do you also have a crash-team sim?
paddy-boy66
Sep1-06, 08:53 AM
thats awesome thanks guys! i'd like to see a 747 flying upside down
russ_watters
Sep1-06, 02:07 PM
Mentor
P: 22,224
Here's another way to think about it: normal wing flying upside down is just a poorly shaped wing flying right-side-up.
Quote Quote by Astronuc
Well considering that some aircraft fly upside down, it is actual rather than theoretical.
I think, perhaps, by "any", he meant every. Though pretty much any *airfoil* is capable of producing negative lift (or positive lift while inverted), many *planes* cannot fly inverted for various other reasons (structural, fuel flow, lift/drag ratio, etc).
Hootenanny
Sep1-06, 02:19 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,781
I believe that a 747 would theoretically would be able to fly upside down, however, it's wings and tail fin would be ripped off by the forces involved in executing the role.
Cyrus
Sep3-06, 09:07 PM
P: 4,780
You want to fly an airliner upside down, sure here it is:

http://www.aviationpics.de/airshow/707buzz3.jpg

It is entirely possible and has been done.

Here is the corresponding video:

http://www.aviationexplorer.com/707_roll_video.htm

If done properly, the forces are not a problem, nothing would be ripped off.

It's called a chandelle and it's a 1g manuver. If your airplane is going to fall appart at 1g, you have bigger problems.
paddy-boy66
Sep4-06, 02:04 AM
so then how do aircraft fly perpendicular to the ground, or is there a component of the thrust equal to g?
Danger
Sep4-06, 02:45 AM
PF Gold
They can't do it for long. In the case of aerobatic machines, the fusilage provides lift, although not as much as the wings. With military jets, it's more a matter of pure thrust vs. gravity. Don't try it with a Cessna 150.
Cyrus
Sep4-06, 04:54 PM
P: 4,780
so then how do aircraft fly perpendicular to the ground, or is there a component of the thrust equal to g?
It's called a knife edge.

For one thing, you get body lift as Danger said. But that is very minor. You also get some lift from the tail fin which is now acting as a wing, but again thats only minor. And if you look carefully, you will always notice that the nose of the airplane is pointed upwards. This is for good reason, becasue the tail is pointed down. This means the thrust has a component in the upwards direction. Thrust is the name of the game here. You need to have a very high thrust/weight ratio in order to do this, or your airplane will fall out of the sky.

Here is a picture for clarity:

http://www.rcgroups.com/articles/ezo.../knifeedge.jpg

http://www.wtp.net/DBEST/webimages/lonniecaprice.jpg

http://moleski.net/rc/pix/dc3.jpg
russ_watters
Sep5-06, 12:32 PM
Mentor
P: 22,224
Quote Quote by cyrusabdollahi
You want to fly an airliner upside down, sure here it is:

If done properly, the forces are not a problem, nothing would be ripped off.

It's called a chandelle and it's a 1g manuver. If your airplane is going to fall appart at 1g, you have bigger problems.
I don't want to get too much into semantecs, but since it was a 1g, transient maneuver, I don't know that I'd call that "flying upside-down".

I suspect an airliner could structurally handle flying inverted, but that its wings would not be efficient enough to keep it in the air (high angle of attack required = too much drag).

Register to reply